Pokemon:Black&White

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really not. Most of Nintendo's franchises have seen significant changes as time goes on, such as the transition to 3D and some downright massive changes necessary to make that work. Super Mario Galaxy is a great example of them changing the formula pretty dramatically. SMG plays nothing like SM64, and I'm not just talking about the gravity gimmick. The level design and progression structure are dramatically different. Hell, Metroid went first person for its first 3D iteration. If that's not changing up the formula I don't know what is.

Pokemon, on the other hand, has always played it safe, staying extremely close to the original in every iteration. There are many incremental improvements, especially to the UI (the first gen UI is absolutely terrible), but the game itself as I described above hasn't changed an inch.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actually LIKES Pokemon as it is and really don't want them to change it. Sure, I'd like larger games (like HG/SS with all of the content it has), but at the end of the day I play Pokemon because of the formula it has. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't still be playing it.

You aren't the only one who likes Pokemon and doesn't want it to change.

Even though I feel like I'm playing the same game in 3D, who cares? Its still fun.
Edit:Ok, maybe just Zelda(Consoles) and Pokemon are the same.

Last edited:
Zelda changed dramatically in the transition to 3D. Ocarina of Time has completely different gameplay from Link to the Past. It still has the same spirit and is just as awesome, but the game itself is totally different. Ocarina of Time is not a "playing it safe" game design. It was a radical departure for the series at the time, with features and ideas that were completely new to the series, and some ideas that would go on to be a common part of gaming (Z-targeting, context-sensitive A button...)

Pokemon did not change at all in the transition to 3D. Fourth gen plays exactly the same as third gen, only with 3D models used for the level architecture.

And the physical special move pool switch which, in my opinion, was an awesome move. I thought it was like that since the games first came out.

I don't mean the little changes to the combat math, Tailsmastermind, I mean the basic gameplay. Pokemon's basic gameplay hasn't changed a bit since 1st gen. You get your starter, go battle trainers and catch wild Pokemon with a turn-based interface that only lets you learn 4 moves per Pokemon. It hasn't changed at all the entire time. The interface around it has changed, and it's gotten a lot more features over the years for doing it, but the gameplay hasn't changed in the slightest.

I think nintendo should try a new combat system in the games where instead of telling the pokemon what to do you actually take control of the pokemon.

I think nintendo should try a new combat system in the games where instead of telling the pokemon what to do you actually take control of the pokemon.
So change turn-base into real time? Just seems like another SSB or rather another Pokemon Rumble, but not in toy forum. Though if hypothetically they DID do this, where would the strategy be?

I meant in the main series.
So change turn-base into real time? Just seems like another SSB or rather another Pokemon Rumble, but not in toy forum. Though if hypothetically they DID do this, where would the strategy be?
The strategy would be the same strategy system used in action based RPGs.

hms said:
the strategy would be the same strategy system used in action based RPGs.

Soooo.... like what? Your may need to elaborate since most Real-time RPGs have different mechanics in gameplay and strategy.

I like pokemon, I used to challenge my friends and they both lost, it was cool When I choose Pikachu.

Last edited:
A few pictures of the game

Here are a few resized pictures:

BW_Prerelease_Battle.png

Zoroark battling Zorua
BW_Prerelease_Bridge.png

A bridge in a city
BW_Prerelease_Cave.png

A cave
BW_Prerelease_City.png

A new city
BW_Prerelease_Pok%C3%A9mon_Center.png

Inside the Pokémon Center. "Welcome!"
BW_Prerelease_Town.png

A small town

So if you have seen these pictures before then you should know that the 3D-thingy is better in this game. (I took these pictures from Bulbapedia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back