• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Race Project - 2D Circuit [r_2DCircuit.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That, and you completely ignore 2D's strength: The ability to do scenery without worrying about the player crawling over it and breaking the level. I see none of that here, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that you haven't gotten to that yet.

Kirblord23 said:
The focus of this is not detail and decoration(As many claim 2D is all about), but gameplay and utilizing separate characters' abilities.

:3

Anyway, I fully agree with D00D.

Frankly, this sounds like a terrible idea. Having separate paths for all 3 characters makes it nigh impossible to balance between them, not to mention 2D mode's horrible physics and even MORE Thokfest qualities. That, and you completely ignore 2D's strength: The ability to do scenery without worrying about the player crawling over it and breaking the level. I see none of that here, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that you haven't gotten to that yet.

Frankly, I see NO reason to make individual paths for the 3 character types a good idea at all, as it just takes away something from race; it's like two players are on two completely different levels. It's not like you can't NOT put the same characters on the same plane. It's probably possible to balance them if you try to nerf Sonic's abilities here and there with obstacles to give Tails & Knux something against Thokfests. Though, given how Sonic is supposed to be THE fastest and has the ability to reach top speed with a double jump, it would be quite difficult, multi-plane or not.

I still wish SRB2 Riders could be ported...

We all want SRB2 Riders ported. ;__; It was so amazing

I MIGHT get to decoration if I maintain the attention span for this project, and that will probably be made into a separate version of this. That and I'm just not too good with decoration to be assed the moment >_>

The other reason I attempted this was because it was different from a lot of other stuff, and I don't see a lot of 2D around here(2D mode is probably my favorite mode in SRB2). So I felt compelled to try and introduce something different. Plus, this'll help others work on their skills as various characters. Not to mention >_> I'm not sure how to make a map that could be balanced for all three characters.

Still, can't please 'em all, huh?

Last edited:
We all want SRB2 Riders ported. ;__; It was so amazing

I MIGHT get to decoration if I maintain the attention span for this project, and that will probably be made into a separate version of this. That and I'm just not too good with decoration to be assed the moment >_>

The other reason I attempted this was because it was different from a lot of other stuff, and I don't see a lot of 2D around here(2D mode is probably my favorite mode in SRB2). So I felt compelled to try and introduce something different. Plus, this'll help others work on their skills as various characters. Not to mention >_> I'm not sure how to make a map that could be balanced for all three characters.

Still, can't please 'em all, huh?

More like, "One of the hardest things in the world is to please D00D, Huh?"
Joke.
Anyway, I agree with you 120%.
I haven't started work on Knuckle's path yet because I'm slow, and homework...

but I'm going to do it. And another thing... Tails's path is harder than Sonic's, and I think it should be a little vise versa since Tails is slower.
But maybe put in some blocks so tails can't spindash-fly easily.

I'm almost finishing. You must trust me! I'm on the way! I added flying challenges to Tails players, cause I'm an expert on it. I improved a little that lake in Sonic's path, I added a waterfall to it. I hope you like but it isn't finished yet, just a little bit more.
To make it difficult for Tails's players, I added two hazards. If the player tries to spindash-fly, he/she will fall or face a lot of spikes.
And Chaotic Chao: Knuckles's, not Knuckle's.

Last edited:
I'm almost finishing. You must trust me! I'm on the way! I added flying challenges to Tails players, cause I'm an expert on it. I improved a little that lake in Sonic's path, I added a waterfall to it. I hope you like but it isn't finished yet, just a little bit more.
To make it difficult for Tails's players, I added two hazards. If the player tries to spindash-fly, he/she will fall or face a lot of spikes.
And Chaotic Chao: Knuckles's, not Knuckle's.

Knuckles', not Knuckles's.

Glad to see you're making progress!

Knuckles', not Knuckles's.
"Knuckles'" implies that there's more than one, so no, it's not correct.

