What happened to Windows 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

golteam

Have you ever wondered why Windows 10 skipped Windows 9? Is it because Seven ate nine or what?
And by the way, I am using Windows 7 though.

Last edited:
Short version: There is no Windows 9.

Long version: When programs want to check the Windows version you're using, they interpret Windows 95 as "Windows 9" . So, if those find that you're using a version of Windows with the number 9, they will think you're using Windows 95. They could have just made another name for Windows 9, but they chose to skip that number and go to 10.

Actually, the OS version isn't reported that way, I don't recall how exactly but it's certainly not a string with the full commercial name.
This example of check here might help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/307394
As for the real reason, I'm not sure myself, of all the suggested explanations the one I found more plausible is that MS just wanted to get as far from 8 as it could, silly as it may sound.

Why

"8.1" is just an other way to write "9" , because in electronics the dot means "and" , so if we translate to electronish we have : "8 and 1", in school we were told that we can add two numbers by using either the symbol "+" or the word "and", so if we retranslate that to schoolish we have "8 + 1" which is a simple math operation that gives us "9" ! here is your Windows Nine!

But why "8.1" and not simply "9" ? Well, probably because in Japan "9" is pronounced "ku" which has the same pronunciation as agony or torture and describes perfectly their new system, so they changed it to "8.1" because writing "8+1" would be too obvious.

source : VOLT, PhD in internet retardation

We all know that Windows Seven ate 9. They're just hiding it.

As far as I know, Microsoft skipped 9 because "Windows 9" would sound more like an updated version of Windows 8 so they just skipped to 10 to let it sound like it is something "new" and not just an updated version of 8.

I have read something like that in a german computer magazine. I can't exactly remember what they said but I believe it was something like that.

Actually, the OS version isn't reported that way, I don't recall how exactly but it's certainly not a string with the full commercial name.
This example of check here might help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/307394
As for the real reason, I'm not sure myself, of all the suggested explanations the one I found more plausible is that MS just wanted to get as far from 8 as it could, silly as it may sound.

Hmm, maybe you're right and the info I found is bogus. Reason this may be true is that I didn't really look for a lot of info because, honestly, does it really matter if it isn't called Windows 9?

No, it's still the most plausible reason people have given. While the version number isn't actually stored that way, a lot of third party software just checks for "Windows 9*" in the OS name, and considering how ancient a lot of software that still gets used is, it's entirely believable that this could provide some serious issues if they named it Windows 9. The Windows dev team takes backwards compatibility insanely seriously. As a dev for a game running on a twenty year old engine, I'm rather thankful for that, too =P

The old reddit thread where the explanation came from: https://www.reddit.com/r/technology...ows_version_will_be_called_windows_10/ckwq83x

Oh, okay, after some more research I have to admit there's some working Java code that would make that plausible (I'd seen an example of it, but it was incorrect so I thought it might've been a lie). Sorry then.
Still, that is both a very lazy and (in hindsight) risky way to check for an OS version, and something MS could've easily avoided just by letting the system report a slightly different string than "Windows 9" in that specific case.

if (versionString.Contains("Windows 9")
; // Windows 9x
else if (versionString.Contains(\/\/1|\||)0wz 9")
; // Windows 9

Avoiding confusion with Windows 9x seems likely enough.

I prefer the Gensokyo conspiracy theory, though:
AMzjsjp.jpg

tZc2nI0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back