Life, the universe, and everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what's funny?

Think about how large our universe is.

Think about how large our galaxy is.

Think about how large our solar system is.

Think about how large Earth is.

Now, think about all that Earth has created in its long life span.

Now, think about what is lost if the Earth is suddenly eradicated.

Is it a lot? You tell me. I'm not sure, either.

Do we even exist? How big is the universe? Is it even a closed sphere, or is it a never-ending open plane? Due to the sheer size of the universe, is life on other planets probable? (This is solvable by the Drake Formula.) How will our little blue world end? Will we last long enough to see the end happen? What about black holes? What actually happens when you reach the gravitational center of one? Spaghettification? What if humans acquire the ability to travel at light speed? Faster? What if humans figure out how to use the spacetime continuum? What's outside of the universe? Are there multiple universes? If not, what's out there? How did the universe get created? The Big Bang? Where did that energy come from? How did the Big Bang happen? How come we were chosen to develop life and not any other planets in our system? What about the end of the universe? What happens then?

Questions, questions, questions... I think the one I'd like to know most, is:

What is the true meaning of life? (It's not 42, if you haven't already known.) I just wish we could know if life has a purpose, if it was given to us by some deity somewhere, or if existence is actually nonexistent, and nothing is actually happening...

I think if you travel far enough, eventually your coordinate values will overflow and the universe will wrap.

I think the true meaning of life is to see if we could survive, grow, mature, and become something great to see if we go to hell or heaven. It's a test to see if we can be sucessful or a failure and if we keep continuing or if we give up. Like every choice is a test to see where are you going to go when you die? It could be vanilla or strawberry and if you choose the wrong ice cream( the one god doesn't like) it shows that if god likes you or not. (Sure he loves us all, but there is a lot not to like about people)

I also think that it is what I just said or life has no meaning. It's just that we can play, have fun, do whatever we should do. We do what we do.

Ash said:
Spaghettification?

lol Spaghetti

But in all seriousness, I agree with Earuto on the meaning of life part.

Ash said:
How big is the universe? Is it even a closed sphere, or is it a never-ending open plane? Due to the sheer size of the universe, is life on other planets probable?
I think the universe is endless, and I believe there is other life out there.

Ash said:
How did the universe get created? The Big Bang? Where did that energy come from? How did the Big Bang happen?
I don't really care how the universe came to be, only that it exists. Because, it is really important how the universe was created? Or should we just be glad it was created, no matter how?

I believe that humans, sentient life forms, and such were created by mere chance, in this way life is a bit of a gambling game. (What do you get when you add up all the numbers on 2 six sided dice? 42. Lol)
The universe itself is probably infinite. There might even be more dimensions than the 3 or 4 we can move in. There might be life greater than us (I don't think we're on top, but we're definately on the bottom)

I suppose, the only thing we can really be sure of is our own existance. "I think, therefore I am"

Life is a delecate structure, I'm quite certain we won't live to see it all. But the mastery of reality we sentient beings are beginning to grasp hold of may give us the power to see as much as possible. There's no way of knowing what happens when we die, but I'm always hoping for reincarnation. Like most humans, my curiosity is nearly infinite.

It all depends on how you view Science and Religion. Naturally, these things collide with one another, and it's hard to believe in both when one contradicts the other. Now, I myself believe in both (as a lot of people do), but things seem to not make sense when taken into both points of view. The Big Bang collides with God creating the universe, Human Evolution collides with Adam and Eve, and the list goes on. Many people have solutions for these problems, but there's no concrete evidence that the solutions are real (also depends on what you see as "real").
Like Sik said, I think the meaning of life is different for every person, and I don't know exactly what to base my knowledge on.
Life is just worth living. That's why we have fear. That's why we get relieved after getting close to death. We're supposed to live. But for which reason? Ask someone else.

I believe everyone is put in place for a purpose. Some people don't realize there purpose, others do and will never succeed in there true goal. I think I know what my purpose is and I will strive to reach that purpose.

