Spin while moving, but don't spin charge. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairebun

Community Noise Maker
Sonic Team Junior
The title kinda speaks for itself. I want to create a character that can spin if he's moving on the ground, but can't charge up a spindash. Is there a variable or value that separates the two? Will it require soccing? Or is it just impossible in v1.09.4?

I don't want to allow spin-charge with a maximum speed of 0. Just thought I'd mention that so I don't get answers with the words "melee attack" in them.

You might want to have nospin = 0 and maxdash/mindash = 0.
You would be able to spin and seem like you're charging up a spindash while still, but you wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

Can't think of a way without SOCcing, but if you made the player's spinitem a spring with both a height and radius of 1, and an incredibly low strength, you might be able to get the effect you want. The player would still do a tiny "hop" if he tried to spin while standing perfectly still, but it'd be better than letting him "slide" in place. (I'm just gonna go ahead and guess you're going for a sort of "slide" effect. Seems logical to me anyway)

Draykon said:
Can't think of a way without SOCcing, but if you made the player's spinitem a spring with both a height and radius of 1, and an incredibly low strength, you might be able to get the effect you want.The player would still do a tiny "hop" if he tried to spin while standing perfectly still, but it'd be better than letting him "slide" in place. (I'm just gonna go ahead and guess you're going for a sort of "slide" effect. Seems logical to me anyway)

Well, regarding the sliding thing... that wasn't what I had in mind; the character will probably have "roll up into a ball" sprites rather than sliding ones, unless I decide to change my mind in the near future (which I very well could, sliding isn't a bad idea). The reason why I want to maintain rolling but not spindashing is that the character is going to play a bit differently from other characters, and I want to make sure the advantages and disadvantages cancel each other out as much as possible, thus the removal of spindash. I realize some level design elements may require spinning, though, so I want to keep that in.

As for your spring idea, that should work just fine. Actually, maybe I'll intentionally increase the strength of the spring just to make that a special ability of its own... I guess we'll see. :P

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
You might want to have nospin = 0 and maxdash/mindash = 0.
You would be able to spin and seem like you're charging up a spindash while still, but you wouldn't be able to go anywhere.
Blue Warrior said:
I don't want to allow spin-charge with a maximum speed of 0.

Did you not read this, Flame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back