The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why it was originally planned as S3E8 when it was going to tie into S3E12.

Other than that, it was okay. Had some funny moments (like the blowdryer that Winona was put under), but ultimately not a whole lot happened of consequence.

Idiots like these make us look bad. :V

This isn't surprising in the slightest. Once and awhile that one person who attends these panels will raise their hand, spout out a ridiculous, idiotic, and/or completely inappropriate question which will eventually be pushed aside to move to the next (well thought out) question.

However, what doesn't help with this moment is that the fandom is represented by a majority of adult (male) fans. As soon as one of those fans say something unnecessary, foolish, and/or distasteful, it reflects a bad image for their community and the show. It's funny because this is an example of a topic that could have been shown in said documentary, but I'm sure the creators purposely left that out for obvious reasons :p

Last edited:
Episode 12 was the most disappointing episode I've ever seen.
They had no ideas, so they just remade 8 with the ponies' point of view instead of spikes.
It was okay, but it could have at least been something other than just episode 11 with the ponies' point of view.
Well, whatever, I'll just wait for episode 13.

Last edited:
Episode 11 was the Discord episode. You're thinking of Episode 8 (Spike pet-sitting, correct?).

And actually, that was the least of the episode's concerns - having two episodes that tied directly into each other was rather clever (although why they planned for three episodes in between is beyond my understanding). It's just the adventure in the Crystal Empire was... well, kinda dull, really. They let that "whoops we got the wrong pony" thing go on for way too long, introduced some kind of claustrophobia aspect to her that went absolutely nowhere, and had the Equestria Games administrator change her tune so fast that it reeked of Deus Ex Machina.

Actually, resolutions happening extremely abruptly have been a problem for a lot of this season... the Discord episode had it too. They did try to foreshadow it when he was surprised to be considered somebody's friend, but given that he seemed okay with losing that friendship for some jollies in one second and then suddenly snaps to "oh my God that'd be terrible" the next, it came across as very forced.

Proceeding others recently inquiring on the IRC (outside of SRB2) of my rationale for ceasing to have much interest in modern television shows, someone anonymously requested that I write a small review of the cartoon series, "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic". To my surprise, Hasbro was actually able to produce a decent show that gave me some hope for future cartoons and this was mostly why I decided to post here. Unlike the nostalgic cartoons prior to turn of the millennium, most recent cartoons appear to lack any form of quality control. Even classic cartoons of the past haven't gone unscathed from the changes of modern television. Unfortunately, even cartoons as innocent as "Scooby Doo" and "Pooh Bear" have been drastically affected over the years.

Prior to reviewing this show I though, long gone were the days where cartoons were created not to just entertain or educate, but to simultaneously accomplish both. Despite the small target audience (and some complications due this), it seems that the writers were still mostly successful in accomplishing this. This show has nice music, great voice acting, and good graphics as well as interesting plots. Even something as basic as having good graphics is generally lacking from modern shows as it seems everything that's not (regrettably) becoming reality based shows, is slowly moving towards quantity and away from quality. Comparing this to one of my favourite modern cartoons "Spongebob Squarepants", quite a few similarities arise. Unfortunately, unlike "Spongebob Squarepants", due to the gender barrier of society, one of the greatest strengths of the "My Little Pony" cartoon has also become it's greatest weakness. Also, this show suffers from it's origin being that of a way to boost sales of a child's toy that has long existed before the show. Just as some other recent cartoons such as Beyblade, Battle B-Daman, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, this cartoon will also likely suffer from the same fate in the long-term as well, and it's these reasons why I also somewhat despise the creation of this show. Although, it is this reason that the show will likely be around for several seasons yet to come, even when it starts to lose its popularity.

Despite this, I think once you look past the lack of balance between gender within the series, it's great television show that has the potential to teach kids of various important life lessons. Kids don't care whether the gender of the protagonists are male or female, they generally overlook this completely until someone says something to them regarding this. It's a shame with all of the advances of humanity, there's still a double standard here. According to society, it seems girls can now watch and do just about anything they want while boys are still expected to all act tough, only play with certain toys, and only watch shows generally only about aggressive (usually fighting) boys, men, or robots. Few have concerns anymore when a girl wants to watch a cartoon like "Transformers" (or something that has a target audience of boys), but it seems the opposite isn't true with this show. I suppose just like the progression of historic events, society is like a swinging pendulum in my view. Over the centuries as time passes, it will continue to go from one extreme to the other, slowing with each pass and ultimately trying to reach a neutral position that satisfies both sides. Only future generations long past our time will be able to judge and decide on the full outcomes.