As for the universe, being Christian I should say that God created it, but ultimately I believe what a character once said in a book. "The universe is like a balloon and all the planets, stars, and everything else is the surface of that balloon. What fills it nobody truly knows, the same goes for what the universe is expanding into. The deity's only exist because we believe in them, but without them we would also fail to exist." I know it doesn't answer any question completely but I feel that is the closest explanation to life and the universe I can give.

Draykon said:
(What do you get when you add up all the numbers on 2 six sided dice? 42. Lol)
Is that from where it comes? Anyways, you just made me remind Lost numbers, and how Hurley's numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42) appear all over the series, as well as how they add up 108, which is also another number that appears quite often.

Draykon said:
The universe itself is probably infinite.
Mainly because it isn't a computer with a value limit :P

Draykon said:
There might even be more dimensions than the 3 or 4 we can move in.
Five as far as I know. Not sure what exactly it is, just that there is a fifth dimension (distance movement in the time, anyone?).

Draykon said:
There might be life greater than us (I don't think we're on top, but we're definately on the bottom)
Agreed :P

Draykon said:
There's no way of knowing what happens when we die, but I'm always hoping for reincarnation. Like most humans, my curiosity is nearly infinite.
Please no :/ You would lose your memory in the way (making it useless), as well as you would have to suffer school and such again x_X

Ice said:
The Big Bang collides with God creating the universe,
God caused the Big Bang to create the universe. Collision solved :P

Jam said:
I believe everyone is put in place for a purpose. Some people don't realize there purpose, others do and will never succeed in there true goal. I think I know what my purpose is and I will strive to reach that purpose.
If something has to happen, it will happen. Everybody will finish up having a purpose in life and doing it, even if indirectly and without knowing it.

Ok, but how does this thing have the ability to be omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient? Where is it now? How can it know what's happening in the entire universe at the same time? How can it control from where it is?

=|

Sik said:
Draykon said:
There's no way of knowing what happens when we die, but I'm always hoping for reincarnation. Like most humans, my curiosity is nearly infinite.
Please no :/ You would lose your memory in the way (making it useless), as well as you would have to suffer school and such again x_X

What's wrong with school?? Is is the teachers? The work?

I don't mean to bring religion into this, but I believe that in heaven, where there supposedly is no pain or suffering, we long to feel more emotions, so we are born into earth. On earth, it is possible to have all of these feelings that don't exist in heaven. Hate, pain, etc. This is why life sucks.

Ok, but how does this thing have the ability to be omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient? Where is it now? How can it know what's happening in the entire universe at the same time? How can it control from where it is?

Simple, if you think of the universe it is everywhere at ounce, but at the same time it is only in one place.

EDIT: Now God is a bit like the universe he is everywhere at the same time. Then theres the matter of time how can anyone be in the past and in the present? How can he possibly exist without being made? I would say that God is beyond time since he doesn't exist inside the universe but outside of it therefore he has no past and no future.

Science and religion try to disprove each other, they will not admit that they seem to fit perfectly together. Scientists claim it was the big bang but then what came before the big bang? How did it start? I believe that only a deity can answer these questions, but only by dieing can we prove the diety exists.

As Shakespeare once said 'I walk into an unknown house'

nitro_the_hedghog said:
I don't mean to bring religion into this, but I believe that in heaven, where there supposedly is no pain or suffering, we long to feel more emotions, so we are born into earth. On earth, it is possible to have all of these feelings that don't exist in heaven. Hate, pain, etc. This is why life sucks.

Don't worry. It was already brought in just a while ago.

nitro_the_hedghog said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the life sucks bit, okay occasionally I feel pain, hatred and all these things, but like you said without all of these I wouldn't be able to feel happy, or loved. It would be ordinary, the pain is what makes me who I am, what makes me feel ecstatic, and what makes me human! Without it I would be nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back