• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2SNK: A fighting game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Sphere make those Mushroom Hill textures a while back?

Anyways, I think I'm the only person here still unimpressed. Not just because of Azure Lake, but because of pretty much EVERY "good looking" wad that played poorly and/or was lacking, or ANYTHING that looks good but ain't good on the inside (Cough90%ofmoderngamescough). I just can't be impressed all that much by screens alone anymore. I can only see this being awesome, or under Azure Lake Syndrome*: Looks good, but plays bad.

*Which technically was around for ages, probably since Eggmanway, which started in 1.08 of all times. Also includes the Emerald Isles, Golden Ruins, and that Star Wars mod, just off the top of my head.

D00D and Kyasarin:
You two really piss me off because you two think you're entitled to be impressed by everything. You both think that the entire purpose of custom maps is to make you happy. Your arrogance will be the death of the modding community, I assure you.

I can confirm that the level design we have so far is nothing worth mentioning. Of course, do keep in mind that we have a little less than 0% of the actual project done right now. The folks are showing off what little they have done because that's really all they can do for the public at the moment. As Kaysakado has mentioned before, I already have about a fifth of the soundtrack completed, which is probably more than any percentage anyone else on the project can give about what they're working on, so if anything the public can actually use comes first, my music will be it.

What I can say about what is complete (as far as gameplay goes) is that going through SRB2's levels with the bubble shield is fun ****.

BlueZero, they have a right to be skeptical in this case. This really promising mod so far has absolutely nothing to show but some pretty screenshots. None of those screenshots really show anything except a very nice translation of S3K's graphics into texturing.

To be honest while the screenshots are really pretty, until we have something playable there's nothing really to be impressed by here except the graphics, and if you're not a huge fan of S3K then there's nothing to see here.

Personally I'm a huge fan of S3K and if nothing else, I find the screenshots really appealing. Whether or not it'll play well is something I've got no clue of, though.

D00D and Kyasarin:
You two really piss me off because you two think you're entitled to be impressed by everything. You both think that the entire purpose of custom maps is to make you happy. Your arrogance will be the death of the modding community, I assure you.

Arn't the point of video games, and thus, this mod for a video game, to entertain? Frankly, last time I checked, editing was mostly a hype & critique forum, showcasing progress done and seeing reactions, or getting feedback. I am showing my opinion on it, and that is I am not seeing much to be swooning over in this mod anymore, because I have realized that screenshots mean barely anything anymore unless it's something TRULY different or exciting, and their 1000 words are worthless dribble. And being that I created a nice-looking*-yet-horrible-playing level before, I know first hand.

Also I'm certain there are multiple other things plaguing the community. This is just one of them, and I am MORE than sure people have been doing this before I came along.

On another note, liking Sonic 2 over Sonic 3&K and finding S3&K not that great at all makes the retro appeal not-very-effective on me, so I tend to look past most of these shots of retro appeal.

And come on, if you guys have a BUBBLE shield working, why'd ya hide that? why not record some footage of it or something? Is it not that functional/super buggy or something? Hell, it may not be some insight on the level designs or anything, but I find THAT impressive.

*According to what people said, even though it was just randomly raised sectors 80% of the time :P

Last edited:
The textures look pretty, but the level design just doesn't.
I don't see how expressing my opinion of this is being arrogant.

I believe what's concerning BlueZero4 is how both of you post based on how much you like something, not necessarily how it could be improved, and that what he's getting at is you're not being of any help to the community or of projects by doing that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I digress, however.

And come on, if you guys have a BUBBLE shield working, why'd ya hide that? why not record some footage of it or something? Is it not that functional/super buggy or something? Hell, it may not be some insight on the level designs or anything, but I find THAT impressive.

To be honest, I thought Kaysakado would have mentioned it himself, since he was in charge of the exe coding. (If I wasn't supposed to leak out the info, sorry Kays!)

There's actually nothing wrong with the bubble; in fact, it works pretty damn well. I think it's probably just the fact that we weren't sure if the shields were perfectly balanced yet, or that we don't have any graphics for the shields. Either that, or it lost our attention and we forgot about it.

But y'know, it's a thought. The shield sprites from S3&K are probably the same as SRB2's, so maybe I could just slap them in and then record some footage of me going through vanilla SRB2 levels with Sonic's shield abilities. After all, who knows when a playable beta will come out? Might as well post a video of cool stuff to tide the crowd over.

Last edited:
Blue Warrior just hit the nail in every place.
But remember, this thing isn't anywhere close to even 2% done, from what I recall. So don't let hype get to you in a positive or negative way, because so far, there is no real material to comment on other than looks.
"Then why do you show screenshots!?!?!?!"
Well, we've only got that stuff to show. But it's better than nothing, I guess. At least by doing that, we can show that despite there being a slow progress, there is progress. Somewhere.
And come on, if you guys have a BUBBLE shield working, why'd ya hide that?
We were hiding that? (Don't you want any surprises when you play the game D: )
I'm pretty sure we already talked about the shields in the game being fully functional.
And if we didn't do that, I honestly didn't think it'd warrant a video of it. Maybe some screenshots.
**** the bubble shield, the electric shield is much cooler. I went through srb2 with it and it was incredibly fun, although terribly easy (I know why, don't tell me).

D00D64 said:
Didn't Sphere make those Mushroom Hill textures a while back?

Yes, I did. Unfortunately, they suck, and I'm not a part of the SRB2&K team.

:SonicMaster: said:
I would love to see Hidden Palace Zone be a fleshed-out level in this mod rather than just a boing-boing-boing-boing-here's-the-boss level.

YES
Really, I hope so too.

And I'd love to see some bubble shield footage, no matter if it is bugged or not 100% perfect.

I have forgot the old times.
Shadow is waiting to kick ass in mushroom hill.
New badnicks, and the mech sonic is back!

By default, Sonic has his split-second shield thing when pressing A in midair. The fire shield will return his thok, and to my understanding, the fire trail has been dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back