It's that error again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demi

Yeah, if this has been answered and I haven't found it, my apologies.
Whenever I try to run the game, it gives an error saying SRB2.SRB is corrupt or has been modified, I coulden't modified it because I just got it and if it was corrupt everyone would have had this error, or perhaps they do and have a diffrent version to fix it?... Uhh...
anyway if you can help it would be great.

Only ever download SRB2 from the srb2.org site, or one of the mirrors listed. As long as you download from there, the only reason it would have been modified is because you opened it in a WAD editor and edited it.

I did download it from the site and I don't even have a wad editor right now. Obviously I didn't change anything in it.

Nope, still nothing, I also tried an older version and it worked, but I'd rather go for the new version [woulden't you?].

This is a complete stab in the dark, but: is your computer using a non-English locale? I noticed the icons in your folder window are right-aligned. I don't know that SRB2 in particular has any problems with non-English locales, but I've known it to cause strange problems in other apps.

It does, Hebrew, but like I said, older versions work perfectly.
More side notes: I tried using JTE with it, but it does nothing new to the game and crashes randomly.

Demi said:
I tried an older version and it worked.
That means you wrote it on top of your shiny new version. Keep different versions in different folders so it doesn't say the SRB2.srb is corrupted or modified. There's been a different IWAD every time a new version was released, so...

Just keep different versions separate and you'll be fine. (Modifications like SRB2JTE and SRB2Riders do not need a separate folder for each, though.)

I ment I actually tried the older version as a seperate program, in a seperate folder.
I didn't merge them at all, heck I didn't touch any of their files since I unzipped them [if you want to call it installed, sure].

Do this:

*) Run FinalDemo1094.exe

*) In the dialog box that pops up, type in:

C:\srb2test

and press ENTER

*) The files will extract and the dialog will disappear.

*) Go to Start/Run...

*) Type in CMD and press enter

*) A black box will appear. Type in:

cd\srb2test
srb2win

*) If the game still doesn't work I am stumped.

Nope, nothing, the last thing I can think of and I was hoping it wasn't "it" is that it's my hard drive [which it must be].
You see, my computer's hard drive was possessed by an evil demon, and it creates CRC errors randomly for everything, anything that gets them never extracts or is installed, in other words, it just says SRB2.SRB is corrupt but it isn't, I asked for another answer here hoping it wasn't because of my hard drive, but I guess not, sorry.

Something must be getting in the way. Make sure you completely redownload the install executable and THEN install.

If not, check the virus status on your computer. You may have a virus that is infecting the srb2.srb file and/or a virus scanner is altering it whenever it is read.

Lastly, make sure your harddrive is properly defragmented and junk as a last resort. Try tunning CHKDSK for errors on your harddrive - maybe you have some bad sectors or messed up partitions. Try googling it if you have no clue what CHKDSK is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back