Dropbox is ending support for the Public folder on March 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster Iestyn

Fangtastic
Anyone around here who uses Dropbox as their file host probably got an email from Dropbox about this a few months ago. Basically, Dropbox will turn the "Public" folder (for those early adopters of Dropbox that still have it, like myself) for Basic account users into a private folder, and all URLs to files in it will be disabled. That date is almost among us now. As far as I'm aware, "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" links will no longer work either?

This'll mean a lot of old (and new) file links and images on this forum that aren't attachments will break. I'm personally not looking forward to scavenging through all my posts to fix those links.

Last edited:
So from what I'm understanding, anything from my Dropbox folder I make a shareable link for my friends will not work anymore?

No, Dropbox's proposed "alternative" to the old public folder style links is the share link system. Though going by the Dropbox forum's own thread regarding this, its users do not totally agree with this view.

Most I can tell anyway is direct links to images on the SRB2MB will be a little more awkward to put up; you need to change their shared links to use dl=1 or raw=1 and they'll work with

Okay I appear to be wrong about the dl.dropboxusercontent.com thing, apparently changing "www.dropbox.com" in the shared link URLs to "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" still works for showing images in posts/the wiki/etc, at least for now.

Otherwise yeah, ye old public folder is now a private folder as of writing. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back