Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX

Now 100% less jaded!
So, as most of us Pokéfans should know by this point, Nintendo and ChunSoft released a re-do of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness. But I bet a lot of you are thinking, "It's just the same game. What makes it so great?"

...Well no, it's not necessarily the same game, actually. Since Platinum was D/P remade with a tweaked storyline and more types of Pokémon, they decided to make a Mystery Dungeon that would match Platinum's new Pokémon.

They've also changed up the personality quiz a little - Different questions and more Pokémon to choose from, as well as to become from your results.

They have also added a little thing off to the side called Special Missions. These are missions obtained after completing certain requirements within the game. They involve someone else as the main character(s), not you and your party.

Discuss.

xxZeroxx said:
...Well no, it's not necessarily the same game, actually. Since Platinum was D/P remade with a tweaked storyline and more types of Pokémon, they decided to make a Mystery Dungeon that would match Platinum's new Pokémon.

Thats the problem with this mystery dungeon series, it usually has so much that adding more tends to overflow it with features that are not needed. The tweak at the personality quiz is acceptable, balancing the possible choices in your type. Special missions? Thats not needed, we already had the choice of switching between our type pokemon and the recruits and the other missions have it's own difficulty with the added difficulty of the dungeon.

Honestly I don't mind a different story and a few extra features, but it doesn't have anything worth persuading me to purchase it. Pokemon games are indeed ironic though :p

Thats the problem with this mystery dungeon series, it usually has so much that adding more tends to overflow it with features that are not needed. The tweak at the personality quiz is acceptable, balancing the possible choices in your type. Special missions? Thats not needed, we already had the choice of switching between our type pokemon and the recruits and the other missions have it's own difficulty with the added difficulty of the dungeon.

Honestly I don't mind a different story and a few extra features, but it doesn't have anything worth persuading me to purchase it. Pokemon games are indeed ironic though :p

I happened to leave something out. They added this little "Juice Bar" thing to the game, where you can use something for juice and recycle items to earn prizes.

I only drew two prize tickets. First won an Oran Berry, second won the jackpot - a Power Band. Huzzah power!

Well... like some said, it's the same, but just with some tweaks.

Some of the Special Missions can be Easy, or Hard, it depends.

-----

I really am glad that you can keep holding the Item that you give to your Team, instead of it being taken upon leaving the dungeon.

Shame that it doesn't free up a space up giving in your Treasure Bag... though.

-----

Weather damage have been slighty shorten, but... it still kinda slows down the gameplay, but not that much.

-----

The Juice Bar, is kinda like giving a gummi to someone while in a Friend Area in the 1st Game, upon doing this, they gain IQ, and also a Stat Boost. (There are other items that have different effects, such as Joy Seeds which can be used at the Juice Bar, instead of using them in Dungeons.)

However... sometime at randoms, better results can happen.

-----

Item storeage I think should of been the same as the 1st Mystery Dungeon Games, you store 1 kind of item, and you have 5 of that one kind of item that is stacked.

Example
(1st Game)
Item x 5
-----
(2nd Game)
Item
Item
Item
Item
Item

-----

Remeber in the 1st Mystery Dungeon games? Sometimes in a Dungeon, you can switch Leaders while in a Dungeon, but in the 2nd one, you can't, unless your outside the Dungeon.

I don't know if you can switch Leaders in Explorers of Sky, I'm not that far yet.

Lv. 35 at the moment, at Northern Desert.

I'll put more stuff here when I know a few more.

Last edited:
I heard this is worse then the pokemon tweaked games. *Emerald, Platnium, Crystal

Due to the fact the added stuff was very boring, no updated graphics, NO compatibility with the previous two games.

Right now, its in the not worth it pile if you have the other two version.

I heard this is worse then the pokemon tweaked games. *Emerald, Platnium, Crystal

Due to the fact the added stuff was very boring, no updated graphics, NO compatibility with the previous two games.

Right now, its in the not worth it pile if you have the other two version.

Erm... they are compatible if your trading items, sending over teams, etc. But not for the Wonder Mail.

I think because of the Wonder Mail S, they had to make it longer due to the New Dungeons in the game, I can be wrong, though...

Last edited:
I would prefer alot more a new Pokémon game with the old game style, not a remake of others (Soul Silver). As much as I already know Arceus will remain being the last Pokémon, they could just do another region and a random storyline with better graphics.

I was never interested on these Mystery Dungeon series.

Well... got done with the Main Story, and 5 of the Special Episodes. (Are there anymore, or is that all?)

Ok... I was somewhat overpowered for the Final Boss in this game (For the Main Story, not the Extra.), but that one attack still keeps hitting me for over 100+ damage, which is nearly all of my HP.

Here's what I think my stats were during the fight.

Pikachu
Lv. 50
HP : 130
ATK : 106
SP.A : 100
DEF : 87
SP.D : 81
IQ : ***

Thunderbolt+1
Focus Punch
Dig
Discharge (This kills monster houses, unless someone has Lighting Rod.)
-----
Chikorita
Lv. 48
HP : 153
ATK : 93
SP.A : 109
DEF : 85
SP.D : 80
IQ : ***

Bullet Seed
Giga Drain
Magical Leaf
SolarBeam
-----

I know that Chikorita's moves are all Grass Type, so meh. Also, why are my stats high? Well... let's say I found a few gummis, and pretty much went to the juice bar ALOT.

***(EDIT!)***
Got further in the game, somewhat... Don't really wanna spoil much but it's a hidden village that you can get to at some point in the game, (Not giving names.) also I hate Petal Dance... which kept hitting me for 35+ damage per hit. (Which can KO you in one attack, if more than 3 hits at full Health. Pikachu has 130 HP, and Petal Dance hits 2-5 times in a row.)

