May/June 2014 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never really did this review thing before sooo...

SP Rankings

1. Clock Towers Zone by RedEnchilada and Pac
  2. Seraphic Skylands Zone by Spherallic
  3. Egg Outposts Zone by Tyrannic
  4. Glacier Gear Zone by toaster
  5. Sand Valley Zone by Chrome
  6. Floral Road Zone by "Lat'"
  7. Sacred Woodland by HAPPYFOX
  8. Emerald Lake Zone by glaber
  9. Midnight Caves Zone by Chaobrother

EDIT:

For personal reasons, I currently don't have the game to write down reviews for the maps. The two maps I reviewed have been removed as well, because I'm not really happy with how they were written. However, I have played them enough times to rank them properly, so here we go:

Seraphic Skylands Zone > Glacier Gear Zone > Sand Valley Zone > Clock Towers Zone > Floral Road Zone, Act 1 > Midnight Caves Zone > Sacred Woodland Zone > Egg Outposts Zone > Emerald Lake Zone, Act 2

Last edited:
What's this "Dark crystal room" people keep referring to for EOZ? I never encountered anything close to that. And I never got lost either.

What's this "Dark crystal room" people keep referring to for EOZ? I never encountered anything close to that. And I never got lost either.

By choosing the left path at the begining of the level, you will find it, for sure.

Okay, to Rob and anyone who was playing EOZ in OpenGL: In my submissions post, I stated specifically that OpenGL was NOT supported due to the dark cave being way too dark, I noticed that. I know that nobody except few people are able to see that submission thread, so it was my mistake. While still pretty dark, I found the software mode-cave to be playable at least. Software and OpenGL seem to handle darkness very differently. Maybe give it another try?

EDIT: @Puppyfaic: "Lat'" is right, it can't be missed when taking te left path.

Last edited:
0. Seraphic Skylands Zone
2. Clock Tower Zone
3. Sand Valley Zone
4. Glacier Gear Zone
5. Sacred Woodland Zone
6. Floral Road Zone
7. Midnight Caves Zone
8. Egg Outposts Zone
9. Emerald Lake Zone
I'll vote for multiplayer entries later.

Okay, to Rob and anyone who was playing EOZ in OpenGL: In my submissions post, I stated specifically that OpenGL was NOT supported due to the dark cave being way too dark, I noticed that. I know that nobody except few people are able to see that submission thread, so it was my mistake. While still pretty dark, I found the software mode-cave to be playable at least. Software and OpenGL seem to handle darkness very differently. Maybe give it another try?

EDIT: @Puppyfaic: "Lat'" is right, it can't be missed when taking te left path.

For what it's worth, I just went back through it in software and it was just as bad as it was when i went through it in OpenGL. Granted, I had gr_softwarefog on so that may have made a difference, but it was still too dark. I never actually knew about the button in the last part of the dark cave because I couldn't see that you could platform up there.

For what it's worth, I just went back through it in software and it was just as bad as it was when i went through it in OpenGL. Granted, I had gr_softwarefog on so that may have made a difference, but it was still too dark. I never actually knew about the button in the last part of the dark cave because I couldn't see that you could platform up there.

Huh, okay. Then it's really about game/system settings it seems. Works fine for me, I can perfectly see those platforms. I apologize.

Ok everyone, I just found out what's causing the motobug problem. It's SRB2 version 2.1.7 Please update to version 2.1.8.

I just tested with a just download copy of 2.1.7 and every bug issue people are reporting is happening on that version, but not 2.1.8.

Edit, ok now I really have no idea what's going on. because now the problem is starting to pop up on 2.1.8.

How? this didn't happen durring testing!

Doom builder 2, that my problem. has to be.

Last edited:
Here is a list of levels from most favorite to least favorite (the most favorite on the top while the least favorite on the bottom):

Single Player Levels:
-Seraphic Skylands Zone by Spherallic
-Sand Valley Zone by Chrome
-Glacier Gear Zone by toaster
-Emerald Lake Zone, Act 2 by glaber
-Midnight Caves Zone by Chaobrother
-Floral Road Zone, Act 1 by "Lat'"
-Sacred Woodland by HAPPYFOX
-Clock Tower Zone by RedEnchilada and Pac
-Egg Outposts Zone by Tyrannic

Match Levels:
-Climate Chaos Zone by EvilEternity3000
-Moonlit Precipice Zone by Knux576
-Crystal Coast Zone by Steel Titanium

Capture the Flag Levels:
-Techno Laser 4 by CoatRack
-Forbidden Woods Zone by the cyan
-Quicksand Caverns Zone by RedEnchilada
-Old Sport Zone Act 1922: New Money vs Old Money by Jellybones and Eblo
-Wtf? Ctf by Root and CyanFox

That was my vote on the Levels.

Lastly, to anyone who has not played Sand Valley as Knuckles: Go play Sand Valley as Knuckles.

There’s more to see when you play as him.
Moved from 4th to 3rd place just because of that path. Good job dude!