Hopefully other writers for future kids cartoons will learn from cartoons like this. I highly recommend others to at least give this show a chance before judging it. Just as a reader shouldn't judge books based on their covers, people shouldn't judge the "My Little Pony" cartoon based on its opening credits. All I can recommend at this point for improving the series is for the writers to introduce more male character that have more than one line/word like Big McIntosh ("eYup") and for them to maybe consider altering the opening credits a bit.

For those interested, out of curiosity I decided to take the Jung Typology Personality test mentioned on posts 612 and 262 (http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=713179&postcount=262Pony) and I placed the result below. It seems it has been a while since anyone has posted any results here.

Results: iNTJ {Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(75%) Thinking(25%) Judging(78%)}

It recall correctly, I had a similar evaluation done in middle school which showed similar results, except that it was more elaborate; I just don't recall what it was called. Anyway, using the score sheet I guess I would be most similar to Princess Celestia, followed by Twilight Sparkle. I did a few other personality test that were mentioned around page 31 of this topic (now offline again) and they resulted in Twilight being the the most similar. I guess this makes sense since as iNTP is quite close to iNTJ and in the past I scored almost borderline between the two.

Contemplating the results, I've come to conclusion that the most probable reason I like the show is that I can relate to the protagonist, Twilight, before she makes friends. All throughout school I had exceptional grades was always too busy and never cared about socializing (and still don't much). Due to this, I never really had any friends until late high school when I finally made one. Unfortunately, after high school we went in our separate directions and never see each other since. I assume why most iNTJ and iNTP people can relate to the show so much is that it's hard for them to make friends, therefore they can easily relate to Twilight. As for other personality classifications, I can only hypothesize that they each have a character they see similar to themselves and/or like the show for some of the various reasons mentioned early.

Also to comment on the Bronies group that I've notice has gotten quite a bit of attention lately; I think it's overall it's a huge waste of time and that fiction should not be mixed with reality. I guess to be fair, every good television show has a fanbase and if it wasn't for them, companies would have a harder time gauging the success of their shows. Ironically, if it wasn't for them, we likely wouldn't have any of the personality tests or extras here either.

Last edited:
Few have concerns anymore when a girl wants to watch a cartoon like "Transformers" (or something that has a target audience of boys), but it seems the opposite isn't true with this show.

People would probably be cool with it a lot sooner if the male fanbase for the show stopped being as massively and obnoxiously perverted as it is. I've met a few outspoken "bronies" around my area, and so far, every single one of them is proud to announce on their facebook page for all to see, that they love My Little Pony Rule 34 and rapefics. If that isn't a terrible stereotype for any fanbase to have, I don't know what is.

I assume why most iNTJ and iNTP people can relate to the show so much is that it's hard for them to make friends, therefore they can easily relate to Twilight.

Very astute, and wholly accurate. The funny thing is, even the way your whole post was typed sounded like Twilight.

Magical Mystery Cure (Season Finale)

I have played this versions , long time ago.....

What?

Now then, about this episode...

I'm really unsure of how to treat this. In the beginning we see Twilight just straight up singing, then suddenly, Rarity with Rainbow Dash cutie mark. Obvious plot device in that everyone's cutie marks got hotswapped and now everything is up shit creek.

We see everyone having issues where's they've been placed, alright. Go on to see it all fixed because of true true friendship. Then what?

Well, Twilight grows wings, of course. That's the obvious one, hell, it's the only thing we've been hearing about since the inception of it on the MLP Facebook page, for god's sake.

One thing I can give it props for is music. Because wow, these were actually some good songs. Then again, I can almost immediately retract it for them having 5 or 6 songs play through the whole 22 minutes.

That time brings me to the next fault. It's a continuation for next season. Expected as a 3-parter, which we only got the first one. With how Hasbro seems to be working this out for DHX Media, season 4 seems like it'll be hard-pressed to stay with the witty abundant dialog and concepts of the past 3 seasons. It's like Hasbro is manipulating it again, and trying to re-roll the marketing ploys brought on by the first series. Surely with how FiM exploded the way it did, they have no need to force the marketing now, until you look at the money-grubber corporations like Electronic Arts and see "THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR MORE MONEY" and that factor doesn't matter.

