Sonic 4: Episode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Jet Boosters apparently make a 3-act zone 1-act. (AKA game logic deal w/ it)

Okay, how in the fuck does "game logic" mean "we were too lazy to make full zones of each act or even original acts at all, so we took one act from each zone and made it slightly harder"? That's not "game logic". That's just being lazy, as one would expect from SEGA.

Oh, and by the way: Episode Metal does not need S4E1; it only needs you to own it. In other words, it uses NOTHING from Episode 1, as all the assets are in Episode 2. Episode 1 is just a "key" to unlock it. So yeah, it's not even a "lock -on" thing.

Considering that Episode Metal is a free bonus, I don't really see the point in complaining about it. Yeah, SEGA could have gave us new zones but I'm sure something like that wouldn't be given away for free. If it was a $5 expansion, I would totally understand the complaints toward it.

Considering that Episode Metal is a free bonus, I don't really see the point in complaining about it. Yeah, SEGA could have gave us new zones but I'm sure something like that wouldn't be given away for free. If it was a $5 expansion, I would totally understand the complaints toward it.

>Free
>Requires an entirely different, $15 (at launch) game to unlock
>Owning said game makes Episode Metal mostly pointless because it has almost the same level design

Uh huh.

edit: 1919th post, despite that being pretty unremarkable

Last edited:
Ugh, not here too. A member from SSMB kept bringing up dumb points about it not being free which most members simply disagreed on and threw out the argument for being incredibly stupid.
>Owning said game makes Episode Metal mostly pointless because it has almost the same level design
Not really, I've been watching commentaries of Episode Metal with the player comparing it to a brand new experience. It isn't just an added spike here and there, the levels have been heavily retooled. Metal Sonic also plays slightly different than Sonic by being heavier.

Oh, and I think you get to play with passable physics in Episode Metal too.

Last edited:
Think of it this way. It's Sonic, therefore it's our right as loyal fans to complain!

Speaking of which, even though I don't have ep1 nor have I ever played it, I don't consider ep2 to be all that great. Fun, just not BRILLIANT

Last edited:
Think of it this way. It's Sonic, therefore it's our right as loyal fans to complain!

There's a major difference between legitimate complaints and what the vast majority of the Sonic "Fanbase" does. I'm not sure if you remember, but back when Sonic 4, Episode 1 was announced, people complained not only by the fact that in the trailer, Sonic had no running animation, but also for the fact that he simply was Modern Sonic instead of Classic Sonic, completely ignoring the fact that for some unexplained reason, Sonic became Modern Sonic in Sonic Adventure 2, just because the game was named Sonic 4.

Now, I would like to say that Sonic 4, Episode 2 isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, I've played it both in single player and co-op and I would like to say that I do think that I did get my money's worth with buying this game. Now is it the best Sonic game in the franchise? No, not really, since it does have some problems, notably the lack of difficulty through a first run. I mean the only trouble I had was Special Stage 7, which wasn't really challenging, just more cheap, because the game outright made it so that you had to rely on the AI to collect the bonus rings if you didn't have enough(470+) rings before you hit the second checkpoint. As for the bosses, I don't feel that they are dragged out at all, if you're finding their length a problem, just use Super Sonic, which by the way does double damage to any enemy, including bosses(Except for Metal Sonic in Sky Fortress Act 1, but then again you're not directly attacking him).

Bottomless pits and auto-running are fine in 3D games because of the enhanced movement and camera position, but in 2D games they're just NO GOOD.

I would like to point out that bottomless pits have been a staple of the Platforming Genre since the first Super Mario Brothers and have appeared so far in every 2D Platformer(One was at the end of Sonic CD) within the Sonic Series.

Last edited:
Ugh, not here too. A member from SSMB kept bringing up dumb points about it not being free which most members simply disagreed on and threw out the argument for being incredibly stupid.

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only one who brought that up over there, and I feel pretty offended that you would call it incredibly stupid and dumb when there were some who agreed with me.

There's nothing free about Episode Metal. There's nothing "lock-on" about it either, all the assets are in Episode II's download, and it's just blocked off until you shell out money for a $10 dollar unlock key... and that's incredibly stupid considering you already payed $15 for the full game.