Last edited:
Huh, okay. Then it's really about game/system settings it seems. Works fine for me, I can perfectly see those platforms. I apologize.

You should really get a few playtesters before submitting the map so that this sort of issue can be averted.

Nice to know you reviewed a map without playing it thoroughly a second time or so, not noticing the huge pathsplit on the left. :V

You should really get a few playtesters before submitting the map so that this sort of issue can be averted.
I could have used a couple myself and maybe have figured out how to advoid my Crash and motobug issues

So here is my CTF ranking:

Forbidden Woods>Techno Laser 4>Old Sport 1992>Quicksand Caverns>WTF? CTF

Reviews:

Forbidden Woods, 9/10
I really liked it, the map was interresting and entraining. I had fun playing it with a friend. It has a good size and is really solid, my only complaint about it was maybe the flags that were hard to find the first time, even if you sent me betas. Visuals are beautiful inside of the wood buildings.

Techno Laser 4, 7,5/10
Even if I had fun with my friend, it was really confusing and small, (unless I missed something) Even if the upper path is nice etc. Also, the exit teleporter that leads you to the middle seems a perfect place for grenade traps... But, good work, I want to see more!

Old Sport 1992, 6/10
The map was good in overall, my problem was the super sized bases and the difficulty I had to find the flags. Also, the big pit in the middle was way too deep, make it more obvious.

Quicksand Caverns, 5,5/10
So, first off, I found myself really cramped in the map and the middle just requires a good jump to easyly get in the other base, some caves might be a good bouncering fest tough... Other than that, I liked this map.

WTF? CTF, 0/10
No, just no. If I was epileptic, I would be dead...
Is this "Toaster Disco Room"? I mean why is there a giant toaster in the middle of the map? And why so flashy colors?

Last edited:

I know, I know.... I don't know anyone in person playing Srb2, so I'm going to try find someone on these forums should I participate in a future contest.

I know, I know.... I don't know anyone in person playing Srb2, so I'm going to try find someone on these forums should I participate in a future contest.

You can show them on the IRC. There's always somebody willing to playtest maps and it also won't be DQ'd like if you posted it to Releases.

Single Player:

Seraphic Skylands > Sand Valley > Glacier Gear > Clockwork Towers > Floral Road 1 > Midnight Caves > Sacred Woodland > Egg Outposts > Emerald Lake 2

Seraphic Skylands Zone, by Spherallic (Video)
Damn Sphere, you really know how to make a level great and beautiful. Everything fits with each other, and the level made me actually want to be there. Only thing it's a shame about that glitch I mentioned up there.

Sand Valley Zone, by Chromatian (Video)
I really liked the way you made the quicksand actually fun, and all the secrets that you hid in the level made it great fun exploring it, including the Knuckles path. Only complaint is there are some visual glitches, and of course some of the Detons in really nasty places.

Glacier Gear Zone, by Toaster (Video)
I like this level, the bouncing floors and walls are really cool, particularly in tandem with the goop. The secret boss is also certainly worth a chuckle. PS: I beat your time

Clockwork Towers Zone, by RedEnchilada and Pac (Video)
You've managed to make 2D levels alot less restricting, and it really makes for a great level here. The chains were a fun gimmick, although it was kinda ruined by some of the Robo-Hood's constantly shooting you, especially the ones at the end. Some of the Egg Guards are also in really awful places, like the first one at the upper path at the beginning, and the one on the tower near the Robo-Hood. (Also, screw that FaceStabber Emblem >:() PPS: I also beat your time

Floral Road Zone 1, by ''Lat'' (Video)
I don't really see why you had to include the level up lua, but alright. The level itself is pretty average, with one path taking much longer to complete and the other allowing you to finish the level in less than 30 seconds.

Midnight Caves Zone, by Chaobrother (Video)
Meh... it's a kind of 1.09.4 map. There's something here and there, the texture placement is kinda random and... it feels a little empty. The see through glass on that one path was kinda cool though.

Sacred Woodland Zone, by HAPPYFOX (Video)
The map was a little dark, which made it hard to see at certain points. The Robo-Hoods shoot lasers that leave flames behind for some reason, which gets annoying when there are more of them and if you have to backtrack because you fell.

Egg Outposts Zone, by Tyrannic (Video)
Well, this map is a little beginner like which as always isn't perfect, so there are still things you have to learn. For one, you don't have all rings deafed, so they're just lying on the ground, which looks odd. The crystal caves part is annoying because it's hard to see thing, and it is all too easy to fall down back where you started, which is also a big no-no.

Emerald Lake Zone 2, by glaber (Video)
The fish are frozen, the enlarged textures are ugly as sin, and why the hell did you include a shittier version of this level within the map?!

You've been submitting maps to the OLDC for longer than 5 years, you have absolutely no excuse for this kind of level.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say Lightspeed, very amazing that you actually made videos of all the submissions. The easiest way to find problems and improve your map is to simply watch someone else stumble around in it on their first time, better than text itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back