SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Mods

Sonic Robo Blast 2 Switch Port Details »»
Sonic Robo Blast 2 Switch Port
Developer Last Online: Mar 2019

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (3 votes - 4.20 average)
Released: 02-08-2019 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
Re-Useable Content Code Changes Is in Beta Stage

Sonic Robo Blast 2 for the Nintendo Switch

SRB2 (2.1.23) is finally playable on the Nintendo Switch! Not really sure what else to say except the notes below. Big thanks to carstene1ns for his work on the initial port; I really only did some polishing work to get this up and running. The game mostly runs at its full framerate (35 FPS).

Installation Instructions
1. Make sure your Switch can run homebrew.
2. Extract the contents of the zip to the root of your SD card.
3. Start SRB2/Kart via hbmenu (or whatever method you prefer).

Update Instructions
SRB2 2.1.23 -> 2.1.23.1
- Simply download the new NRO (attached to this post) and overwrite the current one. The data files are the same.

Features
- Full online support*
- Full mouse/keyboard support
- Software keyboard supported when able to pause game

* Online support requires full RAM access. This means you can't launch hbmenu from the album applet when running this. Here's a good tutorial on a fix: https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-atmo...ut-nsp.521240/

Notes
- I've included a config.cfg that sets the resolution to 800x450 by default. It doesn't really do anything else so you can leave it out if you'd like.
- The game takes a bit to boot. A faster SD card may help with this.
- Without a config file, the game's default resolution is 320x200. I recommend setting it to 800x450 for the best balance of performance and visuals.
- You are unable to use the software keyboard when you are unable to pause the game. This is because the software keyboard pauses the entire game while it is active and could effectively be used as a lag switch.
- The game continues to run while on the Switch's home screen when you are unable to pause for the same reason as above.
- If you want to play the game with mouse/keyboard, you'll have to bind most of the buttons yourself.
- All button bindings are set "correctly" out-of-the-box. You might want to tweak them to your liking though.

Issues
- OpenGL doesn't work. If anyone smarter than me wants to take a crack at this, please do.
- No MIDI support.
- Split joy-cons don't work.
- If you put the console to sleep while hosting a network game, your Switch will crash, so don't do that.

Download
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BF...2xBdq_MdWrzhnd

Includes required data files and are built using the latest devkitPro bundle on Debian.
If you'd just like the NRO executable, you can find it attached to this post. You'll have to supply the data files yourself if you go that route.

Source
https://github.com/Joseph14078/SRB2

Changelog
SRB2 2.1.23.1: (Current)
- Fixed add-ons menu
- Added online support
- Added mouse/keyboard support
- Added software keyboard support
- Tweaked default controls

SRB2 2.1.23:
- Initial release

Download Now

File Type: zip srb2switch_2.1.23.1.nro.zip (4.12 MB, 46 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	A8bx2lU.png
Views:	1460
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	16373  

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 02-10-2019   #2
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Obligatory: You jailbreak and run homebrew software on your switch at your own risk. STJr and the SRB2MB takes no responsibility for the results of doing so.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019   #3
heyjoeway

Hey all, I've just updated the port, and I think it's nearly feature-complete at this point. Some of the notable changes include:

- Online support (!!!)
- Mouse/keyboard support (yes, mouse support)
- Software keyboard support for text fields/console
- Add-ons menu fixed

Make sure to read the update notes if you've already downloaded this.
heyjoeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #4
Axonic

Yo, this is a total dream come true! Just, ah, one big issue: I don't want to hack my one and only Nintendo Switch and lose a lot because of it (e.g. get my Nintendo Network account banned).

Disregarding the lowering popularity of the 3DS, I'm also supposing this absolutely kills the chance of there ever being a port of SRB2 on what I believe is the #1 console to hack, unless there is some way to backwards engineer this onto the 3DS.
Axonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #5
Hybrid
Previously known as "Wagon"

It mostly... works. Sometimes it randomly crashes and gives a black screen...
Old 02-15-2019   #6
Fres
oof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axonic View Post
Disregarding the lowering popularity of the 3DS, I'm also supposing this absolutely kills the chance of there ever being a port of SRB2 on what I believe is the #1 console to hack, unless there is some way to backwards engineer this onto the 3DS.
Pssst, it already exists. It's just missing stuff this port has, like online support.
Fres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #7
Axonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fres View Post
Pssst, it already exists. It's just missing stuff this port has, like online support.
Oh.
My.
Gosh.
Thank you. Thank you tons. This stuff is really hard to look for (at least, for me). And if it's just online support, I'm honestly alright with that. Barely ever played online myself. But thank you so much, seriously! Now I just need to get this into my console and see how it runs.
Axonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #8
heyjoeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
It mostly... works. Sometimes it randomly crashes and gives a black screen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
* Online support requires full RAM access. This means you can't launch hbmenu from the album applet when running this. Here's a good tutorial on a fix: https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-atmo...ut-nsp.521240/
Maybe it's running out of RAM offline too. Give that a shot.
heyjoeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019   #9
Jhonny

I’ve been playing this nonstop since its release using Sonic Mania as the “host game” for HBmenu and I can confirm the ports works almost flawlessly for the entirety of the single player campaign.

What works:
• All single player campaign stages from start to end
• All NIGHTS stages, including both secret ones
• All unlockable regular levels
• All emblems in the game can be collected properly

What doesn’t work:
• No music playback in stages that use MIDI, including WADs

Other stuff:
• While everything runs at amazingly solid frame rates, dips can happen in NIGHTS stages at maximum rendering distance, making them disorienting
DO NOT CONNECT TO NETGAMES WITHOUT A PROPER NINTENDO BLOCKING DNS! Going online on a homebrew application could easily mark your account for an online ban. Even if nothing crashes, make sure you set a DNS up such as 90DNS before playing online

Will edit this post if I find any other oddities online, but as of the time of writing: this port is great
Jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019   #10
vonitare
my head keeps, spinnin'~

alright I knew you guys were insane but I didn't realize you were THIS INSANE, getting this to work on the switch? absolute madlads you lot are. great work, can't wait to see this go further