• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

How to make a Polyobject (WARNING IMAGE HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
Ok, this probably isn't well-written, but I wanted to share the information I learned about these hoping it helps someone. This comes from about two hours of experimenting. If anything is broken or mis-typed, let me know.

How to make a basic Polyobject:

Open up a new map, and create your usual stuff. Place a Polyobject Spawn in the center of the map with an angle of 1. MAKE SURE the flag value is set to 0.

img1.png

Create a sector outside the map, about 192x192, and merge it with your middle sector.

img2.png

Create a sector inside that, about 128x128, and give it a floor height of 0 and a ceiling height of 128. Make sure the sidedefs are facing out. (Don't worry about flats, they don't display.)

img3.png

Look for the highest numbered linedef in that square, and give it Type 20, and Tag 1.

img4.png

Place a polyobject anchor in the midle of the sector. Again, flag value must be 0.

img5.png

Create another sector, floor height 1 (this should be equal to the polyobject number) and ceiling height 256.

img6.png

Pick a linedef on the sector, and give it a type of 22 and a tag of 1.

img7.png

Test the game, and you should see your polyobject!

img8.png

How to make it move horizontally:

Place a set of Zoom Tube Waypoints, angle ascending from 0, flag 0, height 64.

img9.png

Make a new sector, and set one linedef to "Linedef Exec Trigger - Level Load".

imgA.png

Set another linedef on that sector to "Linedef Exec - PolyObject: Follow Waypoints" with an X offset of 32, a Y offset of 0, tag 1, and effects 3, 4, and 6 checked.

imgB.png

Test, and your polyobject should be sliding back and forth! (You can use varying Z positions for the waypoints, and the polyobject should go up and down.)

imgC.png

You can also make it spin with the following changes:

-Don't place the waypoints.
-Set your Follow Waypoints linedef to PolyObject: Rotate Left/Right (Depending on which you like), X offset to the speed you want, and Y offset to 360.

Leave everything else the same.

imgD.png

imgE.png

Polyobject Notes:

The polyobject simply renders the side textures as though they were main textures on a linedef. Floors do not render.

Examples

yeah you an. i saw an example of it in ERZ@ but i cant make it work.
Why dont thefloors show up?

Wait...so polyobjects don't render the floor and ceiling? So you can't use them to make horizontally-moving platforms?

Now now, Polyobjects could be used for some out-of-bounds visuals. It has SOME potential, but not for actually constructing the level in MOST circumstances.

wait a minute. you can make Fans out of polyobjects and fofs! Study ERZ act 2 and you will see what i mean!

Yeah, and you could theoretically also use them to make a flag that waves back and forth a little.

That fan is a texture.
Edit: this post was made before seeing the fans in question at the start of ERZ 2.

Last edited:
I think in ERZ1 there was a horizontally moving platform with a visible flat. *goes to check*

That isn't a polyobject, it's a zillion tiny FOFs that are on...what, continuous something or other...and they're all synced to disappear/reappear so they look like a polyobject. :D And you guys wonder why ERZ1 takes so long to load.

hey, let me make a question, How to do this?

Create a sector outside the map, about 192x192, and merge it with your middle sector.

wol_error.gif

img2.png

How to merge sectors in this case?(I already readed and understanded all srb2DB tutorials in the wiki)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back