SRB2 Chrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole~

So I recently purchased a Chromebook, and that got me thinking a lot about the apps that can be made for it. So here's my question: Would it be possible to make SRB2 as an application or extension for the Chrome OS? This might sound pretty stupid, but I'm oblivious when it comes to computer programming. Also, clearly, I'm not asking anyone to make this, it's purely curiosity/speculation.

Considering that there have been successful ports of Doom for Chrome, I'm sure SRB2 could be ported if someone put the work into it.

That's pretty cool stuff, I'd definitely work on it...if I had the slightest clue what I was doing. I wasn't expecting anyone to be working on it currently, but thanks for the reply, I was curious as to the extent of things that could be done with this kind of OS.

This is why I never bought a chromebook. Yay windows laptop for me. <3
Anyway, I hear there is a team porting Minecraft to Chromebook, so I'm sure SRB2 could be ported easily. Wine might even be on the Chromebook, I don't know.

I have a Windows laptop also, it's just having some issues that make it a bit unpleasant to use so I bought a Chromebook as a temporary computer. As kind of an off-topic thing, if I were to attempt to port this, what kind of knowledge would I need?

For starters you would need to learn a bit of the C programming language. It would also be helpful if you were familiar with compiling SRB2 for platforms other than windows, such as linux.

Also, DOOM is one of the most widely ported games in the world.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_source_ports

It's even been ported to the Gameboy Advance. It's even been ported to graphing calculators. That's right, CALCULATORS.

Of course, SRB2 is slightly different and demands more computer power than DOOM.

Last edited:
Technically, Chrome OS is based on the UNIX kernel. Assuming the right knowledge is known, SRB2 could probably be given a straight port to it. Then again, we also look at the x86 v. ARM nature. The Chromebooks of recent are much more closed than before, with the intention being to make it Chrome and Chrome only. There DOES exist a distro named Cr OS Linux that bases itself on openSUSE.

In any regards, Furyhunter is getting work done on the SDL2 release of SRB2, and SDL2 is widespread in terms of device support. It means we'll even see a possible Android port (which is good thanks to the generation of the Nvidia Shield and game controllers that attach to the device, like the MOGA PowerA controller).

So, I'd say wait a little. Maybe even specify your Chromebook, since the right version could mean you'll have SRB2 in no time, barring a risk factor of course.

It's easier to install a proper version of Linux onto a Chromebook than to port SRB2 to ChromeOS. So easy anyone can do it.

1. Use this tutorial guide to install a proper Linux desktop in a chroot using Crouton. For the "-t" option, I suggest lxde if it's a valid option. If not, xfce will do the job. I cannot possibly recommend Unity on a chromebook; if you choose to install it, it will eat your framerate.

2. Download SRB2's installer executable from the main page, open it with the archive manager, extract the game data to a new folder, and download and extract the patch to the same folder.

3. Download the Linux executable for the latest version of SRB2 from here. Use Linux/Release/lsdlsrb2 for 32-bit and Linux64/amd64/Release/lsdlsrb2 for 64-bit. Use LInux/armel/Release/lsdlsrb2 for ARM.

4. [May not be necessary] Right click on lsdlsrb2 from the file manager, select Properties. In the permissions section of the dialog, ensure that you are allowed to execute it. Once this is done, you should be able to double-click lsdlsrb2 and have it run.

If there's a hangup at any step in this guide, post here and I'll get right back to you, no matter how stupid of a question you may think you have. Just keep in mind that I do not own a chromebook and have not tested this guide; yet at the same time I have no reason not to trust this guide.

EDIT: Removed the incorrect anti-arm content.

Last edited:
If you recompile SRB2 for ARM, why wouldn't it work? They're both little-endian CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back