SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Kart Releases & Mods > Levels

Stargazer Cup Beta 1.3 Details »»
Stargazer Cup Beta 1.3
Developer Last Online: Feb 2019

Category: Version: SRB2 Kart Rating: (4 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 01-06-2019 Last Update: Never Installs: 0
Multiplayer Levels Is in Beta Stage

Note: This release is in beta. The tracks are functionally complete, but track details are missing from this release.

The Stargazer Cup is a set of courses about staring into the night sky and ascending to space. The courses are based off of previous levels that I have made. These tracks occupy MAPGA - MAPGE.

Track Descriptions:
Overgrown Castle: A miniaturized, theme park version of a castle overrun with weeds and gnarled roots. This 3-lap beginner course has consistent road widths and basic drifts. The only punishment for failure is the off-road. This course should take 2:15 to 2:30 to complete.

Midnight Caves: Traverse a cave network which loops in on itself and the adjoining mountain sides. This 3-lap beginner/intermediate course has many turns and falls to look out for. This course should take 2:00 to 2:30 to complete.

Empty Sanctum: A long abandoned sanctuary of mysterious purposes. Eggman has taken some claim to the areas he could reach. This 3-lap intermediate course has pitfalls and steep turns. Knowing about drift storage while airborne can save some time on this track. This track should take 2:30 to 2:45 to complete.

Bio Satellite: A turbocharged orbital conservatory with lasers to carve the landscape and stop intruders. This 2-lap intermediate/expert course has some daring turns and drifts. The lasers will change your racing line both laps. There are 3 shortcuts in this stage, with 2 not being as obvious. This track should take 2:00 to 2:45 to complete.

Cosmic Rift: The final course in the Stargazer Cup. Traverse solidified planetoid rings with nothing but boosters and signs to keep you company. This 2-lap expert course has no off-road nor walls to keep you safe. The road is consistent and somewhat wider to compensate. Break drifting may be needed for steep or tight turns. This track should take 2:00 to 3:00 to complete.

Spoiler: Course Backgrounds:

All tracks retain their names from their parent releases.

Overgrown Castle is based off a map made for SUGOI.

Midnight Caves is based off of an entry for SRB2ís 2014 May/June Official Level Design Contest.

Empty Sanctum is based off a NiGHTS map made for SUBARASHII. Flats and textures for this course are taken from the FreeDoom Texture Pack for SRB2

Bio Satellite is based off of Bio Satellite and Egg Lasershow from KIMOKAWAIII. This map was first one made and inspired the rest of the cup when I realized that some elements copied from the source levels would make for good track elements when slightly modified.

Cosmic Rift is based off a circuit map made for SRB2 v1.90.4. An update for the map was made for SRB2 v2.0, but never released due to waning interest in the circuit game type.

Spoiler: Song Credits:

Overgrown Castle: "Filmoa" from ActRaiser.
Empty Sanctum: "Stairway to Revelation" from Tower of Heaven
Bio Satellite: "Sun Surfer Rising" from Haven: Call of the King.
Cosmic Rift: "Stage 2: Contrary to Popular Belief" from Need For Madness.

Spoiler: Change Log:

Spoiler: b1.3

General:
  • All tracks now have encore pallets.
  • Dev times are now included. They are meant to be expert level and there arenít any medals for beating them.
Cosmic Rift:
  • A turn and booster have been adjusted.
  • Immediate desyncs when replaying ghosts has been fixed.
  • The course is now 3 laps.

Spoiler: b1.2

Overgrown Castle:
  • The mini-map has been updated.

Bio Satellite:
  • The mini-map has been updated.
  • It should no longer be possible to repeatedly spawn over a pit by going under a bridge.

Cosmic Rift:
  • The mini-map has been enlarged and updated.
  • Several steep slopes and tight turns have been alleviated.
  • Some course skips have been removed.
  • The course is somewhat more detailed.

Spoiler: b1.1

General:
  • The cup is now compressed via PK3.
  • Song credits are now added.
  • Slope physics have been removed from some unneeded areas.
  • Arrows have been added in some more areas.

Overgrown Castle:
  • The course is somewhat more detailed.

Midnight Caves:
  • Fencing and advance warning is now given for the sharp waterfall turn.
  • The waterfall at that sharp turn no longer has current.
  • The fence texture has changed to better contrast with the environment.

