SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Kart Releases & Mods > Miscellaneous

Wipezones V2.0! Now with Zone Battle Details »»
Wipezones V2.0! Now with Zone Battle
Developer Last Online: Mar 2019

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 4.40 average)
Released: 01-13-2019 Last Update: 01-23-2019 Installs: 2
Scripts

Slip tide through maps at dizzying speeds in Wipzones, a game mode inspired by Wipeout HD.
The rules are simple: You begin the race with a speed boost and can't stop going faster and faster. Each time you hit a wall (or a hazard or fall off), you will lose some shield energy. If you get hit with no energy, the game's over.

The Multiplayer only mode, Zone Battle is also avaiable! Be the fastest to reach the target Zone with spicy additions to the normal singleplayer Zone gameplay! (Check spoilers below for details)

Here's a little sample video of a pretty decent run on Sunbeam Paradise.

Spoiler: HOW TO PLAY: SinglePlayer

Heads-Up Display:

You auto accelerate
No need to hold the accelerator, the game does it for you. Focus on avoiding the damage.
You will keep going faster and faster as you build up more Zones over time.

You are in a constant boost state, use that to your advantage!
Because you are constantly under the effect of an infinite sneaker, you can slip tide at will! To slip tide, start drifting, then release your drift and keep turning inwards. This will allow you to take very sharp turns.

It matters not who you are
All karts are normalized to Sonic's stats. This gives you a high top speed and tight turn arc for maximum enjoyment.

Shield Energy:
To avoid our drivers dying from a single collision, we put a shield around your karts! For each wall/hazard collision, you'll lose 5% of that energy. If you fall off the track, it'll be 10%. The shield will break when it reaches 0%. Taking any damage without it will prove to be fatal at such speeds.

Recovering Energy:
It's possible to recover energy after losing some; you must complete a full lap without taking damage. This will reward you with 20 Shield.

You CAN slow down!
You can hold brake to signigicantly slow down. This will drain your HP however, and you can't brake if you have 1 HP or less.

Air brake
We equipped karts with air brakes to allow them to slow down in mid air. You can brake in mid-air for no cost at all. So use ramps to slow down on strategic spots.

Score
You get score by just driving around. After the round is over, you will get to see your total score. These factors are taken into account for your score:
  • Base score
  • Zone number
  • Perfect Zone combo
  • Top speed (in kmph)
  • Laps
  • Perfect Laps

Spoiler: HOW TO PLAY: Zone Battle

Heads-Up Display: the sequel

Zone, except now you can play with """friends"""
All of the singleplayer tips apply to Zone Battle with the exception of the scoring system and perfect lap shield regeneration, be sure to check those out!

Reach the target zone!
The first player to reach the target zone to win!

Slower zone buildup...
In Zone battle, you build up zones three times as slow as you do when you play by yourself.

Zone gauge; the instruction book!
Exclusive to Zone Battle is the Zone gauge at the bottom of the screen. It fills up as you collect item boxes and clear laps. The more you have, the more you get! Once both bars are at least green, you can press Fire item to execute a Zone Boost, or Custom 1 to execute a Shield Asborb. Be aware that no matter which one you perform, both actions will be lost until you build up enough Zone gauge again.
At maximum, you can get 8 Zones or 100 Shield Energy. The gauge does not fill past those.

Zone Boost!!
When you Zone Boost, the amount indicated next to the gauge is added to your Zone total, simple as that. This is your best way to catch up.
It will also leave a dangerous Zone barrier behind you. Perhaps you have been wondering why not just fill the entire gauge before using it, well, hitting a barrier will cut your Zone gauge in half AND eat away 40 Shield Energy! Be careful, you are not immuned to your own Zone Barriers!!

Shield Absorb
Using Shield Absorb is your only way to recover Shield in Zone Battle. The amount of energy recovered is indicated next to the Absorb gauge. Doing so will also grant you a short invincibility during which hitting walls does no damage, and can phase through Zone barriers, but does NOT destroy them, so someone will eventually have to ram into em!

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! *car crash noises*
Should you die in Zone Battle, you'll instantly respawn with 35 Shield Energy at the cost of 5 Zones lost, so stay safe and try to keep your energy above 40 at all times.

Everyone sucks at this game!
If the Zone target is too high and that no one has reached it in 4 minutes, it will start lowering by 1 every 5 seconds. Moreover, the same will happen 20 seconds after one player reaches the target to avoid matches dragging for too long.

Spoiler: Some commands

zonestart: Set the zone you'll start at. (default is 1)
zonestarthp: Set how much HP you start with. (default is 100)
NOTE: if you set either of those values to anything ABOVE their default value, score will not be calculated

kartzone on/off: Enables or disables zone mode for the next map. Defaults to on, obviously.
kartzonebattle on/off: Enables or disables Zone Battle for the next map, reverting to 1.X behavior if off. Default is on.
kartzonebattletarget: Sets the target to reach in Zone Battle for the next map. Default is 35.

