The 5th Generation of Pokemon confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't really sound like a good idea. Just like erm lets just say, a Kraken and a Chomposaur; it looks pretty good but it just doesn't work all that well. (:P)

Last edited:
Okay, I admit some of the designs of the newer generations are decent and good looking. I just think the lot of them look really strange and weird looking.
The thing is, there were some really strange and nonsensical Pokemon in the original 151, as well. What the hell are Clefairy, Lickitung, and Tangela supposed to be? Obviously as they start using up more and more ideas, some of the newer guys need to be more patently ridiculous to make them unique, which they didn't need to do in the first generation, but a lot of the original guys were pretty strange too.

I really must admit, as someone who abandoned the series before generation 2, I probably will take far more interest in playing the game when there truly are too many pokemon for me to keep track of... When I played the game, most of it revolved around catching them all. Now it looks like its more about catching the ones you want...

Basically, Pokemon probably functions best with the system of a trading card game. You can't possibly collect them all (though you might still try), but getting the right ones for your strategy is a task that may be every bit as challenging as getting all 151 pokemon in the originals.

If I have both money and time, I might consider coming back... some friends that play pokemon might be nice. Playing Pokemon RBY in grade school was a social thing, and I miss it. While playing with you folks over the internet would be fun of course, the pokemon series would really take life for me if I could once again come into school to trade favorite pokemon, strategies, and battle.

JEV3 said:
While playing with you folks over the internet would be fun of course, the pokemon series would really take life for me if I could once again come into school to trade favorite pokemon, strategies, and battle.

The hardest part is getting through the entire game just to have the freedom of doing what you want afterwards. Considering how much they now put in today's generation, I'm not sure if Gen. 5 may be the best game for a warm up, unless however your also curious of the new moves, pokemon, and items.

Oh you just have to get the game when the next generation comes out so you're pretty much at the same level with the general audience. Even if you don't recognize all the nuances right away, you won't find yourself in a situation where all your friends have their perfect team and you're just getting started.

I always have supported getting more Pokemon. Back when we only had 151, Mewtwo basically ripped everything to shreds as long as you had Amnesia and Psychic on it. Nothing could stop it since there were no good bug Pokemon, Mewtwo could crush Gengar, and dark Pokemon didn't exist. However, G/S/C changed that, by throwing in Dark Pokemon, and arguably the best bug Pokemon, Heracross, although it's horribly slow and a fighting type. Adding new Pokemon allows the games to become patched up. It keeps any one certain Pokemon from becoming the only thing that can do anything.

I'm just hoping we finally see some useful competitive Grass types.
Also, I'm hoping they finally fix the Grass type so that it doesn't have so many ridiculous weaknesses. Ice immediately comes to mind.

I'm also wondering what mechanics will change this time around. I've loved the changes each generation has so far applied, and I'm really hoping we see something interesting thrown in here, too.

Rob, Celebi and Breloom are both used in competitive play. Grass type has a lot of weaknesses, but it has a resistance to electric, which is quite a rare thing to resist, as well as generally being a good switch against bulky waters without Ice Beam.

You know... we got 492 (Is there more?) kinds right now in the 4th gen, now... what number are we going to look at in the 5th gen?

I wonder what names for the games will be, so I am making a very early guess, Dark? Light? Twilight? etc.

Heh, I used to nerd around about Pokemon quite a lot some years ago. As in competitive play and all. Mostly battle simulators, they are the saner way of life - I did breed a competitive Pokemon successfully and it cost me months.
Although towards the end I went for the "NOBODY expects the Life Orb'd Explosion/Quake/Zen Headbutt/something adamant max attack Bronzong!" route. It works fine, as long as you surprise people. And that happens quite often. (I admit to having an Explosion fetish...)

Pokemon has shaped my childhood like nothing else. That will remain this way, probably forever. Therefore, I'll always keep in touch.

Also to Rob - Grass Type really has its fill of useful resistances. Electric, Ground too, Water. Three common types. Most of them aren't at the top but can as well be with a little bit of creativity.

Huh... and I thought the 5th generation of Pokemon was going to be rehashes of Gold/Silver. Anyways, as long as Nintendo keeps adding pokemon to hook the next line of kids there will be cases of TRUKK NOT MUNKY(or "munky not trukk" as the case may be). I for one think that Pokemon would be viable as a "Universe" where you can have actual stories instead of just glorified commercials.

My worthless two cents on the matter

You know... we got 493 kinds right now in the 4th gen, now... what number are we going to look at in the 5th gen?

Since we have nearly 500 pokemon now, we'll expect about 600+ pokemon in total for the 5th gen, seeing as we've had at least 100 more each generation so far.

Meh, missed one, and I was thinking that 600+ was the number for the 5th gen to stop at for now, until the 6th gen comes. (That is... if they make a 6th gen.)

Who knows, really, maybe they could give us a hint or two.

New Pokemon are always awesome, but I would like to see if they will give evolutions to some of the weakest Pokemon in the game and make them actually decent. Corsola, Qwilfish, and Farfetch'd come to mind.

Also, I think it would be interesting to see attacks that have more than one type. (and I get the feeling that may be what they are doing for 5th Gen.) That idea alone would completely revolutionize the whole game and open up all sorts of possibilities and strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back