• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tidbit's titanic and tantalizing map development thread that tickles thousands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidbit

An artist of sorts
Hello! Welcome to my little space of the editing forum. Here I will discuss, show and seek critique and comment on the textures and maps that I am currently developing in my spare time. As some of you from the irc might now (as I've frequently bugged several of you) I've been working on a stage called "Forgotten Ruin" and will focus on exploration, puzzle solving and visuals (think seraphic highlands) as opposed to more traditional maps.
Have some screenshots yo
OF1FLJf.png

9rPqlaS.png

GMxIIJk.png

5CtuE1J.png

3K5wUnE.png

2X9qogS.png

t9JZTs6.png

pJ59XIU.png

OkZM2gC.png

FOg2Wbi.png

aZpmJ6T.png

KqRh7gV.png

RPWJ9Cb.png

UptyXHk.png

vTDsaY0.png

y5JwcVn.png

bcDix9l.png

4ZNsbGP.png
Currently deciding on whether I should use the Tidal Tempest Past theme or tunes 99. I want something really atmospheric for the level but still something that'll hold peoples interest while they play the map. Here's the current layout:
OrikuPa.png

As you can see, the main starting area (the big ol'square) has three paths branching off, I want the level to be as nonlinear as possible, with switches opening things in different areas or containing certain collectibles or whatever.
Basically, I've been working on this map for quite a while now, so I doubt I'll finish it any time soon but with everyone putting up threads I thought that doing something similar would be a good way to keep me motivated and the creative juices flowing.

I figured I'd show some of the textures that I put together and am still working on.
3U1fMz4.png

Pretty sure the main colors I'll be using will be blue, green and purple. I'm a huge fan of the green though and I really wanna do more with it so maybe I'll make some carved green tiles or something like in Labyrinth Zone from S1 for pillars and wall accents.

Small update!
2G08sbX.png

upWz7fB.png

39lmtDa.png

This will be the start of the maps main under water section, I also might make it the starting sector as well, not entirely sure but I think it'd be a big improvement over the current starting location.

Oh oh maaaan, that's pretty nice looking! Don't have much too say, it's pretty damn gorgeous both from the visual standpoint and for yohr gameplay ambitions. ...All I hope is that my toaster'll run this with 35FPS. Keep it up!

Hi everyone, its that time of the year again!

I finally decided to get off my ass and start using some of my spare time to work on my map again, hard to believe its been close to a year since I touched it last.
fF4Wx7r.png
luizJ5h.png
79WOWN8.png
0GXWThq.gifv
2CyIDOs.png
0GXWThq.gif

I've mostly been tweaking the starting area because it was feeling way too cramped. I removed the massive pillar in the center of the room and dropped the floor down to make it look a bit more worn down and dilapidated. Also, as seen in the gif above the water pillars now work a bit differently and are easier to traverse. I figured that it'd be smarter to make the player gain access to the path above instead of giving them access right away to give the map a better sense of progression and exploration.

Hopefully more to show soon!

Holy shit. I havent seen this thread until now and gosh do i have to say the custom textures looks great!(way better than me)

That last gif is really cool! I've never seen water gushing upwards with platforms!

I loving your work!

Holy shit. I havent seen this thread until now and gosh do i have to say the custom textures looks great!(way better than me)

That last gif is really cool! I've never seen water gushing upwards with platforms!

I loving your work!

Thanks mate, means a lot that you think my work is snazzy! Just wish that I was able to make myself work on it more often.

Thanks mate, means a lot that you think my work is snazzy! Just wish that I was able to make myself work on it more often.

Im still young and i feel the same way! If only i had more time

This is very borderline backseat moderation. If you feel someone is insulting people, contact a moderator. Don't call them out on the forums.

whoops

honestly I was being more playful then serious but I didn't bother making that obvious I guess :^
sorry for almost breaking the rules (also sorry for calling you out MK)

Defending myself for being an idiot aside, I forgot to say earlier how awesome this map is looking so far! Keep it up pls

Last edited:
No hard feelings.

Back on topic!. How long do you think this level with be as a Solo playthough?

I guess that depends on the player! This map wont be linear in the slightest and will focus on players finding switches to open new pathways to progress and solving puzzles. Seeing how there's never been a level mad that focuses on exploration exclusively... I don't think I can really make a guess on how long it'll take.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Small update on some new paths branching from the right and lower right sides:
Ls0aBmk.png

Sxnx0zP.png

When I started reading this thread I was like "I know this style from somewhere". You're the Secluded Sky guy, aren't you? Welcome back. :)

What I can tell from the screenshots, the rooms look balanced as to flow and details; paths are clear, and the design is consistent, you improved a lot compared to Secluded Sky. I gotta try it for playability test.

Looking forward for the release.

Last edited:
When I started reading this thread I was like "I know this style from somewhere". You're the Secluded Sky guy, aren't you? Welcome back. :)

What I can tell from the screenshots, the rooms look balanced as to flow and details; paths are clear, and the design is consistent, you improved a lot compared to Secluded Sky. I gotta try it for playability test.

Looking forward for the release.

Haha, I haven't thought about that map in a long time! It was quite a cramped location but a good testing ground for a lot of aesthetic details I like to reuse. Glad you like what you've seen so far, I consider it quite the high praise. I might be able to shoot something over to you if you wanna take an early look.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Minor asset update!

2016-08-28%2012_28_03-Xbox.png
2016-08-28%2012_29_39-Photos.png
2016-08-28%2015_37_54-Photos.png
UgDth1R2F7UYftRh+1Hmv8Bvxqp5wduSoYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
UgDth1R2F7UYftRh+1Hmv8Bvxqp5wduSoYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Some major updates to the gargoyle which will be used in push puzzles. Might play around with different colors for the orb to make for more complicated puzzles OR maybe have it work slightly like a chozo and give the player a key which can open doors.

Last edited:
Haha, I haven't thought about that map in a long time! It was quite a cramped location but a good testing ground for a lot of aesthetic details I like to reuse. Glad you like what you've seen so far, I consider it quite the high praise. I might be able to shoot something over to you if you wanna take an early look.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Minor asset update!

2016-08-28%2012_28_03-Xbox.png
2016-08-28%2012_29_39-Photos.png

Some major updates to the gargoyle which will be used in push puzzles. Might play around with different colors for the orb to make for more complicated puzzles OR maybe have it work slightly like a chozo and give the player a key which can open doors.

Wow, looks really neat, keep up this nice work :D

I love how they turned out. The only angle that seems to stand out the most is the back diagonal, due to it having too much brightening on the rear, and too much shading on the top of the head. Would look more consistent if you tried to make it match how the light affects the back angle sprite more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back