Version 2.1 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I love that DCZ/GEZ mixup, and I do not want to see that concept go to waste...
For the record, I'm pretty sure we're not planning on merging the two stages. Unless I missed something in the private IRC channel within the past two weeks or so for which I've not been in it.

Man! I sure really like to see both Dark City Zone and Grand Eggship Zone in Version 2.2 because they'll both be great to play on and if these future zones gets made, I would really like to see the Metal Sonic Battle get moved to Grand Eggship Zone so Egg Rock Zone can have a more better boss fight that would fit well for a final boss and the egg capsule shall no longer be in Egg Rock Zone. However, when Metal Sonic gets moved to Grand Eggship Zone, the music that was used for Egg Rock Zone Act 3 of Version 2.0 will go back being the main soundtrack for Egg Rock Zone Act 3 in order to have a theme fit well for the final boss and the music that is currently being used for the Metal Sonic Race in Egg Rock Zone Act 3 right now will then go back being the Metal Sonic Battle Theme so it can go into Grand Eggship Zone Act 3. However, if the boss fights for Arid Canyon Zone and Red Volcano Zone gets made, what I'd like to see for these boss fights is that the Arid Canyon Zone's Boss can be the ACME Egg (whiches going to be a combination of the Egg Mobile and the ACME Rocket mashed up together), the player in ACZ3 can get the egg capsule after racing against Dr. Eggman and defeating him in the boss fight. As for Red Volcano Zone's Boss Fight, I'd really like to see RVZ's Boss be inspired by the boss fight of Hill Top Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Lava Reef Zone Act 2 from Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Red Volcano Zone's Boss can be the Molten Egg.

Last edited:
I came here to see what was added in 2.1 since I never played any other version and found out you added ring physics.

You added one of the worst things to ever come out of Modern Sonic. As if Red Volcano and Egg Rock weren't hard enough, now taking hits means I'm less likely to get rings back. Wasn't this game aiming to be the classics brought into 3D properly (which it is, by the way)?

I just have a personal hatred towards ring physics. They make actually difficult Sonic games harder for all the wrong reasons. Other than that, this update is perfect.

Last edited:
I came here to see what was added in 2.1 since I never played any other version and found out you added ring physics.

You added one of the worst things to ever come out of Modern Sonic. As if Red Volcano and Egg Rock weren't hard enough, now taking hits means I'm less likely to get rings back. Wasn't this game aiming to be the classics brought into 3D properly (which it is, by the way)?

I just have a personal hatred towards ring physics. They make actually difficult Sonic games harder for all the wrong reasons. Other than that, this update is perfect.
Turn on your Sega Genesis right now and start getting hit repeatedly by a motobug. No need to rush for my sake, I can wait.

Then get hit next to a wall.

Then put in Sonic 3 and get hit by big arms a few times.

Then put in Sonic 3D Blast and get hit next to some lava.

Last edited:
I'm not going to actually go that far, mainly because it'd take me quite a while to do all of that and I lack 3D Blast, but I assume you're referring to the rings going into walls or something of the sort. They can bounce back, it's just I hate them going further away from me in zones designed to drain rings (like Red Volcano with its rising lava).

I'm not going to actually go that far, mainly because it'd take me quite a while to do all of that and I lack 3D Blast, but I assume you're referring to the rings going into walls or something of the sort. They can bounce back, it's just I hate them going further away from me in zones designed to drain rings (like Red Volcano with its rising lava).

He's saying that the "ring physics" have been around since the beginning of the Sonic the Hedgehog series and present in almost every Sonic game. It's just been absent in SRB2 until now.

Not only do they fly through walls and floors, they also fly farther as you get hit repetitively. This is behavior straight from the classics, and without it in previous SRB2 versions, it was trivial to get good enough at recollecting your rings that you could literally never die.

I'm really glad the ring physics were added for that exact reason. SRB2's combat difficulty was a joke without some sort of risk of being without rings.

I know why it was added, but they fly so far out to the point of being exactly like Game Gear Sonic 1. You get hit, you never get it back.

Besides, in all that time I spent playing 3&K, I never noticed rings spreading out further. I do remember getting hit a lot, but the rings never went so far away to the point of always being lost. Maybe I just had too many rings.

I also find the difficulty of combat hard to believe. I never actually died unless there were no rings at that particular point in this stage or I happened to be knocked into a bottomless pit... The only combat troubles I had were the boss fights, logically... well, actually I had trouble with the Bird Aircraft Strike Hazards... often. And then there was that castle guard near a bottomless pit in Castle Eggman 2... Except those were more placement than anything.

Don't hog all the rings around you in one sitting, then? It's a habit I've made since playing Sonic Rush, and now I'm doing it in SRB2 too.

Besides, getting hit once pretty much destroys whatever score you were going for, so it's enough to have even one ring collected from what got scattered around, for survival's sake.

They also don't fly that far out unless you're getting hit constantly.

The solution here is to practice at not getting hit.

I'm not sure, but I have the feeling the physics Pixel is referring to is the incremental distance the rings fly depending on how many times you get hit, since ring physics were almost always in SRB2 and the incremental distance thing was only added recently. You don't even play Sonic if you didn't know rings have physics to them if they get dropped.

The only Sonic game that also features incremental distance flinging is the Sonic Rush series, so I'm probably way off.
I failed and missed the next page again. Hate it when I do that. At least I can shove my opinion here instead.

If rings flew a bit farther than normal and could clip through walls, that would be more satisfactory for myself in terms of keeping to the classic Sonic games. On a gameplay scale, what we have right now works well since it praises careful gameplay compared to reckless gameplay.

Last edited:
Man, I had no idea that 2.1 actually got released already. March? This thing just passed me by completely.

I jumped in with a solo Sonic playthrough and was really impressed by all the changes and additions. Was not expecting this update to be so comprehensive, and I certainly wasn't expecting Knuckles' sprites to get overhauled again. They look great.

Most of the changes seemed like pretty clear improvements, although I did notice that several moderately tricky sections got nerfed pretty badly. Not sure how I feel about that. On the flipside, these observations ended up being punctuated by a laser-spitting bot right in the middle of ERZ2's vanishing platform segment. Whoever put that there must've been laughing it up.

Glad to see that a lot of work is still being put into this.

Yeah, I'm still enjoying the Nights stages a lot myself. Some of the new additions to the single player maps troll pretty hard, but overall it's a huge improvement, now that I've gotten to play it all.

Even better that they added a couple of Mystic's toughest levels ever made for the game as hidden bonuses.

I adore Techno Hill Zone now. The slime and all new layouts there are the best things they've added in 2.1, along with the Nights stages, in my opinion.

You were close. Sonic Team Jr. worked on this game since April 1998.

It's hard to believe that, when you think about it, Sonic Team Jr. was founded solely for Sonic Robo Blast 2.

It makes one wonder what the developers are gonna do afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back