Exits linked to specific player starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
Is it possible to have a specific exit sector in one level spawn the player in a specific player start in another? For example, let's say we have two levels, 1 and 2, each divided into regions A and B. When the player spawns in level 1, they have a choice of entering 1A or 1B. In each, there is an exit sector that leads to level 2. Is it possible to have one sector take the player to a Player Start in 2A and the other to one in 2B if both 2A and 2B are in the same map?

D:

That's unfortunate. I might recommend it in the Suggestions topic for 2.1.

If you really wanted to get into it, you could probably achieve this in a way, but you'd have to use two copies of the same level. That way, each possible exit in the first level would route you to the copy with the corresponding level start. I don't know how good of an idea it is in the first place, though.

You're better off doing it the way Dumbventure did and have multiple levels inside one level, and use teleports, starpost markers and sky/music switches to make it seem like a separate stage.

It pretty much seems like there's no way to accomplish what I'd hoped. Unfortunately, this will mean my planned modification, if it is ever created, will make NAGZ look like a linedef executor test map in terms of the strain it will put on SRB2's engine (I'll need 20 maps for three "acts"). Ah, well.

Well, one idea I have but will never go through with is basically having a heirachy of stages and depending on how you complete a stage, you'll go down this heirachy in various ways, and there would be differences in later stages depending on how you went through others before it, such as how long you took, where you exited or if you got the emerald or not.

You can use things like custom exits for that, similarly to how Mystic Realm works with its Emerald stages where if you press a button it'll change where the custom exit takes you.

It pretty much seems like there's no way to accomplish what I'd hoped. Unfortunately, this will mean my planned modification, if it is ever created, will make NAGZ look like a linedef executor test map in terms of the strain it will put on SRB2's engine (I'll need 20 maps for three "acts"). Ah, well.

More maps doesn't mean more strain on the engine, you know. Only huge, excessively detailed, wide open maps do that. And as any level designer soon learns, huge and wide open are completely un-necessary in SRB2 and can somewhat easily be avoided.

More maps doesn't mean more strain on the engine, you know. Only huge, excessively detailed, wide open maps do that. And as any level designer soon learns, huge and wide open are completely un-necessary in SRB2 and can somewhat easily be avoided.

I'm not really worried about the in-game problems, just the difficulty of loading all the maps at once. Isn't there a limit to the size of WADs, beyond which SRB2 can't take so much data at once? If there isn't, then that's excellent. And I'll Begin, what I plan to do is something like a heirarchy of maps, but much more complicated than 1->2->4... Anyway, thanks for giving me the facts on this matter.

Isn't there a limit to the size of WADs, beyond which SRB2 can't take so much data at once?
Not sure. But srb2.srb is 72,5 MB and it obviously loads fine. Tortured Planet is even bigger. So I wouldn't worry much about file size. You likely won't ever reach these file sizes with maps alone anyway.

Well, it's good to know that WADs can get so big, although I will keep download speed in mind if I ever release what I'm doing. I don't want a repeat of ERB2 2.0, that thing was upwards of 160 MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back