Last edited:
I've asked this before, but what makes this game different than other Pokemon games? The stuff you mentioned hardly changes the game.

Last edited:
Its totally different from other pokemon games... YOU are the pokemon. You go into dungeons and have to find stairs in them. Once you get to the top you win/fight a boss.

I thought you meant how is this different then the main series.
This isn't much of a remake, more like an expansion.

I've been through the game myself, currently at Blizzard Island and Hyper Rank. My Starter is Eevee, and partner is Vulpix. Most of the metagame if you played through PMD Time/Darkness is the same, it basically is an expansion pack with a bunch of new stuff thrown in.

The Special Episodes were a nice touch too, and integrates into the standard game, in that anything in Kangaskhan Storage can be used in the Special Episodes. Also, when you get to the end of a Special Episode, any money you find will go to Duskull Bank, and all items you find will go directly to Storage. Granted, most of the Special Episodes were pretty short on actual game content (Except Into Future of Darkness), it's a nice way to take a break from the actual game.

Also, I love the Recycle Shop. I can trade in useless items like Oran Berries, Apples, Plain Seeds (Used Reviver Seeds), etc. and turn them into Tickets. From there, I have a decent chance at scoring good prizes, primarily TMs. I've even been handed two HMs thanks to the Recycle Shop! (Surf, Fly)

Overall though, if you don't really like the style of previous PMD games, this one's probably not going to be on your must-buy list. If you're a fan of the series though, this game has enough new content to make it worth your time to explore again, especially if you haven't played this game much in a while.

I've been through the game myself, currently at Blizzard Island and Hyper Rank. My Starter is Eevee, and partner is Vulpix. Most of the metagame if you played through PMD Time/Darkness is the same, it basically is an expansion pack with a bunch of new stuff thrown in.

So your on blizzard island? LOL, well enjoy yourself. It may get worst for you as you venture further.

As for me Im on surrounded sea (no I didn't get explorers of the sky, im still playing Time).

Im a piplup and my partner is a Torchic (female), so You knew I had a good time back on blizzard. Just a heads up, the boss of that dungeon is a bit of a wuss.

So your on blizzard island? LOL, well enjoy yourself. It may get worst for you as you venture further.

I've been through the entire story on Darkness too.

One thing I've learned: You can never have enough Reviver Seeds. Those things are a godsend against some of the cheap-assed bosses PMD throws your way (Dialga, Wigglytuff's Guild, Palkia, Darkrai... just to name a few). I must have at least 24 in storage right now, and I'll buy them anytime I see one.

It's also a good idea to keep handy an orb that can stun/confuse/sleep a room full of enemies, in case you stumble into a Monster House.

Last edited:
If you have a move that hits everyone but your friends, Monster Houses are a joke. (Unless they manage to block the attack, such as Lighting Rod which nulls all Electric Attacks.)

However, for the Wigglytuff's Guild Boss, you are limited to your starter and partner that you started with only, so... that's out of the question, unless you have Pikachu/Piplup. (Pikachu learns Discharge at Lv. 37, you can teach Blizzard to Piplup, that is, if you find the TM.)

Some moves I could name that hit everyone but your friends are Powder Snow, Discharge, and Blizzard. One thing you DON'T want to use is Earthquake, unless your going solo.

I'm about to start Blizzard Island, but first I need to get my rank up, currently at Diamond Rank.

Is this a good start?

Pikachu Lv. 55
Chikorita Lv. 53
Altaria Lv. 50 (Yay for Wi-Fi Wondermail S.)

Last edited:
SonicX8000: Yeah, you're more than high enough of a level to tackle Blizzard Island. Just bring a huge apple and a couple of Reviver Seeds, just in case. However, just be wary of the Ice-type pokemon. Once you pass 20 floors, you can retreat back to Treasure town to restock, then tackle Crevice Cave. Froslass at the end isn't too hard, just beware of Ominous Wind.

The best way to raise rank is to look for Brine Cave jobs. They average 3* difficulty in a nine-floor dungeon, and jobs for that dungeon pop up at a decent rate. You can tackle any outlaw/rescue jobs there without too much trouble. Just note that they've changed the way the Master Rank works. It's not hard to get there, but there's now Master * Rank, Master ** Rank, etc. I imagine it maxes out at Master 9* Rank.

For reference, I have Eevee and Vulpix both lv. 55, and I'm about to tackle Azurill's Nightmare. I have a bunch of nifty exclusive items, mostly for Vulpix. But right now, I've been focusing on raising Eevee's IQ, thanks to the IQ Booster I got from the Recycle Shop (Prism Ticket Big Win prize). I now know in every floor which general direction the stairs are, so that if there's nothing I need to do on the floor, I head straight for the exit. I will probably make Vulpix my team leader once I plow through the rest of the storyline dungeons.

Last edited:
MilesTraysando said:
cheap-assed bosses PMD throws your way (Dialga, Wigglytuff's Guild, Palkia, Darkrai...)

Im going to find Darkrai as a tasty treat to pummel once I get there. But Wigglytuff's guild fight? Thats not cheap, it's just an overpowered version of the run-of-the-mill monster house, as in no challenge unless they have a move to screw you over with (earthquake for starters,though that backfired for them which had me laughing at they're suffering for a bit :p) I figure since Wigglytuff was seen as a freaking threat in the guild with his power, it would be like fighting two Dialgas at once...though I was disappointed afterwards.

I mean heck, I made it harder on me by choosing to be a Piplup, yet the only bosses in game that provided me with a challenge were Dusknoir (minus his lackeys) and the Kabutops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back