Special Thanks
LazyMK for the base idea. Somehow I followed it through.
LatiusAuro for scripting assistance and some ideas
LJ Sonik for pseudorandom number lib

Download Now

File Type: rar kl_zone_v2.rar (430.6 KB, 207 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0069.jpg
Views:	1446
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	15240   Click image for larger version

Name:	wipezones_logo.png
Views:	1457
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	15242   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0097.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	15650  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 01-13-2019   #2
Sryder13
'That brit'
Judge

Works amazingly. Really brought me back to me and my brother trying to get the highest zone in WipEout HD!

My only minor issues are that you can't literally start on 0% shield (1 hit ANYWHERE kills you) and that holding brake still slows you down but doesn't really have any big drawbacks to score. I know it drains your shield but for the amount of advantage it gives, I feel holding the brake while on the ground should stop both the score gain AND zone progress.
It would also be cool to one day have the voice line sound effects announcing things as you play.

Regardless, that's definitely minor enough to not hold it back, welcome to releases!
Old 01-13-2019   #3
MK.exe
The one and only!

A perfect representation of how Zone works
Totally a pro at this

This is sooo much fun to play and I'm glad it's in releases, Mainly to see everyone's hiscores!

Last edited by MK.exe; 01-13-2019 at 05:28 PM.
MK.exe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #4
stephan1234

So...... F-Zero mode in Kart?
stephan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #5
"Lat'"
Stop it

Default v1.1

What would be a release without a quick day one patch!

V1.1 Major changes include:
  • Hacked something together so that Blue Mountain Zone is now playable.
  • Braking with no HP left will now stop Zone progress and SWIFTLY decrease your score.
  • Added voice sound effects from Wipeout HD each time a major Zone is reached.
  • Removed some leveltime dependant stuff in the HUD to have it be more consistent
  • It is now possible to start with 0 HP, or 99999 if that's your thing.
  • Fixed some cvar exploit
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #6
Latius
Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter

The Zone Kart. Considered to be a Kart with 8 Speed and 2 weight, all who wish to take on the Zone Challenge has to exchange their kart (or car) for a Zone Kart (or Zone Car).
One of the defining features of the Zone Kart is the lack of the accelerator. This is because the Zone Kart is equipped with the top of the line Rocket Sneaker Tech, (pattant pending) which automatically kicks into gear when the green light shows.
Also included in the Zone Kart is a Zone Shield Generator. The standard spec has enough charge to last for 20 hits, 10 bottomless pits or 14.25s worth of braking before being depleted.
Speaking of brakes, due to the intense speeds, the Zone Kart is equipped with both Air Brakes and Zone Brakes. The former can be used at no harm to the shield, but the latter will drain the shield, and if there's not enough energy for it to do that, it'll then drain energy from the Rocket Sneaker Tech, preventing it from speeding you up. However, this is frowned upon by the ZRC (the Zone Racing Committee) and penality points will be given for draining from the Rocket Sneaker Tech.
Due to the space requirements of the Rocket Sneaker Tech, Zone Karts are unable to obtain or use Items. However, the Zone Shield Generator does charge up over time, and if you manage to complete a whole lap or section without hitting the wall once, the Generator will restore up to 20 units of Shield Energy to the Kart.
Finally... I must warn you that due to the speeds the Zone Kart can reach, the shield is needed for it to survive any kind of hit against a wall. Without it, it will blow up within about a second or two. Thankfully, the Zone Kart can be replaced easily. The driver, not so much.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Latius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #7
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel

This + Deton = AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #8
"Lat'"
Stop it

What would be a day one patch if it actually fixed stuff properly?
Unless the release of 1.0.2 breaks anything, this should be the last update period.

V1.2
  • Fixed airbraking removing points at 0 HP (oops)
  • Fixed being able to build up points and zone while dead
  • Added sounds and visual effects to braking and airbraking.
  • I forgot to add LJ Sonik to the credits for his RNG I used because I keep using it in unfinished projects for HUD stuff. So now that's done...!
Old 01-15-2019   #9
Lazuli

Just wanted to say that this mod is amazing to play, and that I love the new visuals and sounds! I feel like the screenshake after you land from a jump could be toned down just a tad bit, but besides that it's a great time!
Lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019   #10
Xelork
Xelork is Happy to see you.

Umm..... i've found an error ;n;

LUA_ZONE:528: bad argument #1 to 'enable' (invalid option 'freeplay')

That's make Wipezones unplayable for me.
Old 01-23-2019   #11
"Lat'"
Stop it

Default Update 2.0

Wipezones got a neat little update that it desperatly needed.

V2.0
  • Added Zone Battle as a multiplayer only mode! Go play with some friends. (Check details on the OP for HOW TO PLAY)
  • Please read HOW TO PLAY before jumping cluelessly into a Zone netgame if those happen :^)
  • Added splitscreen support. With Kart's lacking splitscreen support in Lua, there is a good chance things might break.
  • Fixed my idiocy in trying to assume I'd get the freeplay disable in 1.0.2, now the script will actually LAUNCH!!
  • Screen shake from hitting the floor has been made less aggressive.

Er, blah blah have fun, report bugs, you know the drill!