Stupid WIndows Vista Error,Translate please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosaver

No Label

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1796 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 2400 (612)

General protection fault!

History: ProcessLeaf <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

0_o I'm not a CPU expert,but what does this mean?

Forgot to say but it happened during the middle of an Exteel game.

Admittedly, I'm not a Windows Ninja, but the last time I got a similar looking error was attempting to play UT and having my Video settings incorrect, so that may be a starting point.

But wouldn't it happen before then since I've been playing this game for a long time on this CPU.

Also a detail - After this my CPU brightness went really high for some reason. -_- Well not really a detail. :P

CPU stands for Central Processing Unit, which is your processor not your computer. =P

And screen brightness? Some games leave the brightness settings on after you turn it off (I've heard Skull Tag does this... Halo doesn't though =D).

I wouldn't call myself a computer expert, but I do know a bit more than average about computers. I would really have to know more about the nature of how this error occurred, but I'm sorry to tell you that General Protection Fault is often an indication of hardware failure.

Google General Protection Fault, guys. It' sjust your standard program crash, like a SIGSEGV.

Ah yes, this is a common Windows Vista error that infects XP based PCs over the internet, fixing it is a simple matter of inserting your Vista or Linux disc and going through the setup procedure.

No, seriously, XP errors are being blamed on Vista now?

Alright, come on now.

First of all, CPU does not mean computer! Don't fall for this assumption, because it's wrong! The CPU is the Central Processing Unit. Your computer is made up of many more components, and they are all united together on the motherboard.

Now, please don't blame program errors directly on the operating system. Learn the difference between when it is the program's fault and when it's related to the OS. This is a program error. A "General Protection Fault" means that the program tried to access memory incorrectly. Submit a bug report to the developers.

That History display is a diagnosis feature of the Unreal Engine, so whatever game you are playing is likely using that game technology. Different games may run on different engines, which may have different ways of showing errors. Some just allow the operating system to intervene when they come across errors ("This program has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.").

In short, don't blame it on the operating system. Go yell at the programmers, since it would seem that they did quite a shoddy job.

fawfulfan said:
but I'm sorry to tell you that General Protection Fault is often an indication of hardware failure.
That is not a hardware failure. Hardware errors are when you get the Blue Screen. "General Protection Fault" is a software error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back