I still can't imagine balancing out paths for different characters, considering their huge differences -- it's practically impossible.
And what if I'm sent on the Knuckles path when I just don't want to be him? Considering the fact that the players are forced on certain paths, there's the element of luck when it comes to winning.

I still can't imagine balancing out paths for different characters, considering their huge differences -- it's practically impossible.
And what if I'm sent on the Knuckles path when I just don't want to be him? Considering the fact that the players are forced on certain paths, there's the element of luck when it comes to winning.

You can't always get what you want. Deal with it.

Way to miss the entire point of constructive criticism and flat-out ignore it.

Unless you can somehow make a good 2D map where each player gets their own character-specific path, without it being broken I'd be impressed. But it's practically impossible and I can't imagine that being done. Don't you think people haven't done this yet for a reason?
I don't think I'm asking for much when all I want is a balanced race course.

Unless you can somehow make a good 2D map where each player gets their own character-specific path, without it being broken I'd be impressed. But it's practically impossible and I can't imagine that being done. Don't you think people haven't done this yet for a reason?
I don't think I'm asking for much when all I want is a balanced race course.
There is nothing in this world that can't ever be fixed. Everything that's wrong has a way to be fixed. In progress we will find a way. Calm down. There is no impossible. If you can't imagine if it can be done, your imagination may be too much limited. Let it fly. Don't be afraid. Everything will be ok. All you want is a balanced course? Choose a good skin to race and good luck.

Kirblord, I was thinking on not having only Sonic, Tails or Knux paths, but Speed, Fly and Power paths, because some players will want to use extra skins, and depending on their ability, it is good to do it. Please think about that.

Last edited:

Good phrase, but the problem is: SRB2 isn't the real life.
The worst thing in race a game is to force the player to be a character that he doesn't have any practice or afinity with it, you have to allow the player to choose his char.
But I have an idea, the maps doesn't need to be 100% in 2D, make the first part in 3D, in a closed room with three teleporters: one for tails path, one for knuckles path and one for sonic path, then, when the player go to the teleporter, he enter in the selected path(ex: knux path) in 2D and run as well.

Good phrase, but the problem is: SRB2 isn't the real life.
The worst thing in race a game is to force the player to be a character that he doesn't have any practice or afinity with it, you have to allow the player to choose his char.
But I have an idea, the maps doesn't need to be 100% in 2D, make the first part in 3D, in a closed room with three teleporters: one for tails path, one for knuckles path and one for sonic path, then, when the player go to the teleporter, he enter in the selected path(ex: knux path) in 2D and run as well.
PHCC, please wait. We won't force the player to cgo with a character he/she doesn't want! We will allow changing, but when already racing, he/she won't be able to change anymore unless the race starts again! Did you pull this race forceskin thing from the thin air? Hang on!

Kirblord23 said:
The majority of players will wind up on Tails' or Knuckles' route by percentage theories.

Ok, sorry if I *misunderstood* this Kim, but with this message up there, the only thing that I can understand here is that he'll put the players in their paths randomly.

Both Knuckles' and Knuckles's are correct, and neither of them imply there's more than one.

That said, balancing character paths in Race is extremely difficult, and "practically impossible" doesn't sound over the top to me. You might actually pull it off, but it will require a lot of work.

Maybe you should make it so that only Sonic can be picked. I mean making paths for each character could seriously be a waste of time.

Both Knuckles' and Knuckles's are correct, and neither of them imply there's more than one.

That said, balancing character paths in Race is extremely difficult, and "practically impossible" doesn't sound over the top to me. You might actually pull it off, but it will require a lot of work.

I'm actually beginning to think abut just scrapping the project. X-SRB2's golf mode has me entranced at the moment. Been making maps like crazy for it.

Well, if you misunderstood, sir, you may see now that we will find a way to put characters in theirs paths respectively to their skins. Simply as that. Random is a word that is not acceptable in SRB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back