Ask a Quick Question, Maybe Get An Answer Sometime

Boinciel

ヒトデのパンと不思議なジャム
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
This is the thread for all the general questions about unrelated topics that don't really warrant their own thread.

Stuff that might get an answer, stuff that could be easily solved by Googling, and stuff that is too obscure for most people to know all goes here and someone will probably answer.

Maybe.

Here's a sample question for someone out there to answer, although this one's more of an opinion question than anything: Is the RGB colour wheel or the standard red, yellow, and blue colour wheel a better colour palette to work with?

EDIT: Just to clarify, you don't have to answer the last person's question in order to ask your own, and you don't have to ask a question yourself.

Last edited:
Is the RGB colour wheel or the standard red, yellow, and blue colour wheel a better colour palette to work with?

I don't think I've ever switched away from RGB in any of my projects, but I can't imagine it would make any difference. Seems like largely a matter of preference.

Is Kirby Rainbow Curse worth buying? Deciding between it and Woolly World to have something to play with my girlfriend.

I don't think I've ever switched away from RGB in any of my projects, but I can't imagine it would make any difference. Seems like largely a matter of preference.

Is Kirby Rainbow Curse worth buying? Deciding between it and Woolly World to have something to play with my girlfriend.

If you like easy games, then sure. Rainbow Curse seems cute and creative, but it doesn't look like it presents a challenge at any point. Take this opinion with a grain of salt though, I've only watched playthroughs.

Is Python good to learn? I know it's useful but I don't know WHERE exactly it might come in handy.

I've never been able to get Python to work on my computer, but I often see it used for small cross-platform scripts. If writing your own visual novels appeals to you, Ren'py seems like a reasonable engine to use (requiring python scripting iirc).

Is Python good to learn? I know it's useful but I don't know WHERE exactly it might come in handy.

From what I know, Python is a pretty powerful alternative to compiled languages for writing simple programs. I don't know much about where it might come in handy though, all I know is that you have a lot of flexibility with it. That and that the syntax is kinda weird. Shouldn't be too hard to learn since you already know Lua.

That being said, someone please correct me if I'm making any mistakes here.

Here's a sample question for someone out there to answer, although this one's more of an opinion question than anything: Is the RGB colour wheel or the standard red, yellow, and blue colour wheel a better colour palette to work with?
Weird question, what are you using them for? RGB is an additive color model, RYB is subtractive- you can only use the former for digital work and you should only use the latter for physical work. Also, neither constitutes a "palette" so much as the entire gamut of usable colors, so they're both effectively equal. HSV is the most intuitive color model for painting.

I was under the impression Python was only useful for 3D rigging.

Last edited:
Digital, but the principle applies either way when viewing hue, saturation and value as separate components is key to understanding color. Loomis' Creative Illustration is the best book on the subject if anyone's curious

Weird question, what are you using them for? RGB is an additive color model, RYB is subtractive- you can only use the former for digital work and you should only use the latter for physical work. Also, neither constitutes a "palette" so much as the entire gamut of usable colors, so they're both effectively equal. HSV is the most intuitive color model for painting.

Physical media, but I'm not intending to use them for the creation of individual pieces of art. Rather, I want to apply colour theory to my daily life in an attempt to make the world around me and myself slightly more aesthetically pleasing. Small stuff like arrangement of certain colours of stuff in my room, etc.

Last edited:
Is it possible, for a user to ask an admin to remove a user account? Like, they know they're not going to use it, and they don't want it to be left there. Or, does it just have to left inactive?

Just leave it. If an user really don't wants the account anymore, he will not back again.

Wondering have I gone insane; to find the truth in front of me

how bad of an idea is it to eat a buffalo chicken hot pocket at 2:30 in the morning

Well for one thing staying up until 2:30 in the morning isn't recommended by sleep experts. Staying up late can cause fogginess and a permanent loss of brain cells. Second, eating Hot Pockets this late can cause fat storage late at night when your metabolism is slowing down, and the spike in blood sugar can cause disruption of sleep.

Now excuse me while I finish this bag of chips and try get to sleep before 3:30 my time.

Last edited:
PFF, that's nothing! I am gonna go eat a leftover pizza and go to bed before 5 am hopefully.

Eating just before you sleep can cause indigestion and possibly excess acid. Both will cause discomfort, and the latter can damage your stomach.

If I use "MT_RING|MT_SUPERRINGBOX" in a Hook for, say, ShouldDamage, would that work for checking both objects at once?

Code:
addHook("ShouldDamage", function(hurtplayer, hazard, shooter, uselessvar)
    if hurtplayer.ghost
        return false
    end
end, MT_RING|SUPERRINGBOX)

No, it wouldn't work. The reason why | makes sense with the object flags is that they're all powers of 2, which allows them to be combined together; object types aren't like this, on the other hand.

And anyway SRB2 would spout an error in the console saying "SUPERRINGBOX" is an undefined variable or something.

You would have to make two separate hooks, though they could both reference the same function.

Code:
local function hereIsTheFunctionName(hurtplayer, hazard, shooter, uselessvar)
    if hurtplayer.ghost
        return false
    end
end

addHook("ShouldDamage", hereIsTheFunctionName, MT_RING)
addHook("ShouldDamage", hereIsTheFunctionName, MT_SUPERRINGBOX)

Not through purely mapping, but you have three solutions, in order of increasing versatility:

• You can globally change the underwater timer in the MAINCFG block of an SOC lump to an infinite timer. Easy setup, but affects every map while loaded.
  • In Mario mode, there is no drowning. Easy to set up and adjustable per-map, but also comes with all of Mario Mode's other changes, so.
  • Use some sort of Lua scripting. Whether you look for a specific header value in the current map or a specific sector special for the player to be in, you can disable/speed up/slow down/etc the water timer for any water sector, for certain water sectors, at certain water heights, or only while the player is facing left. You'd have to figure out how to script whatever functionality you want.

----------------

How does one strive a good balance between work and play? Particularly once it gets hard to distinguish the work from the play. Asking for a friend.

I am using a Windows 7 laptop, a gateway NV79. I factory reset this not too long ago, and after I factory reset, nothing but the web browsers and Hamachi wanted to connect to the internet. And after I updated firefox, it couldn't connect. And now internet explorer isn't cooperating either. I'm using chrome. Skype doesn't connect, SRB2 doesn't connect, PokeMMO doesn't connect... steam connects, oddly enough. But the fact SKYPE, made by MICROSOFT, for MICROSOFT windows 7, raises a red flag there. I've tried everything. Firewall? It's passing them through, still won't connect. Proxy? I set it from medium-high to just medium, still won't connect. I could set it lower, but then it spooks me with saying the computer's insecure. Update windows? still won't connect. I can't for the life of me find the solution to the probem by googling. Can anyone help?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back