Netgames

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdog003

I know, Mystic. I read your FAQ. But, I still can't connect to a netgame. Wen I went into mIRC #srb2netgame, and typed in !help, nothing came up. I tried to play one with a friend (I was host), but when he typed my ip, he says that "Nothing happened." What's going on? How do I fix this? Yes, we both have the same versons of SRB2. No, I didn't choose "Advertise Game On Internet"because I've heard of the non-existant "master server" being related to this.. If i checked it, would it help? I've shutdown my firewall, but that didn't work. No, I don't use AOL. I really want to play!

There are a few basic things to check:

#1: Was that really your IP address? If it started with 192.168, that's a local host address and not a real internet IP address.

#2: Is your firewall allowing ports 5029 and 5030 through? Otherwise, you can't host.

#3: If you have a router, does it forward ports 5029 and 5030 to the computer that's hosting?

If you've checked all of those and it STILL doesn't work, I'd suggest not hosting and letting someone else host. I've never hosted a non-LAN game of SRB2 because I simply can't. My ISP doesn't allow outgoing traffic through, stupidly, so I can't do anything about it.

Those ports 5029 to 5030 should be UDP, by the way. Some routers only allow you to forward TCP, and not UDP. If you have such a router, you're screwed. You can blame Network Address Translation.

I tried to let him host, but he has AOL and his IP is something like
%2F AOL %2F SEARCH %2F JSP
And, since SRB2 doesn't allow % signs, i'm dead in the water. As for firewalls, Zone Alarm. How do I find out if it will let the ports through? As I said before, I shut it off before we played and didn't turn it back on until after the "game". As for routers, I do not have any.

AOL does not change IP format. You're not looking at the correct thing. The absolute best way to find someone's IP address is to /dns them on IRC, by typing "/dns nickname". Then their IP address will appear on your status window. Normal IP addresses have 4 numbers, seperated by periods, and the numbers range from 0-255.

As I said before, there is the possibility that your ISP, Adelphia, blocks traffic that would let you host a game. I know Verizon does, otherwise I'd be able to host.

Well there is absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to host, so the ISP is the only thing left I can blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back