Electronic Addictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
I think this thread will be ironic and contradictory for a couple of reasons. Also, there will be some whining, and the text will be long. Here goes nothing.

I currently have what I consider to be an unhealthy addiction to electronic media, specifically to the internet and to videogames. I won't get into too much detail, but it's been a bit of a problem. I suspect that I'm somehow predisposed to this sort of thing, as I've always been strongly attached to videogames, even before receiving a Genesis system when I was young. Although I don't play games that often anymore, I more than make up for it in the time spent online. Near instantaneous internet usage at my college, coupled with the fact that I must do a lot of my work using online resources, makes it difficult to stay focused and away from leisurely sites (especially TVTropes and various gaming and animation wikias).

I do think that this addiction, at least in part, may have caused some of the relative unease I have around people in real life and my slight lack of social graces. Perhaps socialization, in turn, is a need that I find continuously unfulfilled and thus supplemented by more internet usage, which then causes a greater lack of social skills which then causes... You get the picture. Anyway, I've suspected that both electron addiction and a lack of social skills may have led to some of my other problems, which include rapid distraction, depression, anxiety or indifference around most people, sleep issues, and others.

Until college I never really thought that electronic addiction was a problem that needed confronting. I was solitary for the most part and had pretty superficial friendships, but academically I was doing fine, so perhaps my parents didn't feel completely compelled to intervene. However, my internet use has increased since living away from home while attending college, to the point where it actually has started to affect school work and render my social life more stagnant than before. But six months ago, after a particularly grueling all-nigher internet session, I decided to try to do something about it.

I first tried an AA-style "going-cold-turkey" approach, eliminating recreational computer and television use altogether, instead reading from books or newspapers, riding my bike, drawing, or developing other talents. That approach actually worked for two weeks, which is a huge accomplishment for me, and I've been doing it on-and-off for about a week at a time since. It's worked relatively well for me, but it's still been sort of hard. There are things online that I really enjoy and find difficult to give up. Episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on YouTube would be one of them, as well as engaging in some of the discussions here. So recently I've tried to limit my internet usage to an hour a day, one-and-a-half hours on Saturdays to allow for complete MST3K viewings. That approach has been less successful, as it's hard for me to stop once my time has be used up.

It was kind of awkward writing this. I know this forum isn't a blog to disclose personal issues and ticks, and I'm not sure how exactly I wish people would respond, if at all. I don't want pity, because ultimately the problem is due to my lack of self-control. I guess if any of you have done through something similar and found a method of control that works for you, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Otherwise, anything goes, I guess.

Also, I want to make clear that this thread isn't meant to be an insult to any of you who do use electronics a lot, either out of necessity or for fun. Like I said, this thread, or at least this post, is meant to be personal, which is why I'm not sure it's appropriate here.

Whatever. Here goes nothing.

Last edited:
Hey, great post!

I'm sure all of us have dealt with this at one level or another. Here are some techniques that I found useful, especially while I was in college.

*) Don't own a smartphone. Get the cheapest one you can find and don't get a plan with text messaging. Calls only.

*) You mentioned bicycling - find new areas in town or nearby wilderness trails to explore. Go to even the oddest of areas. Bring your camera!

*) Kind of tying in to the bike thing...explore different establishments. Make it a ritual to go to a karaoke night once a week, or try out a new restaurant. Check the local event calendar for both the college and the nearby town for other things.

*) Since MST3K is all reruns, find a way to download them all ahead of time and convert them to another medium that won't require sitting at a computer, such as DVD. I'm sure there is...*ahem*... someplace online you can download all of them in one fell swoop.

The most difficult part to me is since a lot of your friends at college probably use the Internet a lot to stay in touch, it's difficult to give up AIM/Facebook since you also want them to be able to contact you. Really don't have an answer for this one, you just kinda deal with it, or try to force them to call your phone. This was prehaps the biggest draw to spending lots of time on the computer, or constantly checking it every few minutes.

We met interesting topics.

I think this addiction is not caused by a screen, allowing you to see things virtual. The cause is nothing other than the Internet.
I can assure that a computer without the Internet would not cause addiction. This new "world view" begins when you buy a box internet / phone / TV.

... the worldview of which I speak, it is to remain "plugged in" to social networks. Facebook or even SRB2 MB, tell me honestly how many times you go over to see what's new ? Are you answered? When you start the browser, what's the first thing you do? You go to a social network, I am right?

