My thoughts on the v1.09 patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGally

Rather than give a large essay on the subject, I'll try to keep my points brief.

* I'm glad there are subtle changes to the existing levels, and additions like the "bounce shield", where you hit the attack button to bounce in mid-air. It adds a little something extra to the play mechanics when you have it.

* I noticed the bonus levels were revamped. I'm very glad you removed the spikes - they were small, hard to see, and made you move more slowly, going against what I like about Sonic. Good thing the spikes are gone. The new bonus levels are somewhat nasty though, really challenging with the large pool and the sky at the bottom, in that last one!

* Thanks for adding more support for controllers. Now that strafing can be mapped to any stick, and turning and moving can be mapped as well, it's possible to make non-analog mode control like a console FPS. This should help a lot with complaints that the play control is bad, or is bad when playing online. The default controls are not that good, as usual, but many people map their controls in PC games anyway.

* I noticed a subtle change to the music in Castle Eggman Zone 2. I'm not saying it's either good or bad, just that I noticed it.

* The game remembers if you set analog control or not. I wanted this feature for a long time; thanks for putting it in there.

* Thanks for adding 1024x768 support! This is the native resolution for many people - this and 800x600. I'm glad to see it supported.

* You cut short Sonic's speech at the end, where he would have said "irc.mysteria.net". Was that because the original voice actor isn't part of the team anymore?

Anyway, even though v1.09 is largely a "fix" patch rather than one that adds new main content (with the exception of the new bonus stages and the "bounce" shielf), I'm very satisfied with the job done here. Thanks guys!

Oh yeah, I had only discovered the new version today.

Surprisingly well first post there! And, I have a question:

What do you mean added 1024x768 suppport? That has been in there since 1.08 opengl if I can remember...

That's not a first post, he has 58 posts..

It cuts off because it originally said irc.mysteria.net, but #srb2, #srb2fun, and #srb2general no longer reside there, we're on espernet.

I know it cuts off because we moved from Mysteria.Net to Esper.Net. I even said that myself.

See:
* You cut short Sonic's speech at the end, where he would have said "irc.mysteria.net". Was that because the original voice actor isn't part of the team anymore?

I'm wondering if Sonic's voice actor is no longer part of the team, and that's why they didn't have him read his new line.

No, it's just because it's a pain to re-animate the mouth if the part was respoken. You won't believe what I had to go through just to make that screen...

Wow, animating sprites in the Doom engine is complicated? I can imagine, since they didn't plan for Doom to have cutscenes, and Sonic Robo Blast 2 has both its intro and outro.

Thanks for the explanation.

No, it's not really that animating them is hard anymore, it's that making the mouth move the same way the words are spoken is hard. Unless you want something like a crappy text-based RPG that has the characters all move their mouth up and down repeatedly while the letters are coming out, which is dumb.

Jason the Echidna said:
No, it's not really that animating them is hard anymore, it's that making the mouth move the same way the words are spoken is hard

Get Koreian animators. They're the shizzy.

Who pays attention to the mouth movements? When the movements fits with the silence times, it's always right. :P

Sik said:
Who pays attention to the mouth movements?

I did, and I was impressed SSNTails had the time and patience to do it. I didn't expect him to want to again, though.

I was meaning that he can use the sprites which he already had used in the previous frames. Or what? He used a different sprite for each single sound in the speech?

No, the problem is syncing up the mouth to the words. If you look at f_finale.c in the source code, there is a HUGE array of numbers that tell at what time and duration a particular mouth picture should be displayed. I compiled that list from first making an AVI of the mouth moving to the words (ala PokSoc/APL), and then went through frame-by-frame and counted the number of frames each mouth picture durated(?) and put it into a big list.

Jake said:
Sik said:
Who pays attention to the mouth movements?

I did, and I was impressed SSNTails had the time and patience to do it. I didn't expect him to want to again, though.

I've heard the words "Impress" and "SSNTails" in the same sentence too many times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back