Last edited:
You sound like the type of person that would complain about Valve's TF2 promotional items, honestly.

How dare they try to give a small bonus to those that actually fucking support them.

I'd imagine if they gave Episode METAL more than four acts they'd get their heads chopped off by more merciless fans complaining that they were missing out on a whole new game by not buying both episodes.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only one who brought that up over there, and I feel pretty offended that you would call it incredibly stupid and dumb when there were some who agreed with me.

There's nothing free about Episode Metal. There's nothing "lock-on" about it either, all the assets are in Episode II's download, and it's just blocked off until you shell out money for a $10 dollar unlock key... and that's incredibly stupid considering you already payed $15 for the full game.

That would be 10 dollars at the recently lowered price, back before then, it was 15 dollars. I agree that Episode Metal is not free, but I think what Ken was saying in his interview was that it wasn't going to be offered as some premium DLC, as in you have to purchase not only Episode 1 and 2(which is now 25 dollars), but you have to pay an extra 5-10 dollars for the DLC which unlocks Episode Metal. Now in my opinion, I'd rather get a little four level game for simply buying both parts of the same game, rather than buying both parts of the same game and then having to go and buy the Day One DLC for 10 dollars extra.

Personally, all I was expecting from episode Metal was "Episode 1: now with physics!...and technically no green eyes!" which is why it bugs me that they only did the first acts.

Then again, I can't say I was expecting them to do anything at all for those who got both episodes anyway, so I guess it's not really a big deal.

all the assets are in Episode II's download, and it's just blocked off until you shell out money for a $10 dollar unlock key... and that's incredibly stupid considering you already payed $15 for the full game.

Keep in mind most of those assets are just copy-pasted from episode one. If episode Metal DIDN'T need episode 1 to access they would essentially be giving you about 1/4 of episode 1 for nothing(edited to some extent, but you get the idea). Not to mention the fact that the "$10 key" also just so happens to be the game most of it was copy-pasted from.

Last edited:
vI6ZM.jpg

Woah, talk about deja-vu! Remember when we first thought Sonic Generations was coming to Steam?

Anyway, what this means is that a patch for Episode 2 is being tested. I think they might fix resolution problems, but IDK.

Maybe they'll make it a less shitty console port and give me anti-aliasing... pffffttchhBAHAHA couldn't keep a straight face.

犬夜叉;726000 said:
You sound like the type of person that would complain about Valve's TF2 promotional items, honestly.

How dare they try to give a small bonus to those that actually fucking support them.

I'd imagine if they gave Episode METAL more than four acts they'd get their heads chopped off by more merciless fans complaining that they were missing out on a whole new game by not buying both episodes.
I'm with Inuyasha on this one. It's just a free little bonus episode, and it so totally IS reminiscent of Lock-on, while factoring in the limitations of the platforms it's distributed on.

I just don't see how ANYONE can feel ripped off about that.

Last edited:
It's the Sonic Fan Base. We complain about every little thing.

I managed to get my hands on the game a few days ago. The controls were okay, but the entire time it felt as if Sonic was being held back. There would be parts where I'd just hold forward and he'd gain momentum, but when trying to go the opposite direction it just felt a bit too tough to do so. I guess that would have to do with the new physics and all, but it's just this part that I really didn't enjoy. The other part I absolutely hated was the music. Oh my god that horrible music. I'm sure if they would have put more time on the tracks the game itself might have looked better. The levels themselves were okay I guess. The team-moves were kind of cool, and I enjoyed seeing some of the enemies from past games even though they should have made newer ones. All in all I'd say the game was okay. It could use a lot of work though. I hope that if they ever make Episode 3, that they at least work on the music(I mean seriously...please. Oh and make some tweaks with the physics please :<).

It wasn't me, it was the members. I never partook in the conversation. It actually was brought up a couple times so it doesn't necessarily have to be you who I'm talking about. I'm sorry if you were offended by the post.
It's the Sonic Fan Base. We complain about every little thing.
Ha ha.

So did anyone download the Android version? I'm still wondering what those two exclusive levels were.

犬夜叉;726000 said:
It's not like everyone wants to buy a shitty game for an addition to another game.

It's almost a good thing when the worst argument thing for a Sonic game is something not being free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back