Sonic CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaos said:
Is it just me, or does this have a pretty serious tone for being a SEGA game?

Kinda, but then again, it might be just you...

One of my favorites. It's good to see that a few things did work out fine on the Sega CD. I was actually playing it on the Sega CD last night.

Sonic CD is easily one of my favorite Sonic games, and not only because of the time travel. The levels are laid out in such a way that even in one time period there is a lot of paths in some and the more linear ones like Metallic Madness and Wacky Workbench have an interesting level layout that more than makes up for it.

It also had what was probably my favorite special stages (blue spheres comes close). While UFOs aren't quite a Sonic thing and the stages would have looked better if they weren't so flat, hunting them down was very fun if not quite as challenging as the other versions.

Then we factor in the time travel, it is frustrating to warp back and forth in some places but since they all have a unique layout, it usually doesn't take any enjoyment out of playing. Going into the past and hunting for the robot machine (and hologram) warrants a lot of exploration and trying to get to an area where you can properly travel through time. On the other hand, if you haven't taken out the machine, then hitting a future sign can be deadly.

The bosses are really creative in most cases, even if they go down easy. Metal Sonic is hardly a boss, but is the most challenging and enjoyable boss in the game. The only issues here was that some of these bosses just weren't creative enough to justify going down in two or three hits... and the final boss was especially a disappointment.

And once you've completed the game, the time trials give you an opportunity to take a speed run through the level without the time travel...

Since it is a lesser known title, it is hard to believe it was overrated, especially considering it had so much depth for half a dozen levels.

If that is not enough, the American version has what is probably the most popular Sonic theme/BGM aside from various Shadow songs.

The one level that I didn't really like was Tidal Tempest, mostly because I hate water levels (though I'll miss it if there isn't one...). Otherwise Collision Chaos is probably my least favorite mostly because I didn't enjoy bouncing all over the place as much as the other levels. Quartz Quadrant may be my favorite but I haven't played all the levels in a while.

MY review:

Gameplay: 8/6/10

Although the levels go great with the traveling, the level with no traveling is quite short. People don't see that. The bosses can be a big let down at times. Although the mini ability is awesome, you don't use it much.

Story: 7/10

Eggman wanting the emeralds. Generic. Metal Sonic was an important part to this game, but he's more of a recurring boss, isn't he? Amy doesn't have much of a good role, because you have no idea who the hell is she.

Replay Value: 9/10

Time Attack is fun. Level select to do levels you never did before is cool. But would've been nice to have a staff high score.

***Interesting: 10/10

Go to sound select, enter codes, see pictures. Funny how Tails is actually in the game in some way, even if it's a message. Funny how he says he'll be in the next game, and he is. Fun to see the people disco.

TOTAL: 8.5/10

This game is fantastic. I can rate some things here.

The Good bits

.Great Gameplay, music is absolutely fantastic, and plenty too explore through. The gimmicks are cool, and the level designs are very creative, as well as the music itself. The coolest thing has to be Time travel.

.Time attack is good fun, especially challenging the staff times. I managed to beat Collision Chaos act 1 in 48 seconds. Their time was 49 on Sonic Gems collection. It took me a while to do though.

.The challenges are great, both easy & hard such as the bosses & the time stones.

The bad bits.

.Amy didn't have much of a role except getting captured by Metal Sonic, and then rescued at Starlight Speedway act 3 so she had no point of being in the actuall game unless she had a better role than that.

.As JEV3 said, one of the biggest letdowns is final boss which had a ridiculous battle with it, having to hurt yourself to hit the first blade off, the time stone award was a bit crap, just a better ending. Too bad Super Sonic didn't make it into the final version.

.I hated Collision Chaos zone. There was too many places to bounce around, and there wasn't very many areas to blast away to your hearts content. It's all about speed, not bouncing too much before opening your sick bags at the end of it. Also there was quite a few unexpected cheap hazards such as popping up spikes, and then you go so fast into one slope, you land and them, slice! the blades fly off from them into Sonic's face from them little cricket things on wheels on. Not good.

But other from that, I really enjoy the game. It's my 2nd favourite Sonic game.

Overall rating: 9/10

Sonic CD was truely a great game. But there is something that kept it from being better than Sonic3K, and thats speed. Most of the time you jump, jump and jump again. While this is not a bad thing, it was very diffictult to actually move at some sort of speed, it kept me from running fast on Startdust Speedway. I also agree that the bosses were some of the easiest, yet most original bosses for a Sonic game, I only wish they were a bit harder.

I will start at 10/10 and deduct points for the negative things my eyes recorded that my hands found.

Gameplay rating: -4
Felt more like a Mario than a Sonic with the lack of "Drag Racing" areas and the numerous platforming moments.
Current Total: 6/10

Reused elements: -0.5
Spindash no longer prevents physical contact from harming Sonic.
Current Total: 5.5/10

New Elements: +2.5 recovered
Super Peelout = Win! Man I miss it.
Present + Past + Bad Future + Good Future = 4 times the map to search within for more rings.
Current Total: 8/10

New Character Introductions: +1
Amy is the only female character they actually needed to invent, but I beleive Blaze has a better persona overall. Metal Sonic is Robotnik's ultimate attempt at matching Sonic's abilities. I can't think of a better idea for a penultimate semi-boss character.
Current Total: 9/10

K-8 Score: A
9-12 Score B (<-I hate High School for this reason.)

Edit: Forgot about the Time Travel. Fixed.

Shouldn't you start with 5/10, as it is the middle value? Also I don't agree that much that it lacks "free run" areas, it's actually like Sonic 1 in that, what happens is that if you try to destroy the badnik generation machines you'll lose a lot of time looking for them. If you decide just to go for the time stones, then it isn't really a problem.

Chaos Knux said:
Felt more like a Mario than a Sonic with the lack of "Drag Racing" areas and the numerous platforming moments.

Urm... isn't Sonic a platforming game? The only issue was that it was difficult to travel between time stages in several areas and there were several areas where I could try to just breeze through the level at top speed by platforming well.

What is so special about the Super Peel-out? It just seems like a slightly altered spin dash to me.

If you hold down the directional while using the peel out, you don't lose speed. You do with the spindash because while you're spinning there's no way to increase the speed.

But seriously, the main reason people want the peel out back is because it looks cool :P

Sonic CD is my favourite Sonic game, and its Japanese soundtrack easily beats any music of every other Sonic game.
The US soundtrack makes me puke, though.

Sonic CD is definitely my favorite Sonic game. The music was amazing, the game play was pretty good and Metal Sonic was Robotnik's only robot that is cool enough to mention. I actually use the PC version's CD as my music for SRB2 in CD music mode because I like it so much.

I like the U.S. version of the music better.

(I don't really like Japanese entertainment. i.e. Music, Anime, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back