Pre-Modified Games Can Save Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title makes... about 2% sense, I think. So to give it a description, if you boot the game fresh, it's not modified. If you add a file which modifies the game without game data, it becomes "full-modified". If you add a file which has custom save data, it becomes "half-modified", even if the game is "full-modified" before-hand!

To put it in another way, if I -
- Add Shadow, the game becomes "full-modified", unable to save data.
- Add the Mystic Realm, the game becomes "half-modified", able to save custom data.
- Add Mystic Realm and Shadow, the game becomes "full-modified", unable to save data.
- Add Shadow and Mystic Realm, the game becomes "half-modified", able to save custom data, while Shadow is still playable!

Yes, I can even start a single-player save in Mystic Realm as Shadow, close the game, reboot it, add Shadow and then Mystic Realm, and load the save with Shadow again, just as fine as if it was Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles.
If I reboot the game and add Silver instead of Shadow before Mystic Realm, the save will have Silver as character instead (with the life and continue icons having Shadow's black colour instead of Silver's silver colour, as that's what's saved into the save file).

Refer to the following if you need proof. Images taken in a custom-compiled 2.1.15, however the issue is also there in the released 2.1.14 and earlier, so I'm pretty sure it's just basically always been there. Note the images use Aurora Atoll instead of Mystic Realm, though.
GL6Gi5U.png

TVHgjb4.png

fLwAXIW.png
Additionally, if you load a file with custom save data and go to a slot in the save list which uses a skin number not currently loaded (such as if adding Mystic Realm without adding a character first), SRB2 will just crash, with the generic "srb2(win/dd).exe has stopped working" message.

Edit: Oh, and this doesn't just go for custom characters. You could perhaps even make a Lua script which makes you god-like, then load that before Mystic Realm, and beat Mystic Realm with ease, while still unlocking secrets and so on.

Yeah, we know about this, and have known. We're relying on the honor system, really, for right now. If you really want to ruin the fun of a mod for yourself, whatever.

I've been considering the idea of a file whitelist per mod in the future, however. That would also have the benefit of allowing you to add files that are whitelisted after the fact and not lose unlock data and such.

犬夜叉;779891 said:
I've been considering the idea of a file whitelist per mod in the future, however. That would also have the benefit of allowing you to add files that are whitelisted after the fact and not lose unlock data and such.
So i suppose we can trick this by giving it the filename in the whitelist (eg : rename scr_mysticrealm.wad to shadow.wad) without losing unlock data .. etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back