Rebirth - Green Hill Zone Act 1 3D VERSION 1.21! Final?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate

a scar in time...
Hi, this is my first WAD ever xD. After hearing about the 3D version of Green Hill on SA2B, but being unable to play it, I really wanted to create one of my own. This is not modeled after the SA2B version, but the very original Green Hill Zone from Sega Genesis ^^. Green Hill Zone was always my favorite stage out of all the Sonic games...

NOTES
- Please keep in mind that this is my first level and I worked on it for 3 days, so don't laugh at me if it's horrible T-T

- THIS STAGE WAS DESIGNED FOR SONIC ONLY! You can use the other characters if you want, but I'll consider it the easy way out if you do...
Also, Sonic's thok can be used to get around faster, but if you use it to get past obstacles, I'll consider that the easy way out as well ^^
If you're wondering what the reason for this is, it's because it's modeled after Sonic 1 ^^

- If you have any suggestions, please tell me, I really am new at this. If you see any graphical problems, the most likely reason that I didn't fix them is because I don't know how, so if you see a problem and are willing to explain how to fix it, please do so ^^

- Oh yeah, there is an emerald in the stage...but it isn't hidden extremely well.

Anyways, here are some screenshots and the download link at the end of this post.

- I think I'm going to attempt to remake all of Sonic 1 in 3D...if not, then at least all of Green Hill Zone ^^

The beginning of the stage.
RebirthGHZ01Picture1.jpg

I like Green Hill Zone scenery T-T
RebirthGHZ01Picture2.jpg

Oo..lots of rings, but will you be able to get them all?
RebirthGHZ01Picture3.jpg

Finally here is the link:
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=efeb6925ae464e471f7f748370fadb7f

I will begin work on Act 2 starting tomorrow ^^

Version 1.1 fixes:
- Added Water block above deathpit
- Lowered sound near waterfalls ^^
- Lowered enemy count in normal mode
- Deafed Rings on ground
- Made the level slightly less cramped widthwise, but not lengthwise really. Probably going to make it less cramped in the next version, but tell me if it's any better than the last.
- Made boundaries smaller.

Version 1.2 fixes:
- Made level less cramped! Suggestions still welcome...and needed ^^
- Fixed some graphical mistakes
- Made some very slight scenery additions/alterations

Version 1.21 fixes:
- Replaced invisible blocks with invisible FOF's
- Corrected star post flag values
- Closed opened sectors
- Added multiplayer start things.

By the look of the screenies, this level pwns. Will review in a minute, but don't expect too much detail, I haven't played SA2. Or is it SA2B? Who cares. DLing...

EDIT: Oh dear. Oh dear. You are obviously quite good at WADding, but you have some problems:

- Water sound is too loud, turn it DOWN
- The enemy placement kinda sucked
- All the rings in one place sucked
- The rings on the ground aren't deafed/floating
- This level is far too cramped, widen the space out some more.
- No wonder the Software looks like crap, your boundaries are WAY too far apart.

Overall, 5/10

Yay, thanks for commenting ^^

-The water sounds I had no idea about (I always play with my volume very low xD...that explains why it took so many sound things to make the waterfall sound loud xD). Hm...I better fix this fast so people don't go deaf ^^"

-The enemies/crampedness were two of the things on my 'to fix' list, so those I know what I'll do ^^

-The rings floating I actually forgot to fix before uploading the wad because I've been setting each ring set of rings individually, for reasons I'm not exactly sure of ^^"
-Is there a way to make the boundaries invisible? Because I want the player to be able to see the sky...but if I bring the boundaries in closer the sky will either be blocked or I'll have to lower the ceiling, but I don't want to do either T-T

Ultimate said:
-Is there a way to make the boundaries invisible? Because I want the player to be able to see the sky...but if I bring the boundaries in closer the sky will either be blocked or I'll have to lower the ceiling, but I don't want to do either T-T

Yes. Make a small sector around the edge of the LEVEL, not the Thok Barrier, delete that. Set it to roughly 50 fracunits above the ground/sea level. Make all the lindefs connecting it to the level Impassable, the create another sector around that. Set the floor and ceiling to 0 and 0, and the flats to F_SKY1 and F_SKY1. Don't bother with textures on that one, it'll be replaced by sky automatically. Then reduce the boundaries.

Guitarplaya said:
Ultimate said:

Yes. Make a small sector around the edge of the LEVEL, not the Thok Barrier, delete that. Set it to roughly 50 fracunits above the ground/sea level. Make all the lindefs connecting it to the level Impassable, the create another sector around that. Set the floor and ceiling to 0 and 0, and the flats to F_SKY1 and F_SKY1. Don't bother with textures on that one, it'll be replaced by sky automatically. Then reduce the boundaries.