Empty Sanctum:
  • The course is more detailed.
  • The map has been changed to reflect closed gaps.
  • The start of the map should have better visibility.
  • The sloped U-Turn has been flattened and replaced with a staircase.
  • The first waterfall cavern now has barriers on the outer edge of the platforms.
  • The sloped outdoor U-Turn is much smoother.
  • The second waterfall cavern has had a gap bridged and (hopefully) a spawn trap has been removed.
  • A sky conflict (notably with Adventure Acre Zone) has been resolved.

Bio Satellite:
  • Laser timings have been made fairer.
  • It should no longer be possible to die on the first straightaway of the course. A barrier was added to the outer edge and if you spin out, you will reach the top of the incline with no further damage.
  • The end of the second straightaway now has some extra ground to drive on if you were unable to avoid the end via the turns or the middle path.
  • The corkscrew now has some added arrows.
  • The S-turn is much more lenient. It is now less steep; glass barriers have been added to the inside edges and most of the springs bridging the curves have been removed.

Cosmic Rift:
  • Spawn traps have hopefully been reduced.
  • Some checkpoint skips were resolved.
  • The first steep slope no longer has a checkpoint.

b1 - Original release.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 KR_Stargazer_Cup_b1.3.pk3 (3.31 MB, 185 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0010.png
Views:	323
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	15129   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0024.png
Views:	271
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	15130   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0020.png
Views:	239
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	15132   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0025.png
Views:	227
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	15133   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0036.png
Views:	107
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	16432  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 01-07-2019   #2
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

OOh, a cup! Don't see those often enough! It's welcome to releases, but I'd like to discuss the maps a little bit too...

Overgrown Castle - I really enjoyed this one, but I don't have much else to say on it. I do like how the big trunks on the turns can be cut by boosting where its sloped down.

Midnight Caves - My only real issue here is that one turn before the waterfall you drive through. Despite the signs, I always seem to pass it. Also, any reason why the waterfall in question needed to force you back? I know there's a boost pad right there, but the waterfall didn't need to do this.

Empty Sanctum - The respawn for this turn right here felt really awkward to me, and I felt some jumps had me hesitating just a hair too long on how to approach the next turn, leading to some falls, and maybe some arrows could alleviate that? Could just be me.

Bio Satellite - Oh wow, that is quite the difficulty spike. The laser beams should have less active frames at the end, its just too small of a difference between the different blasts. I also found myself falling off a lot of the turns more often too, like over here where the first time I took it, I just drove off. I also feel that the respawn for this S turn over here is very harsh for how far back you go if you mess up, which I did multiple times on my first lap. Finally, the sneaker shortcut that takes you to a set of springs, I ended up going right past all of them the first time I took it and flung right into the pit. Might wanna place more and clump them closer together.

Cosmic Rift - And after the last map, we actually have an easier one, but still remaining more difficult than the first 3, and rightfully so. My only real issue here is the big sudden decline here followed up by the turns. It just feels so sharp and always caches me off guard. Instead of one sharp drop, the peak of the drop should have a curved slope to it to ease you in a bit, I keep thinking I clipped through the road you see as you descend, or something. I also feel the sudden sharp slope issue makes the following ascending slopes a bit hard to see the turns for too, but that could just be me.

Overall, I still say I enjoyed this pack, even if a bit unpolished and in need of some visual bump up (like with Cosmic Rift) You still did good work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0035.gif
Views:	112
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	15145   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0036.gif
Views:	123
Size:	4.83 MB
ID:	15146   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0037.gif
Views:	116
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	15147   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0038.gif
Views:	133
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	15148   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0041.gif
Views:	144
Size:	6.30 MB
ID:	15149  

D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #3
LunarRay

I found a respawn trap in Empty Sanctum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKYbQneYBrc
LunarRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019   #4
Chaobrother

Thanks for everyone’s feedback! The Stargazer Cup has been updated to b1.1. This minor update should hopefully reduce the Hell-tier difficulty of the original release, while keeping the intended challenge.
Edit: The Stargazer Cup has been updated to Beta 1.2. This update primarily fixes major issues with Cosmic Rift.
The change log is in the original post.

Last edited by Chaobrother; 02-09-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Chaobrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019   #5
Chaobrother

Beta 1.3 has been released. Dev times, Encore pallets, and more changes to Cosmic Rift come with this update.
Chaobrother is offline   Reply With Quote