Updated OS X requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

PezDude

Hey there folks. Just quickly, amazing game!!
When I saw this I thought, finally, Sonic on my Mac without an emulator!

Then I saw the requirements . I don't meet them but I thought I'd try it all the same on my 5 year old iBook. Guess what?

IT WORKS!!!! SMOOTHLY!!!!

True, you need to set most of it to low settings (640x480, no dynamic lighting etc.) but who cares, it is silky smooth.

The specs of my machine is as follows:

iBook G3 600mhz.
384mb RAM
8mb Video Card!!!! (Requirements said I needed 32!!)
OS 10.3.9

Spread the news to others with older manchines.
Thanks again for such a great game and by keeping it free. :D

I like the Mac version of SRB2. I just wish that someone would make a new version of it. My Mac is iBook G4 with OS 10.4

Mac SRB2 V1.09.2.
Windows SRB2 V1.09.4.

Running SRB2 on 600Mhz computer is nothing spectacular, in fact it should run on a Pentium Pro 166 at 320x200 (software), with MIDI music, quite well.
I have a computer that is five years old (Celeron 900Mhz), and it handles SRB2 perfectly.

tails92 said:
Running SRB2 on 600Mhz computer is nothing spectacular, in fact it should run on a Pentium Pro 166 at 320x200 (software), with MIDI music, quite well.
I have a computer that is five years old (Celeron 900Mhz), and it handles SRB2 perfectly.

Macs run different then Windows. Most of that 600mhz goes to the OS. Plus it can only run in OpenGL.

AlamGBC Thank you for SRB2Mac V1.09.4

Okay, maybe I'm missing something stupid but I just played it and it ended after stage 3 (Eggmans Castle I think the stage name was) and then sent me to the credits saying it was only a demo? Am I using an old version or something? I downloaded this one from MacUpdate.com.
I admit I played it on easy difficulty just to try it out but it seems a bit odd that there was no other messages. Is there another version out there?

My earlier post about my specs was because everywhere I've seen this was saying it required an 800mhz G3 with 512mb Ram and 32mb vid card.

Just thought it was worth mentioning it.

Cheers.

PezDude said:
Okay, maybe I'm missing something stupid but I just played it and it ended after stage 3 (Eggmans Castle I think the stage name was) and then sent me to the credits saying it was only a demo? Am I using an old version or something? I downloaded this one from MacUpdate.com.
I admit I played it on easy difficulty just to try it out but it seems a bit odd that there was no other messages. Is there another version out there?

My earlier post about my specs was because everywhere I've seen this was saying it required an 800mhz G3 with 512mb Ram and 32mb vid card.

Just thought it was worth mentioning it.

Cheers.

There are a lot of addons (wads) to game like Mystic Realm that has over 50 levels. You can add wads to the mac version just by right clicking on srb2mac.app and then click Show Package Contents.Then Contents>Resources now put the wads in here. Then use the console and type "addfile filename.wad".

jrose05 said:
There are a lot of addons (wads) to game like Mystic Realm that has over 50 levels. You can add wads to the mac version just by right clicking on srb2mac.app and then click Show Package Contents.Then Contents>Resources now put the wads in here. Then use the console and type "addfile filename.wad".

you don't need to do that, plus I will be updating it, so just add your wads to the srb2 folder Srb2Mac created in your user folder

sonicfreak94 said:
You think it would work on a 300mghz purple iMac or 400 mghz blue and white g3? they both have 10.2.8

It might, though the requirements say it need 10.3.9. I'd still try it. Back when I had 10.1, Virtual Programming was saying everything needed 10.2 to run their download games but they ran fine.

Anyway, desktop G3's generally get better performance on a mhz to mhz than the iBook. My 600 is probably more like a 500 desktop in terms of power. Turn everything down in the Vid settings and it might work.
Note, the sound might make a difference as well. I have mine high and it's great.
I did get a slight drop in smoothness at the start of Act two of greenflower zone when there're huge cliffs around you but other than that, no worries.

I actually read a post about someone worried of a 10fps game. For me thats perfectly good. (Believe me, play Jedi Knight 2 or Deus Ex and you'll be used to sub 10fps games.)

Sorry about the ramble. Like I said, give it a shot. You may be surprised.

Cheers.

Yeah it works great.
On this mac that I'm posting from(my dads blue & white G3)I got 704 MB of ram, and it has a 350mghz processor clocked to 400mghz, and I have OSX 10.2.8 running on it. And srb2 works perfect. No lag, Perfect prefomance, and runs really smooth. Its really cool. But screenshots are converted into tga files. And you can't see any other servers unless you use listserv, and it won't let me connect anyway... Also, when you spin in place, the spinning sprites move upward, and when standing next to a wall, it's like hes spinning on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back