SRB2 2.1.14 doesn't like Linux anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitCoder

Launcher Blaster
I could run SRB2 in WINE before with no issue, now I have a problem where sound plays extremely slowly and keeps piling up on top of itself, it's painful. There's no binaries available for a native Linux build yet, so I'm kinda stuck... I don't want to have to boot into Windows every time I boot up my laptop just to play SRB2 - not to mention I'd then have to reboot every time I wanted to play SRB2.

EDIT: I did a video to demonstrate the problem: http://youtu.be/ePjE1fO-Bs4

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it'll work, but try using the srb2dd executable instead of srb2win.

I already have, I've used SRB2WIN and SRB2DD
I have the same issue. I'm pretty sure SDL2 is relevant to video/graphics as oppose to sound.

SRB2WIN has loads of graphical issues in Linux anyways, so SRB2DD is prefferable.

I'm looking for a Linux expert mainly, but I think that the only game with broken audio is SRB2.

Last edited:
No, SDL2 is also related to sound. SDL2's purpose is to make code run on multiple platforms by conforming to particular standards that an SDL2 library made for the target platform can handle. That basically means it does some work handling anything that involves interfacing with the hardware and operating system.

No, SDL2 is also related to sound. SDL2's purpose is to make code run on multiple platforms by conforming to particular standards that an SDL2 library made for the target platform can handle. That basically means it does some work handling anything that involves interfacing with the hardware and operating system.

Oh, okay then. Thank you for correcting me on that Prime.

On topic again, is there any way to fix this issue?

I could run SRB2 in WINE before with no issue, now I have a problem where sound plays extremely slowly and keeps piling up on top of itself, it's painful. There's no binaries available for a native Linux build yet, so I'm kinda stuck... I don't want to have to boot into Windows every time I boot up my laptop just to play SRB2 - not to mention I'd then have to reboot every time I wanted to play SRB2.

EDIT: I did a video to demonstrate the problem: http://youtu.be/ePjE1fO-Bs4

Why WINE? SRB2 will build on Linux without any trouble. It should be as easy as quickly installing prerequisite libraries and running `make'.

Thank you, but I found out that it's actually the OS having some corrupt audio packages or something, probably when I messed around with packages. Thanks for the help, and I will consider compiling a native Linux build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back