I truly don't get this episode, though. There's no real lesson or moral values taught in the end, it's just this odd thing in the middle that is merely a placebo, and is reinforced by the shields of Twilight the Princess Alicorn of Magical Amicable Happiness.

Maybe that's the thing about it being a continuing story for season 4. Maybe they can drop a lesson bomb on us then. Do remember, the lessons are the foundations to these episodes, and without one, there's just a sort of silly drive to it that isn't needed. I hope we see this fixed then...
It's odd, I can like it, but I can't. And if you've seen the comments on EqD, we can see the bad is outweighing the good right now. Not fun for DHX or Hasbro.

I really liked the songs. Particularly the third and fifth songs (the overly depressing one and the CELESTIA SINGS OH MY GOD one). I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the music remixing community go nuts with all the variety.

The episode as a whole was really weak, though. "Oh no, something's wrong with their cutie marks!" "Oh look, putting ponies where they actually go fixes the problem." "Oh look, now I'm a princess." It feels more like an intro to an episode than an actual standalone episode, which might be what we end up getting if those rumblings from McCarthy's twitter are anything to go by. Still, the music made it worth watching alone.

Also I was watching it with a local group, so we had some good collective laughter over whatever visual gags popped up and whatnot. Even though one of the guys there kept taking my laptop and going through my browser history ;~;

From my perspective, Hasbro was on the precipice of failure with this season as they were beginning to exhaust the finite deviations on its theme (friendship is magic). Hopefully the finale was merely meant as a transition into season 4 rather than foreshadowing of what's to aggregate. Deciding to move on and temporarily cease production to concentrate on improvements for season 4 might have been a wise judgment call, especially after considering the numerous disappointments many had with the finale. As many have acknowledged, the finale greater resembled that of a musical as it contained an abundant amount of songs that nearly even surpassed the prior total for the season. To prosper, they'll need to regroup and analyze the successes and failures of past episodes in effort to thrive and constitute a successful continuing series. I'm confident though that the writers will manage to accomplish this at the expense of time.

Warning, season 4 release speculations below! (Now where did I put that flux capacitor?)
Just for amusement, I thought I'd make a public prediction by theorizing that season 4 won't be complete until around the end of the third quarter of this year. With coherence to typical cartoon production practices and patterns of past seasons, the release date likely won't be made public until just a few weeks before the first planned airdate around what will likely be September. At least, unlike season 3, season 4 has already been confirmed with 26 episodes.

MARCH UPDATE:
I forgot to take in to consideration that the spinoff series, "Equestria Girls" would also have to air sometime prior to this, so in turn, season 4 of My Little Pony likely won't air until early next year sometime.
I can hardly wait to see how far off my above predictions become and if the next public release of SRB2 (version 2.1) gets done prior to this or not.

Last edited:
Speaking of Season Finales... Swag.mov was released a few days ago. It concludes the hilarious Pony.mov series created by Max Gilardi. In case you haven't heard of it, you're in for a treat if you're a fan (or just vaguely knowledgeable) of MLP:FIM. I'm not going to link to it here, but it's up on YouTube if you want to see it.

Last edited:
Well, for some belated news for those not already aware, there's an enthusiasts exclusive episode under the name of "Double Rainboom" being composed under the leadership of Zach Rich. In contrast to other somewhat similar projects of the past, this one differs greatly in quality enough that it could potentially rival that of Hasbro. Their homepage can now be found at: "http://www.doublerainboom.com". Currently it's expected to be released on March 30th 2013, so it'll be interesting to see how this develops over the next few weeks. It'll be like an episode 14 to season 3 that happened prior to episode 13.

Also, the personality test at: "http://www.bronyland.com/pony-personality-test" mentioned here in the past has been restored again.

My Results
Again, somewhat interesting but also somewhat predictable outcomes, although it was a bit surprising that it remained this accurate with a test of these types of questions.

20011pnyresults.png

(It got it right here, I'm very anti-Rarity...)

(...and of course, most like Twilight Sparkle.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back