Suggestions

I have got this script and i do agree that it's annoying. Thats why propose a new sort of sfx for Running, Not for walking
That doesn't change the opinion it's annoying, will conflict with characters that aren't supposed to play those sounds (Shadow, Metal Sonic), will almost definitely conflict with 2.2's "use-as-many-frames-as-you-want" animation system, and won't work for added custom textures in WADs.

My main problem with special stages is the fact that they seem a bit tough when it comes to getting a good grade. I always get F rank when I complete the stage. What helps me get a good grade? Should I collect everything in the map? Should I focus on getting the fastest time?

The best grade I've gotten was a D. I was never good at NiGHTS stages though.

I'd also like to suggest shortening Metal Sonic's pinball sequence when he's in his pinch phase and possibly make his orbs a tad bit slower. He ricochets off the electric fences way too much in my opinion. It makes getting the Record Attack Emblem a pain because you're basically waiting for his zooming spree to end and god knows how long he's going to keep trying to ram you. As for his special orb attack, the projectiles are very tough to dodge and you are almost guaranteed to get hit by one of them. The main problem is the attack where he shoots 5 mini-orbs at once.

Oh, and one last thing regarding ERZ3. I think the electric fence in the arena should be solid.

Last edited:
My main problem with special stages is the fact that they seem a bit tough when it comes to getting a good grade. I always get F rank when I complete the stage. What helps me get a good grade? Should I collect everything in the map? Should I focus on getting the fastest time?

The best grade I've gotten was a D. I was never good at NiGHTS stages though.

You're supposed to circle around the stage at least twice. All the spheres and rings respawn every lap.

Speaking of which, the game shouldn't show your grade in Single Player, only in NIGHTS Mode. It's impossible to get a good score in those stages when your only goal is getting the Chaos Emerald, so there's no point in making the grade visible.

Items respawn when you pass the goal in NiGHTS mode, so you want to try going as many laps as you can once you have the emerald. It's pretty tricky for the later levels, but worth it. Just make sure you have enough time, if not try and snag whatever you can before heading back to the goal.

EDIT: Whoops, Ninja'd

Speaking of which, the game shouldn't show your grade in Single Player, only in NIGHTS Mode. It's impossible to get a good score in those stages when your only goal is getting the Chaos Emerald, so there's no point in making the grade visible.

I agree for different reasons. The grade system is irrelevant in the SP campaign. I absolutely think that the grade should not be displayed in the normal campaign. The goal behind the special stages in the SP campaign is not score, but instead it is, as you said, getting a chaos emerald. Someone who gets the chaos emerald but does not get the high score should not feel penalized for doing so (Anything less than an A would do this). Anyone who dislikes the special stages will be annoyed at the reminder (If they don't get a rank to any capacity, they won't feel as though they are being pressured into doing well in any of the stages).

That said, the game should absolutely keep track of your best record in the normal campaign for NiGHTS mode. If you do well enough in the campaign to get an A or better, you should not be penalized and forced to repeat that just because you were in the campaign.

A couple suggestions to expand upon unlockables. I think ConditionSets are awesome and help modders do more interesting stuff with the actual unlocking process, but you can't really do much with what you actually unlock beyond vanilla. 1-3 are really just ideas; anything to let the player mess with the Unlockables more, even just a little bit, would be fine in my book. I just want to do more than warps and level selects...

1.) The ability to set a command/cvar via an unlockable, including ones made via Lua. Maybe also have the option to make them only accessible once they are unlocked, giving a "You haven't earned this yet." message. (Leave it optional however, to set up stuff like how "setrings" needs to be unlocked, but "soundtest" doesn't)

2.) Unlockable images. A simple full-screen popup like Final Demo's concept art unlockables would be enough.

3.) Customizable Pandora's Box menu, allowing one to reorganize it or add new options. Combined with 1, one could make more cheats and such. (Even better would be to have as many sub-menus as someone would like, but I don't know how possible that would be.)

4.) Minor pet peeve that doesn't expand upon unlockables but I might as well mention it; only show the "NiGHTS Mode" and "Record Attack" options as question marks if they can be unlocked at all. "NiGHTS Mode" in particular is a bit irritating if someone wants to make non-NiGHTS special stages.

EDIT: 5.) Give modders the option to make Ultimate mode an unlockable. You can already make Ultimate mode part of a condition set, so I don't see any reason why someone doing that wouldn't also want to add it as an unlock too.

Last edited:
Could y'all give the chaos emeralds a brighter contrast like adding white shades on them.

