Edge of Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charybdizs

>WTB lamp oil
Administrator
Kart Krew™️
Terraria, with it's all the good and the bad it brought, really did set a genre. The good, opened up people to a new genre, and the bad, it gave them inspiration to take the good and do a better job with it. In the past few months, games that take inspiration from the ideas of Terraria been popping up all over the place. Starbound and Edge of Space are two such games, and I'm aware of two in much earlier stages, known as Crea, and Podkins. The latter of which I am very enthusiastic about. But this topic is about Edge of Space. I originally found out about it when I was referred, on IRC. I was rather skeptical about it, considering that their game trailer was pretty weak. But the community was very welcoming, and friendly, and soon I figured out that my skepticisms on the game were largely due to poor information on their part, not poor design. I've gotten active in their community as of recently, and have been able to take part in a few livestreams and such.

Edge of Space is a game about forging your life in some wild corner of the universe. Your only company is those who landed with you, and whatever wild space creatures you can tame. The toxic world is out to destroy you though, and throughout a process reminiscent of reclaiming the land, you must terraform the world into a habitable space. But the more hostile parts of the world are always knocking on your door, as if you don't provide protection and power for your base and generators, the toxic gases and wildlife will overtake it once again, and all will be lost. Toxic environment is not all you need to be wary of though, as there are dangerous creatures on the prowl. Some are relatively tame, and will only attack in self defense, but others will come for you. Some of the most dangerous will come for you, and if they succeed in slaughtering you, will then hunt down your base and kill all those you hold dear to you. Your friends, and whatever NPCs are with you.
SwarmTest_Turrets.png

The team is putting a very important emphasis on the balance of different weapon and armor types. Instead of using the basic fire/ice/electricity, they are doing more a physics based system, with effects such as thermal, concussive, and... and... eh, I know I heard them in a stream, but I can't remember them anymore. There were a few others. In other words, there won't be one overpowering armor, but they will each have their pros and cons, leaving some choice to the player regarding playing style.

One unique part about this game, is that as it takes place among asteroids and planetoids, you will be using your jetpack to do a lot of traveling, and even fighting. As you can see in their (admittedly terrible) trailer here. But really, if you want to see the game in action, or hear the cool music Robot Science and others made for it, I'd suggest you visit the livestream of questions, conversation, and development, that happens on Sundays, at 9pm EST on http://www.twitch.tv/edgeofspace.
screenshot%20%284%29.png

If there is one complaint I have about this game, it's the art style. To a certain extent, it is merely personal preference, but I think some of the color choice in this game is poor, as is depth. And the animations definitely need work. But in truth, they are still a WIP, and I've seen some improvements happen even in the time I've been in the community. Even the basic walking already looks vastly better than it does in that trailer. But really, I've always been a sucker for more cutesy and colorful themes, so I prefer Starbound's visuals more. This game takes more of a satire sci-fi theme. But nothing I've seen so far has been able to top the delightful sparkling neon colors of Terraria. *sigh* I really did love that art style, except for the lame character designs. But oh, I'm getting off topic in my own topic post now.

One more screenshot, this one showing off their gas system.
screenshot%20%285%29.png

The release is set for late October, as things are looking.

Discuss, post your thoughts and comments. And if you are looking forward to it, come greenlight it on Steam! Also, drop by the IRC at icedawn.net on #edgeofspace, or and visit the new website and forums here: http://playedgeofspace.com/index.html

Last edited:
My gripe with the graphics (Notably with the terrain) being terrible remains, but I'll probably end up giving it a shot in some way or form.

My gripe with the graphics (Notably with the terrain) being terrible remains, but I'll probably end up giving it a shot in some way or form.

I agree, the graphics really don't look to nice together. The terrain looks like it's from an SNES game and the main character looks really out of place in comparison. I'm not sure if I'll even play it (wasn't too happy with Terraria) but I might if it gets a good reaction when it's out.

If it's no trouble for either of you, could one of you go into more detail with what exactly you don't like about the terrain? I've tried, myself, but can't really pinpoint many major issues, which is annoying, because I can't really discuss it with the developers if I can't. I'm super eager to see this game look a lot cooler, because what I've seen from the streams looks pretty impressive, gameplaywise. Even though the graphics are terrible.

Oh God those graphics.
This isn't Terraria, and from what I've read it isn't supposed to be block-based, so what the Hell?

I seriously hope this gets improved upon.

EDIT: Please tell me that trailer music isn't going to be featured in the game. It just sounds... Ugh. I mean, this game probably doesn't have that high of a budget, but the terrible parallax and mediocre graphic styles can't be excused by that.

Last edited:
Oh God those graphics.
This isn't Terraria, and from what I've read it isn't supposed to be block-based, so what the Hell?

If this makes any sense, please tell me. No one ever said it was supposed to be Terraria, nor did anyone say it wasn't supposed to be block based. It obviously is.

Please tell me that trailer music isn't going to be featured in the game. It just sounds... Ugh. I mean, this game probably doesn't have that high of a budget, but the terrible parallax and mediocre graphic styles can't be excused by that.

Uh, the trailer music actually isn't that bad. Even still, having heard a lot of the soundtrack, I can guarantee it is most definitely the weakest of the pieces. The soundtrack is actually quite fantastic. I think this song was just terrible choice for a trailer. As were... uh, almost all of the shots, too. :p
Cinematics is not their strong point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back