In my case, I also have this problem. This is due to this new function of machines. A function that allows to interact without knowing who we are talking about, this function that allows you to talk virtually, this function is not unique to these machines. The excessive technology may be too bad.

I think one important thing is to not be in the mindset of "how can I spend less time on the internet?". Instead, keep your thoughts on "What do I want to spend my time on/accomplish rather than using all my time on the internet?", and then strive for that goal.

It has helped me quite a bit. For me, that goal was to improve at piano and drawing (mostly piano). Also, keep in mind that your goal doesn't have to be a hobby. It can be "I want to be more open to people" or "I want to spend my time improving myself in X or Y". Just keep your goal at the forefront of your mind at all times, and never forget why it is that you're trying to change.

Last edited:
Haha, I know what you mean there. I definitely feel addicted to using the Internet, it's gotten so bad that I'm just content to browse the same three forums repeatedly even when there aren't any new posts.

I find that simply quitting cold-turkey doesn't work too well for me, unfortunately, because I need something to fill the void; and I haven't quite found anything that can effectively do so yet. I've tried limiting myself, and it works for about a week, and then one day I end up saying "oh a little more time won't hurt" and next thing I know I'm back where I started.

I suppose I just need to find a normal, non-digital hobby that I can really get interested in, but I'm not really sure where to start looking.

By Simsmagic
I suppose I just need to find a normal, non-digital hobby that I can really get interested in, but I'm not really sure where to start looking.
It's kind of small drugs. To stop it, you should never start, or get lucky. We started, and it'll be tough. Once we know the social functions of the Internet, we still want the computer to watch what happens.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys. I really do appreciate it.

I've made plans to go out and explore the town where I'm at and do different things. The small-ish size of it makes it fantastic in this regard because there's no place I can't reach without biking for a half-hour or so (I have a car, but it's kind of inconvenient to reach and I'd like to drive it as little as possible). Sudden urges to spend hours on the internet vanquish these plans two time out of three, but the one in three times they follow through has been worth it.

I do think its good to have other goals too, and I'm glad I at least have other hobbies to base them off of.

It's kind of funny, but I think the cold-turkey approach has worked better for me than the time regulation approach. I think this is because once I get on the internet, it's difficult to stop. That's why I personally dislike that so much of my school requires being online, but hey, no plan is perfect.

Simsmagic said:

I'd hate to sound like a broken record, but have you tried some sort of physical activity? I feel that biking is the best thing that ever happened to me. Much like the internet, it delivers near-immediate satisfaction, which is fantastic for an impulsive and impatient fellow such as I, while it opens one up to new, physical opportunities.

I find it interesting that Ultimate cited music and drawing as his goals / hobbies. I'd love to learn how to play an instrument one day (most likely acoustic guitar), but currently I feel like I haven't the discipline needed to learn that skill. The same applies for drawing too, to a limited degree. Anyway, I hope you can find that hobby.

I think I'm gonna try to steer clear of this place for at least a couple of weeks. See y'all.

I kind of have the same problem, and there's this thing you guys are talking about that helps, but I can't really understand it, so:
What the fork is a "cold-turkey"?
I'm pretty sure it's not the "eatable" kind... Or, if you take a turkey, put it in a freezer, and eat it, it works like an anti electronic drug, making you stay off computers...!...
Ohwait. No. Just no.

I don't think anyone should answer your question before you've tried to search for it with Google.

I don't think anyone should answer your question before you've tried to search for it with Google.
Who said I didn't? It's either this:
coldturkey.jpg

Or that:

coldturkey2.jpg

Not helping much.

How about searching for websites instead of images. I dunno, maybe that would actually make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_turkey
well that was easy

I'd hate to sound like a broken record, but have you tried some sort of physical activity? I feel that biking is the best thing that ever happened to me. Much like the internet, it delivers near-immediate satisfaction, which is fantastic for an impulsive and impatient fellow such as I, while it opens one up to new, physical opportunities.

Well, kind of. I don't have a bike, but I have been thinking about just taking up walking around the neighborhood. It's easy to navigate and fairly safe, so it could probably be done. The problem is that I don't tend make commitments like that easily, it's sort of like the opposite of the "limiting" that I try earlier: I do it once for a couple of days and I say "hey this isn't too bad I could do this." Then one day I just say "eh, I don't really want to. I'll do it later." Then next thing I know I haven't done it in weeks. I suppose the only thing I can say about that is to do it even if I really don't want to.