8dca891.png

Last edited:
I really would like to see the following in Lua:

1. A Lua hook for the intermission screen, so scripts can play around with it and catch tics in it, or even do a fancy Sonic 3 style results screen.
  2. A way to add custom variables that hold Strings instead of booleans and numbers.
  3. The ability to write customized save data, or at least a single location it can read and write variables from to allow mod makers to do custom variables, or make a server be able to save permissions of players.
  4. A better (and non-hacky) way to detect the viewpoint of a player in a server (Are they spectating someone?) And the potential to edit it, actively prevent a player from doing it, or to direct it at an alien object (perhaps a crawla)
  5. A Screen() hook, that can alter the screen just before it's rendered (Warp it, wiggle it, shake it, maybe even rotate it)

The ability to write customized save data, or at least a single location it can read and write variables from to allow mod makers to do custom variables, or make a server be able to save permissions of players.
See the "input/output" mod. It has some kinks to work out (network-related), I think, but I think it's highly considered for 2.2, considering "until I/O becomes a vanilla feature in 2.2" in the mod description.

But to add on to input/output, I would like to see a feature for it where each single-player save game can have a file of its own, which would then also be deleted if the save game was deleted in-game, in order to allow lots of "missions" (like the stars in Super Mario 64, as an example) per level in a save.

Analog control with a controller is absolute bliss. The only problem is that the camera is complete crap. Consider allowing someone to add rotate cam L/R to an axis.

Analog control with a controller is absolute bliss.
As someone who primarily plays Sonic Robo Blast 2 with a DualShock 4 (emulated as an XBox controller), I'd like to say I actually prefer playing without it (despite playing with it in pretty much every version of SRB2 pre-2.1).
Just make sure to set the left stick to forwards/backwards and strafing, and the right stick's horizontal axis to turning. I also like setting the vertical axis to rotating the camera up and down (and setting the right stick pressed button to resetting the camera vertically), but that's rarely really useful.

TL;DR: Non-analog controls are fine for me with a controller.

Last edited:
As someone who primarily plays Sonic Robo Blast 2 with a DualShock 4 (emulated as an XBox controller), I'd like to say I actually prefer playing without it (despite playing with it in pretty much every version of SRB2 pre-2.1).
Just make sure to set the left stick to forwards/backwards and strafing, and the right stick's horizontal axis to turning. I also like setting the vertical axis to rotating the camera up and down (and setting the right stick pressed button to resetting the camera vertically), but that's rarely really useful.

TL;DR: Non-analog controls are fine for me with a controller.

Meh, I guess I just like it more because it's more like traditional 3D controls, like Super Mario 64. The second I started mapping stuff to my off-brand PS3 controller and turning on analog mode I felt like it was soooooo much more fun. But back on topic...

Perhaps you could have the camera centered on the boss with analog mode on? This might be to hard, though. Idk, I never tried my hand at SRB2 modding yet.

The analog mode camera in general is really bad.
It takes way too much time to rotate it around the player, and I feel like it should directly go back behind you if the player starts running towards it. It's pretty much the main reason I don't use analog.

This might have already been talked about here and I remember talking about it in IRC some days ago; but it would be nice to have a hitbox height/radius option for characters in their S_SKIN or whatever. Not every character has Sonic's size after all.

Let Super Sonic grab flags. Considering how much of a pain in the ass it is to get all the emeralds, and people can still drain your rings, I think you can get away with this. It's not very fun finally turning super in CTF, only to basically be glued to your base to guard your flag, because that's all you're good for at that time.

Let Super Sonic grab flags.
I don't think they'd change that much for vanilla non-modded SRB2 for 2.1.15 (if that's still a thing that'll happen), and super forms have been confirmed to be removed from Match and so on for 2.2. (At least Match, and I don't see why not for the rest of the non-co-op online game-types.)

I also want to ask, if has have better and easily way to host server in SRB2? Or maybe add a way for 2.2? Because now, It's very difficult to me to host one...

I also want to ask, if has have better and easily way to host server in SRB2? Or maybe add a way for 2.2? Because now, It's very difficult to me to host one...
If you're talking about the net-code, I think it has been confirmed to not be better than in 2.1. Perhaps it might be very slightly better due to changes in how the game works, but perhaps also slightly worse. Just don't expect online play to be fixed up completely.
If you're talking about making it so people can join you in the first place, there is (probably) nothing the developers can do about that (at least not which doesn't involve way more work than what it's worth for, probably will cost Sonic Team Junior money, and definitely will increase latency lag more than what it's like at the moment, thus causing more net issues).

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back