Windows Vista...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
The wonderful old computer that I loved like a brother (well, no, not that much, but close) died recently. Fortunately, I have most of my files backed up...including everything related to SRB2. So, I'm all set with that, and in the meantime, I've got a temporary replacement computer that does in a pinch. But sooner or later, I'll need a new computer, and there aren't many new computers out there that come with XP...which means I could be looking at switching to Vista.

Now, I've heard that several things are harder to do if you've got Vista. I was just wondering if I could get some detailed information on what differences I'll see in SRB2, Wadding, etc. if I switch to Vista.

Doom Builder breaks. Certain versions of Vista don't support OGL. Security pop-ups every other click.

DONT GET VISTA. If you can't find XP, just torrent it.

OMG VISTA??

uh.....I would get XP dude (no emote entended)

Vista was ok...if this was 2000? or 1999 I think?

DON'T GET VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!
Sarcasm aside, Vista Home Basic's horrid responsiveness has been the same on my PC since day one. The rotten performance in games, incompatibility with some of my favorite programs, and the excessive loading times of light-weight apps crawled under my skin so bad, that I went through the effort of dual-booting it with XP.
I'm loving how much faster XP is, Sonic Heroes loads instantly(instead of five minutes, wtf? O_o) and the FPS doesn't suck, yay. :D

Although if you plan on going all out and buying a fast, high-end machine, Vista won't be a terrible experience for you like it was for me, and it obviously looks great too. :) Everything SRB2-related works just fine on Vista, even all the utilities you can use to edit it too. Doom Builder works just fine on my Vista install, so I don't know why Kaysakado's having problems.

Dr.Pepper said:
DON'T GET VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!
Sarcasm aside, Vista Home Basic's horrid responsiveness has been the same on my PC since day one.
You get screwed over if you get home basic, premium actually runs faster but my 128 MB 3d chipset has trouble running portal, on basic it ran faster 3d/video card wise.

I would stop using Windows altogether and go for a general-purpose Linux distribution like Fedora and Ubuntu. Linux has good open-source alternatives to most propietary Windows programs (and most are probably compatible with their Windows counterparts), doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, and Fedora and Ubuntu are really easy to use if you take the time to learn a new operating system.

And there is of course a Linux version of SRB2, so I wouldn't worry about that. When my new PC upgrades arrive, I'm ditching Windows altogether, maybe you should do the same =P

If there is a conveniently compiled Linux binary of SRB2, I sure can't find it, all the links are broken, and although WINE does play the Windows version at full speed, it skips at least half the normal FPS. XWE works through WINE too, but with SRB2DB or SlumpED, you can forget it. Yadex seems like the only to build SRB2 maps on Linux, but the main site only provides the source code, assuming you know how to compile it. The SRB2 editing/playing experience just isn't as convenient to obtain on Linux as it Windows, don't make it sound so easy to switch.
Dumping Windows is usually difficult for someone new to a Unix-like OS, I'd suggest trying Wubi. (The FAQ explains everything) It takes time for almost anyone to readjust to the Linux environment, so it's convenient to have Windows while learning Unix commands(Although Ubuntu doesn't require it :D) and finding Linux equivalents or ports to favorite/required Windows programs. Even then, some users still have to dual-boot with XP for software that they just can't replace, like me. =P Otherwise, I'd dump Windows, use SRB2 and XWE through WINE, and stick to consoles for playing most games. The couch is so much comfier than a desk-chair anyway. xD

There is that many problems with vista all microsofts doing with it now is making it stable and gave up working on anything else on it, thats why there making windows 7.

Well even though I got vista I will have to agree with the other people in this topic. Get XP and to me, Vista ain't that bad. im using Vista Ultimate :D. But ya, Try to install XP on Vista and see what you got.

I already love XP. I didn't want Vista in the first place--I'm just saying that computers with XP preinstalled on them are very hard to find these days.

I now have a new question: If all I can find is Vista, I'm prepared to get a Windows XP operating system CD and install it myself.

What I need to know is: HOW?

You misunderstand me. I know that you need to buy a Windows XP CD, but how would you install an operating system?

I'm sure you can find that on the internet. If you have another computer set up, you can go on IRC and have someone talk you through it, I'm sure.

To install an OS, put the CD on your drive, format the computer, follow the given instructions, and use the crack/serial.
At least i did that to install my Win98SE

Installing XP is pretty straight forward, here's a great install tutorial here. Just follow the steps that apply to you, and wipe the Vista partition so you can put XP in it.
And once you've gotten past that point, make sure you have all the XP equivalents to your Vista hardware drivers for Video, Audio and Ethernet devices on a thumbdrive or CD-R ready for installing, because you won't have DirectX acceleration, sound, or internet until you install those drivers. I've been through a clean install of XP to learn that the hard way. xD
Don't forget to visit The How-To Geek while your at it, he has some tutorials on Dual-booting XP/Vista and other useful things about Windows you might want to know.

Also, if you want to buy XP, be prepared to spend almost 250-300$ on your legal copy. =P

Oh you people and your Anti-Vista hatred.

I have Vista.

I did not get a choice in switching.

I have learned to cope with it.

It's not as bad as people say it is. If you haven't used it for a good period of time, or at all for that matter, kindly shut the hell up.

Simsmagic said:
Oh you people and your Anti-Vista hatred.

I have Vista.

I did not get a choice in switching.

I have learned to cope with it.

It's not as bad as people say it is. If you haven't used it for a good period of time, or at all for that matter, kindly shut the hell up.

Quoted for truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back