[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to start it from a folder without an md2.dat or md2 folder so that can't be it for me.

I've just found out that I can run it in software mode even though I've never had problems with any version of srb2 in opengl in the past.

Fawfulfan, try having a simple md2.dat, like one with just Sonic, Tails and Knuckles's data entered. I have a theory that it crashes because on an incorrect entry in MD2.dat. (such as, an entry with out a model, or random numbers.) I cannot check this myself yet, but it seems like that could be the issue.

It turns out for me that it was crashing because I didn't have a config.cfg file in the folder community build was in. As soon as I copied it over from my regular SRB2 folder it started working.

Confirmed not working on 7... >_<
A wierd thing, its working on XP...

I have windows 7 and it's working fine. You just have to make sure that you have a config.cfg and that all of the entries in your md2.dat actually have an md2 file in the md2 folder. After I did that it seems to be working without crashing on startup

Hey, one question... wouldn't it look better if instead of doing cartwheels when a character dies, they spin around to look at every camera angle so that you can see their face no matter if you're in analog?

1z1781y.png

This same problem with the crashing happens to me, but it only happens if md2.dat is in the folder. Otherwise, it runs fine. However, I wish to see the new model support!

BTW, the rest of this thing is epic, gonna start a level soon using A LOT of slopes. I just made a test wad, got a partially functioning loop, some cheating wall physics, throwing around, slides, corkscrews, crazy stuff with these slopes. But one question: How do you make slope FOFs show up properly? With mine, the slope angle is much lower than the control sector's, and it's stuck at 128 units off the ground and 128 units high, but it's only supposed to be 16 high and 32 off the ground.

I found out what causes the Md2.dat to crash, and it is what I said before.
IF THERE IS AN ENTRY IN MD2.DAT, THAT DOESN'T HAVE BOTH A MODEL AND TEXTURE FOR IT, THE GAME WILL CRASH.
and
Does anyone happen to know how to turn off the MD2 shadows?

rfQhQ.png

Because this is just silly. :P
I completely agree, it looks horrid and causes the game to lag due to over-rendering. hopefully we find a way to turn it off....

Didn't intend for all of these bugs to occur, I don't care about all the complaining because it's entirely possible for anyone to fix this themselves:

For anyone that actually cares enough to make an effort to fix this:
Code:
Install Code::Blocks

[URL]http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/10.05/Windows/codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe[/URL]

Learn how to compile regular SRB2 (you need to search google for using FMOD, OpenGL, DirectX and NASM with Code::Blocks, it sounds like a bunch of random words, but some other people that made exe mods for SRB2 might be able to help you with this)

Once you learn how to make your own custom version of regular SRB2, Download SRB2CB's source code [URL]http://www.mediafire.com/?7e79k1y2addzskr[/URL]

Once you have Code::Blocks setup to work with regular SRB2, unzip SRB2CB's source code and go into src->win32-> and double-click SRB2CB.cbp

Example of how to disable MD2 shadows:

Search the code for GL_DrawMD2Shadow 

after the first { after GL_DrawMD2Shadow(some *thing, boolean etc), type "return;"

So it should look something like:

void GL_DrawMD2Shadow(some *thing, boolean etc)
{
   return;
// lots of code still here
}

Then try compiling

Just about all of SRB2CB's bugs can be fixed if someone would take the time to port the rest of it to 2.0.6. Only the network code is updated to 2.0.6 right now.

It doesn't matter to me if it's updated to 2.0.6 because it already does what I want it to, so the rest is entirely up to you guys now if you want to change this project.

And if you think it's "too hard" to learn how to do this by yourself,
Like everyone else, when I wanted to add or fix something that was in SRB2, I knew absolutely nothing about coding, so I had to learn how to get what I needed so I could start coding, then I had to learn how to code, then learn how SRB2 worked, and since I wanted to make OpenGL work, I had to learn about rendering engines, then learn how OpenGL worked, then experiment through a very long process of trial and error.

I had always wanted slopes in SRB2, so I was determined enough to actually learn how to program and make it happen because this open source game gave me the chance to do that.

Now, you guys have it easy, if you want to see things fixed and working with the latest version of SRB2, all you have to do is copy and paste parts of SRB2CB's code in the right places in SRB2 2.0.6's code.

I'm not going to do that because I'm tired of this whining and complaining as if I owe you all something.

I don't owe you guys anything, you can't make demands. This is a free mod of a free game that was made just for fun. There's no need for this pointless drama of how things don't work, especially since you can fix it yourself if you really want to.

And, reality check: This is just a game.

Wow, I just got new version (I'm cOLD), and saw wavy.wad!

It's awesome! With this mod, who knows what we could make? We could make (gasp) rippling water! Like in CEZ, or DSZ, when you jump on those platforms that bob, they could ripple, too.

hopefully we find a way to turn it off....
I figured you were done (as the title is "Final Release") so I wasn't assuming you should fix it :p
But anyway, If I rely have to learn about coding just to remove the md2 shadows (something you could prob do in a couple minute :p) then I guess I will.
Your work into this mod was great, and I'm sorry to see you stopping it with hard feelings. Just remember that you did something many of us were to lazy to do, things I hope get into the next update of SRB2. I apologize if I said anything that sounded like a complaint.

CB Config Error

This Is after I used the SRB2CB.DTA file since i couldn't find a right IWAD for the Configuration settings in DB.

WARNING: Could not find required lump PLAYPAL

Im Not Sure what to do, mind if someone help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back