Duty Calls: The Calm Before the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting
So here's the demo I'm sure we've been waiting a long, long time for.

That, or if your computer is lacking the seventeen sound cards, subwoofer, and 3 DVD drives, get a video of the full walkthrough right there!

So here's another one of those grim and gritty shooters we all love. Try the demo right now and you'll get a free DLC code that unlocks a green tinted helmet!

Damn, I love People Can Fly and their marketing team. Have to admit I'm kind of curious to see if Activision strikes back with something, but they don't strike me as the kind of people who would have the sense of humor to.

This doesn't help the Bulletstorm team from making it seem like their demo was absolute shit.

And it feels like they released this game just to make up from it.

Well, there WAS a need to parodize Call of Duty´s ridiculous level up system, seriously, becoming a 5 Star General Commander having infiniteley higher death rate than kill rate is just stupid.

Bulletstorm didn't feel as creative or different as it was advertised just from playing the demo. The full game probably has enough added features that there's more variety, but still.

What? The Bulletstorm demo is as fun and as addictive as a demo can get without having the words "Tony Hawk's" in the title.

By creativity I thought they meant creativeness, not just spam kick/slide in the enemies gene direction. You also can't die unless you stand still, which also runs the fun of it being, you know, hard(Unless you want to get a high score or something)

I guess this is my ranting at how my friend was saying at how awesome the demo was, then once I finally spent 3 hours downloading it(on my shit connection), it ends up being nowhere near as great as he'd hyped it to be.

By creativity I thought they meant creativeness, not just spam kick/slide in the enemies gene direction.

Well, stuff like this and a few other games like Skate 3 and LittleBigPlanet are only about as creative as you make it. The game's more about the skillshots than the actual difficulty of the game. You can just run in and shoot the hell out of everything, but the idea is to wrap an explosive around them, bring one or two more guys closer to the dickhead that's wrapped in it, then detonate it. While they're on fire. And in mid-air. If you're not trying your hardest to pull off shit like this, you're missing the point of the game.

I like the part where Fox News assumes that M-rated games are primarily marketed toward nine-year-olds.

Protip: nine-year-olds will continue to get their hands on M-rated games, just like they can get their hands on R-rated movies, etc. If you make it harder for them to get something, they'll just want it more... haven't people figured this out by now?

Protip: nine-year-olds will continue to get their hands on M-rated games, just like they can get their hands on R-rated movies, etc.

Well, I´m not exactly a 9 year old, but in my country, T, M, rated Video Games, "violent" toys, and C rated movies are ilegal (Movies are rated on A, B and C). Anyone distributing and using it gets 3 years on jail (I´m not making this up, Google "Ley de Juegos y Juguetes Bélicos" if you know spanish.

Still, ever since then, I´ve gotten: Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Darksiders, Black Ops, Legacy of Kain Defiance, Need for Speed Undercover and Silent Hill: Homecoming, plus, seen countless C rated movies, like Saw, Hostel, Hour 0 and so on...

Altrough this not having affected me doesn´t mean it won´t affect United States civillians, as in my case, I live in a fucking Anarchic country, however, I still think 9 year old´s population won´t drop only because of this law, or in it´s defect, not much...

By creativity I thought they meant creativeness, not just spam kick/slide in the enemies gene direction. You also can't die unless you stand still, which also runs the fun of it being, you know, hard(Unless you want to get a high score or something)

I guess this is my ranting at how my friend was saying at how awesome the demo was, then once I finally spent 3 hours downloading it(on my shit connection), it ends up being nowhere near as great as he'd hyped it to be.
Well, I picked up Bulletstorm the other day and I'm quite surprised. It isn't as piss easy as the demo, as it carries a difficulty system and it isn't exactly a cakewalk on normal(I've died a few times throughout campaign, didn't die once in the demo) And if you want it to be great, you have to MAKE IT great. Use your creativity to find yourself new ways to kill(like how you can shoot a guy in the balls and kick his head off) you can always use the environment to your advantage though. You can't just kick every enemy till their inevitable death, you need to earn skillpoints to further improve your score. Skillshots ultimately boost this process and in the full game, these points can be used as money to restock weapons and buy new ones in Anarchy mode. If you don't wanna use creativity, don't play this game.

Man, I've got to say... after what I've been hearing about Bulletstorm, I'm pretty disappointed. I'll still probably try this game out, but it's dropped from a 'MUST BUY' to a 'Gamefly ASAP'. I think we were all expecting a glorious return to 90's style FPSes, and this is... well, not. At all. Keep in mind that this is all opinions I've heard from other people, so grain of salt and all that.

The game still looks like a lot of fun, and I've heard some really good things about the multiplayer. The problems tend to stem more from its story than the gameplay, is the thing. There's WAY too much story for this kind of game. There's lots of cutscenes and places where you need to slow down and listen to your teammates talk. The game also has a REALLY tough time deciding if it wants to take itself seriously or not, as it flipflops from 'robot dinosaurs and DICKTITS' to 'the evil general made us kill INNOCENT PEOPLE'.

The worst part is that (spoilers ahead)
there's only one real boss fight in the game, you fight the main bad guy through one long QTE, you don't kill him, and the game ends on a sequel hook.

So, yeah... it's no Painkiller. Still, though, hopefully if there's a sequel, they'll do a TON of improving to the non-gameplay bits. Whenever I actually get to play the game, which should hopefully be soon, I'll go into the gameplay more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back