What's wrong with recolors and overpowered chars?

• Thread starter Hyper Shadonic thing
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hyper Shadonic thing

Really, I don't see what's wrong with recolors and overpowered chars, or even overpowered recolors! I mean just look at SMS, he doesn't look anything like OVERPOWERED.

Just found out what everyone is doing! :p

Hmm... maybe I should put something here, I know! My avatar can move!

Mmuhahahahahaha!*shot* Get your own animated Sonic icons here!http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan Sonic/Dan Sonic Hedgehog Gallery.htm

Recolours have no work put into them and overpowered characters are just to boring to play with because it's too easy. Oh yeah... SMS wasn't that overpowered because of the modified enemies. But he does look overpowered... I mean a glowing hedgehog that looks like Super Sonic...

EDIT: Ignore my sig... -_-

Let me put it this way: if recolors and overpowered characters were encouraged on the Character release forums, where would the original and well-balanced characters be? In that same forum. It doesn't seem right for there to be thirteen cheaply recolored hedgehogs and five joke wads on Page 1 of the forum while the decent characters (such as Espio) are drowned out quickly onto pages 2 and 3. Espio and Vector actually took WORK to make; they play well and look a LOT more professional than something such as Super Mystic Sonic and Thunder the Fox, so why should seven simple MS Paint makeovers combined get more attention than one original character that actually had honest effort put into it?

And just look at Super Mystic Sonic and Thunder the Fox compared to Sonic and Tails. A lot of the graphics just look hideous, and I'll bet no sprite took anymore than three minutes. You know how long in took for SSNTails to create 160 handdrawn sprites for Sonic the Hedgehog? I don't, but it definitely took more than a couple hours.

Recolors have a tendancy to be lazy, and uncreative. Disallowing recolors is a way of easily ruling out a large portion of bad fancharacters.

Overpoweredness is also a common sign of uncreativity. The least creative characters have a tendancy to be the most powerfull. However, such is not ALWAYS the case, hence why overpowered characters are just frowned upon, and not flatout disallowed.

Well if you ask what's wrong with overpowered, I'd say everything about them, there just too boring to use. But if you like overpowered, more power to you, just don't release overpowered, or recolored wads on the forum, then you can make as many as you want.

You know what would be cool, if I remade all of the recolors and overpowered characters, so they aren't thierselves anymore!

One thing I forgot to mention is that, since recolors can be so easily created and therefore produced in greater quantities, it becomes a real hassle when people add them in netgames. Since there are a ton of recolors, and each recolor has practically the same stats and abilities, it eliminates the use for almost all of them; unfortunately, people are bound to use them in netgames, and since you don't have them and don't care to get them, there is no chance to join that netgame without maxsend on, which, as we all (should) know, lags due to SRB2's poor netplay coding.

Also, thanks to everyone who bothered to write more than one sentence in their posts explaining what's wrong with overpowered recolors. We really need to make a FAQ or documentation that explains all the netique that needs to be used in servers.

Recolors lack-

Originality
Effort
Coolness

Recolors are-
Repetitive
Stupid
Useless
Looked down upon

However, I do not have anything against them personally. The above is the majority *coughminoritycough* forum view. Recolors can be kept private. And they should be, until you get better at making your own characters.

Recolors are annoying, and pointless, but have you guys ever thought about them being FUN, instead of hating them because they are most always looking stupid?

Well... not really. If I wanted Sonic to be a different color, I'd have more easily done the color console command than create a wad for him.

I'll note that while recolors do often annoy me, I'm not an anti-recolor person. It's just that, generally, they don't add anything to the game. I played the Krazy Buzz wad, and it was enjoyable for a couple games due to its multi-air-jump ability. But those kind of wads are one-time appeals. So, while they can be good for something every once in a while, you're still better off making something original.

Theres really nothing wrong with recolors, as long as they have a well balanced custom ablity, like my in progress dark tails wad. Just remixed tails sprits, but with a some what missle like ablity.

The entire point of making a character wad is to provide something unique and fun to play as alternatively. If making overpowered recolors adds something unique and enjoyable to the game for you, go for it. However, I can't say that overpowered recolors add something unique, so I don't encourage them. Heck, I'd bet that the rest of the community that sticks around the board doesn't enjoy them too much either.

Not that Espyo or Vector add anything to my playing experience, either. :/

Well I, for one, have a liking of these recolors and overpowers. I don't really care for originality or some other attributes. I play them for fun and I believe characters shouldn't be judged on how they look or how strong they are. If you first see a recolor or an overpower, at least try them out so you can infer if they are bad or not. I'm sorry, but that's just me.

Arrol said:
Well I, for one, have a liking of these recolors and overpowers. I don't really care for originality or some other attributes. I play them for fun and I believe characters shouldn't be judged on how they look or how strong they are. If you first see a recolor or an overpower, at least try them out so you can infer if they are bad or not. I'm sorry, but that's just me.
So, you are implying that a sonic character with maxed-out stats, is always invincible, and is just colored differently then Sonic is "good"? Hate to break it to you,but characters like this: http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=11384 that have nothing original in them, are not "good". Sorry, no. What do you mean just a copied, different colored character, which you can just as easily access by changing colors, are good? They aren't. Editing OTHER PEOPLE'S sprites in the first place is just wrong. Those characters can only be "good" if there is an interesting soc attached, and even they lose their luster after a while. And,character wads attribute nearly nothing to gameplay in the first place. Plus, the whole POINT of a character wad is to look different. And, we can already "try" them by simply changing our color. Other than the overpowered part, which ruins the fun of the game.Those are the ONLY attributes of the recolor overpower, unless they have a new, socced ability. Both are obsolete.

Overpowered characters and recolors fail in many ways.

Recolors are just unacceptable for anyone here.

Heck, I remember making one that really sucked.

Arrol said:

Again, I'll note that not all recolors are bad. Senya (though I guess it's more of an edit than a recolor) can lead to some enjoyable experimenting around with ice cube abuse. Like I said before, though, abuse gets really old quickly, so Senya's pretty much only useable once or twice.

A good character wad needs something that makes them different from the default selection. Espio can hover while most others can't, but Vector is basically a faster Knux and nothing more. Overpowered characters are nice if you dislike the difficulty of the game, and I can understand that; but I don't understand why anyone would want to have to deal with the hideous graphic replacements of SMS. Meanwhile, most other recolored characters are just that, except to a lesser extent. For this reason, I have a disliking for most recolors. Even a character with good artwork is useless if it doesn't have anything different than Sonic, Tails, and/or Knuckles.

Recolors can be kept private. And they should be, until you get better at making your own characters.

Sykotic, You are absolutly right.

Just found out what everyone is doing! :p

Hmm... maybe I should put something here, I know! My avatar can move!

Mmuhahahahahaha!*shot* Get your own animated Sonic icons here!http://tinyurl.com/2yd4ol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back