Sonic can still thok through impassable linedefs, hence the invention of the thok barrier. I haven't downloaded this wad yet, I don't know if it's an issue. I'll look at it. Yes, since I'm at my own computer, I'll HAVE to play it in Software Mode.

EDIT:

Rebirth Green Hill Zone, 4/10

This does not look horrible in Software mode. You certainly have lots of "slime trails", some of which cause Hall of Mirrors. BSZ is worse at doing this, though.

Actually, I liked this level! Unfortunately, I don't even understand why I do. But I do. I can, however, tell what I didn't like:

It really has only one path, though, and that's not great. The part where you had to spindash under a very small opening caused some camera issues. Guitarplaya is right, your waterfall sounds are too loud. It's too short.

SON OF EDIT:
Just drag the level boundaries closer. It's something you'll just have to do.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Guitarplaya said:
Ultimate said:

Sonic can still thok through impassable linedefs, hence the invention of the thok barrier. I haven't downloaded this wad yet, I don't know if it's an issue. I'll look at it. Yes, since I'm at my own computer, I'll HAVE to play it in Software Mode.

I know, apparently you're supposed to make an invisible FOF, but I don't know how to do that without tinting the sky light/dark.

Re: Rebirth - Green Hill Zone Act 1 3D

Ultimate said:
Hi, this is my first level ever created for SRB2, or anything for that matter. After hearing about the 3D version of Green Hill on SA2B, but being unable to play it, I really wanted to create one of my own. This is not modeled after the SA2B version, but the very original Green Hill Zone from Sega Genesis ^^. Green Hill Zone was always my favorite stage out of all the Sonic games...

Wait, FIRST WAD? That's actually very good for a first WAD. Have you ever seen Digiku's CTF Mazeathon Zone? That's not even his first, and it was a lot worse than this.

Oh, by the way, you shouldn't make stages that narrow. It's just something we don't do. It doesn't look good, and it lowers the sense of freedom.

Wow this level was overall pretty good, in fact. Especially since it's a first. But most of the rings were undeafed, it was cramped, and too many robots within the small level.

Chaos said:
Understand grassy edges and pegging, to make your level look better.

Unfortunately, grassy edges don't fit with a this sort of theme for a level. So that wouldn't work so well as you think it will.

The edges on the platforms where it reaches the top? You can do those with pegging, ya know. Look at the platforms in Sonic 1.

O_o (What does "BTW" Mean?) Wow; This is decent! And If you ask, there are much worse than this. So pretty good. But there's something really bugging me on this:
  • Too many Enemies
  • There's too many Bunches of them. Not to mention too many in the bunches...
  • Bit cramped. I suggest you stretch the land.
  • The water at the bottom is NOT water, I think you should make a shallow pool and the death pit. But that's my idea...

I really liked this level. There is some things you could change.
  • The waterfalls are really loud.
  • Make the water at the bottom actual water with a death pit underneath, and maybe make the waterfalls actual water.
  • Make the borders smaller.
  • It's cramped, not very much, though. I've seen way more cramped levels.
  • If you go to that place with the bridge and the 2 waterfalls, the water under the bridge isn't a death pit.
  • Oh, and for that blue wall around the level, how about you lower the floor and ceiling to the same height the water is, and make both the textures F_SKY1.

I sorta liked the enemies, maybe make some on easy, some on normal, and some on hard, just for those who think there's too many.

Aled The Hedgehog said:
What does "BTW" Mean?

By the way. And BTW this looks pretty good but I agree with everybody else. And it would be really cool if you could redo the entire Sonic 1. Many have tried all have failed.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'm going to change the level accordingly and hopefully release a new version before the end of today ^^

Also, did you guys find the emerald? (I think you probably did, it wasn't that difficult to find...I think)

Oh, and thanks again SRB2WikiSonicMaster, if you didn't direct me to the better doombuilder tutorial, I would have been stuck on sector 3 ^^"

This level only seemed promising in the beginning. How long have you been working on this in total?

Ultimate said:
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'm going to change the level accordingly and hopefully release a new version before the end of today ^^

Also, did you guys find the emerald? (I think you probably did, it wasn't that difficult to find...I think)

Oh, and thanks again SRB2WikiSonicMaster, if you didn't direct me to the better doombuilder tutorial, I would have been stuck on sector 3 ^^"

You're welcome. In fact, I wrote that tutorial. I still need to put images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back