• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Theqmayn's Cave of Forgotten Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theqmayn

Hi. I'm theqmayn! I make stuff for SRB2. I first came here in the 1.09.4 days, but forgot about the game after never getting new stuff. Recently, I found the game again, got back into it, and started making stuff for it. Now low and behold... My Cave of Forgotten Secrets

I want to make things nobody has seen yet in SRB2! That is my goal. For example:

2ic5rvd.png

Marine the Raccoon! She is my first character I made. She sucks because of that, but I tried. If anyone really wants her, just private message me, she is functional, but has lame walking sprites. Therefore she shalln't be posted publicly.

If anyone wants to see all of the sprites, here you go:
1tvjvq.jpg

Now, having finished my first character wad, I decided to have a go at another:
qo7q6e.jpg

Also finished. Next project I will decide on soon!

That's right it is emerl! Nobody has ever built this guy (besides MD2), so I will!

A screenshot of in game:
e87doj.png

Emerl is nowhere near finished however. Its going to take me a while to finish him. My ingame example uses Metal Anyone and has just the first 3 frames. Eventually, when I finish, I will ask D00D64 permission to see if we can work collaborate, and combine them, making a unique emerl wad!

Below I will show off my progress on my wads.

Marine.wad 100% Link: Try asking nicely via private message only!

Emerl.wad 100% Link: Try asking nicely via private message only!

Feedback would be much appreciated. I hope you like, and I can make lots of cool stuff. If I make enough quality, then I may even make a THEQMAYN PACK similar to the old Dr. Pepper set from 1.09.4!

Last edited:
av34vn.jpg

Work in progress walk frames. These are hard so, feedback would be nice. Sorry if it looks like it has blurs, but I compressed the image to save space to load here.

av34vn.jpg

Work in progress walk frames. These are hard so, feedback would be nice. Sorry if it looks like it has blurs, but I compressed the image to save space to load here.

Why don't you cut off all of the extra space in the image until you need it?

Not to come out as harsh, but these sprites have many problems.

1.) Consistency - these sprites seem to change in shape as the rotations go, ie. the shape of the head, the body, the arms. To see what I mean, simply compare the front sprite head to the back sprite head.

2.) Shading - The Colours seem very flat, the outline seems to stick out and some places seem to be misshaded to a wrong shade.

3.) Disfigured Diagonal face - This may go along with consistency problems, but just compare the diagonal face with the front face.

4.) Walking frames in general - the walking frames (besides the side frames) seem lazily done, one could see little effort was made in these. They all seem like minor edits on the shoes, leaving the top bit exactly the same as it was in the previous frames making only the feet move when walking. This leaves the animation really plain and blank. As for the side walking frames, the legs seem misplaced in a way that the legs are coming from his back, which in itself is outrageous and also contributes to the consistency issue with the other rotations.

Basically, you made the first 5 rotations with poor consistency and shading, then copy and pasted them with slight alterations only to the feet, duplicating the same errors on the first frames carrying them over to the rest, and then making lazy edits to make them seem to be walking.

Friendly advice about walking animations. You might want to make the arms move as well, because otherwise, it'll look very unnatural. That and, as TheDoctor said, the whole thing could use a lot of work and improvement.

If anything, you might want to start with a single sprite rotation, ask for as much feedback as you can to make it better, and then you move on to making the rest of the animations. That way you can learn a bit more about the basics of spriting characters in the SRB2 sprite style, before you make an entire character.

Remember, you wouldn't want to rush it, if you want your characters to be in a good sprite quality.

Alright. Can do. Anyways I finished old Emerl, I know it wouldn't make submissions, but if you want, pm me nicely and I will let you try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back