I find it interesting that Ultimate cited music and drawing as his goals / hobbies. I'd love to learn how to play an instrument one day (most likely acoustic guitar), but currently I feel like I haven't the discipline needed to learn that skill. The same applies for drawing too, to a limited degree. Anyway, I hope you can find that hobby.

I don't really have the patience to play an instrument or put a serious effort into drawing outside of doodling. Hell, the only reason I was able to make levels for a time was because I was at school and there was nothing better to do. Maybe I'll put more effort into the walking thing I mentioned earlier, and we'll see how that goes.

Ya know, hearing music isn't part of electronic addictions. MP3 players may be, but if its only purpose is to play music, then it's not really an electronic addiction.

Ya got a bike? Good. Then put your MP3 Player on, and start hearing music while riding. I'll bet ya 50 cents that it makes your rides more enjoyable, albeit for a cost of reduced awareness and not being able to hear outside sounds, but if you are riding in long, straight and usually calm roads, you should have no problem.

EDIT: As for drawing stuff, it's definitively a very good thing to do when you're inside. I mean, sometimes I ditch my PC just so I can finish my drawings, and if you take your heart into the drawings, it'll take you a sweet ride of about a day or two before finishing a drawing.

Last edited:
Ya got a bike? Good. Then put your MP3 Player on, and start hearing music while riding. I'll bet ya 50 cents that it makes your rides more enjoyable, albeit for a cost of reduced awareness and not being able to hear outside sounds, but if you are riding in long, straight and usually calm roads, you should have no problem.

Until he falls off the bike and breaks the shit out of the MP3 player ^.-

Well, I've never had this problem (Or at least, not that I remember of) I really liked being always pretty extrovertive.

However, I don't quite get what you're trying to accomplish here, leave the PC or start going out with friends? Because I've found internet quite useful for planning/going to parties, a great example of it was last Saturday. In wich I woke up as usual, and just as I checked my mail, there it was, a message from my friend Kelly confirming if we'd go to her party, I honestly had no idea there was going to be a party that day, neither I knew where it was, thanks to Facebook's free Chat system, I mannaged to get the location and go there, also, it's not the first time this' happened to me.

What I really think you ought to do though is look for some sort of offline meetup. I think the issue a lot of geeks face is that the folks they work with on a daily basis (whether at school, a job, etc.) aren't really ones that are easy to relate with in terms of interests, hobbies, etc.

I have a very good example which can illustrate what I'm referring to here. It might be biased since I'm a part of the culture I am describing, but hey.

I know you're probably not a furry, but chances are, you know enough about the furry culture that you are aware of its very specialized interests. Retro gaming, electronic music, classic Disney movies, general anthropomorphism, etc. The fandom is also comprised of more sexual orientations than you can shake a stick at. Furries are ranked the geekiest according to The Geek Hierarchy. They pretty much define 'geek'.

Obviously, living a sheltered life with bizarre hobbies and interests - hiding from real life folks just because you don't share a common interest - is not the way to be. That's why events like furmeets exist. Furries get together in real life, watch movies, go to places like science museums, and generally geek out. It's an awesome opportunity to get social without sacrificing your hobbies.

Again, since I don't think you're furry, you might want to look for anime, sci-fi, DnD, or trading card game conventions or get-togethers. I think you'd be surprised how social some geeks can be. I once went inside a local card shop and observed a Magic: the Gathering card game tournament going on in there. The folks there conversed quite a bit. It was as though they were on IRC or similar, except in real life.

Edit: Just occurred to me that I might have misinterpreted this topic. Oh well.

Last edited:
I approve of this topic.

As a person that spends up to 16 hours or more on the computer in a day, I know that I have a rather big problem. Not with the computer itself, I can just as easily substitute the computer with something else to do, and I frequently do (I meet up with my friends a lot, I cycle around everywhere as well), so long as it doesn't require much effort. I am finding it extremely hard to do my homework because it's just above me to do, I am always finding excuses not to do it. Most of the time I say to myself I am exhausted and I need my sleep, and I do, because otherwise I am tired at school. I think I am just not facing the facts that I need to spend less time doing my own thing, the computer time is the biggest one here, and actually focus on my schoolwork, as it is becoming a huge problem now.

I'll agree that I have a slight computer addiction, though not as much as anyone at home describes it to be. For instance, I have a tough time going to sleep. I usually wake up at 5 or 6 AM unless it's on a weekday, in which then I won't wake up until around 7AM. I'll agree with Callum too, I always skip homework for video games or internet lurking. Right now for instance, I have to write an essay for the book Night, and now my best option is to turn it in late instead of cramming a crappy essay on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back