Hay guys, read this! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
FuriousFox said:
Actually, I would say that you shouldn't release any of your creations until you are ready to accept criticism. I see alot of people that say "don't be so harsh its my first level", but without being a little harsh, you can't really get some good points across. All creations should at least follow the basic rules (Maps should have thok-barriers, SOCs should be more than simple timer-mods, etc.). If you can't at least do these things, then you aren't ready to release your creations to the public. People are going to be harsh in their criticism because it is required to let the wadder know what they are doing wrong. If no one tells the wadder what they are doing wrong, they will never improve. However, the wadder must also be willing to accept some of this criticism, instead of just ignoring it. Ingoring criticism is the same as not receiving any; you can't get better unless you use it.

So, back to the main point, don't release wads until you've got a good understanding of the basics and are ready to accept and use criticism to improve your future wads.

I agree. When I released my first level, I was ready for a bad review. But those tips had told me something. "Do Better!". So now I'm trying to fix all my bugs.

I have a question thingy. What if, by some miracle, your first map is actually pretty good.

Shu said:
What if, by some miracle, your first map is actually pretty good.
Not possible. Seriously. Now, you could fix it later, after a few weeks of goofing off with the editor and learning how to use it, but everyone's "first map ever" is almost universally bad.

Heh, you're gonna be suprised, in that case.

Anyways, if the rules would be "Don't post your first map", there would never come any new map makers. They can't post their first map, so a second or third will never come either.

I don't mean "Don't post your first map."

I think a better point is "Don't start releasing stuff until you've made more than one map."

Don't make a thing, and then release it, and say "Isn't this awesome?". Make several things, get the hang of it, and refine your work a tad before you start releasing stuff on the forums. Expect criticism of your first map, and work to make your stuff better.

It's not "Your first map is always bad" as much as "You need experience in creating stuff before you start releasing stuff".

My first map wasn't necessarily BAD, it was just very mediocre. So not everyone's map is very, terribly bad.

Actually, I think there's two catagories of Maps: Practice and Maps.

Practice is simply learning the thing. Glitches, tiny rooms, and no real effort are expected in this catagory. Normally, these maps are never relesed and stay in the creators hard drive untill rightly disposed of. I would not call these maps.

Maps are just that: Maps. Real levels that actually have an exit (for single player maps), decent item placement, and some sense of actually being playable. These maps would show farmiliarity with the hardware in making the maps, and suffer little to no glitches.

On the other hand, "practice" is all relative. Mystic may consider himself to have a larger period of "practice" compared to what early mappers would consider as "practice." Still, the categories are there nontheless.

The most made mistakes are the fact that rings aren't deafed or that there's no thok barrier. Sometimes people forget only rings should be deafed, and make the other items deafed too.

Super mystic sonic said:
The most made mistakes are the fact that rings aren't deafed or that there's no thok barrier. Sometimes people forget only rings should be deafed, and make the other items deafed too.

Or they make other items deafed by accident.

I'm currently working on my first Level Wad and I've taken advice i've seen in everyone else's topics, watched the criticism, and I think my Halo 2 Level pack could be pretty good, the only thing I need help with the textures.

Super mystic sonic said:

I remember...in my first (practice) wad, I couldn't figure out why the jettsyn bombers weren't flying...I had the deaf flag set. Took me forever to figure it out :lol:

I didn't even post one wad until this year. But I made them. Some might be good, but I'm not taking any risks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back