• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[SUGOI 2] Sonic Uncovers Banning And Realizes Anime Spoilers Hurt Intricate Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sonic's Volcano Nightmare" Magma Peaks Zone: Oh boy, this stage needs work.
issue 1: out of the gate, we got lava you can stand on and you can easily step in it before you know to jump.
Issue 2:
srb20051_3.png
All that red in the area makes it hard to see the Crawla and the Red Spring. (Not pictured) This left me wondering how Sonic was suppose to get up there.

3:
srb20052_2.png

The Snow FOF's are causing a visibility problem. Either lower them, or remove them because who want's to be hit by invisible badniks?

4:
srb20053_2.png
Needs no comment

5:
srb20055_3.png
I have no idea what happened here, but you somehow managed to get a mostly invisible wall here. The top has a texture, but not the rest of it.

6: the lava seen in the picture above is now a death pit. At least it's a different lava texture at least

"Sonic's Volcano Nightmare" Magma Peaks Zone: Oh boy, this stage needs work.
issue 1: out of the gate, we got lava you can stand on and you can easily step in it before you know to jump.
Issue 2:
srb20051_3.png
All that red in the area makes it hard to see the Crawla and the Red Spring. (Not pictured) This left me wondering how Sonic was suppose to get up there.

3:
srb20052_2.png

The Snow FOF's are causing a visibility problem. Either lower them, or remove them because who want's to be hit by invisible badniks?

4:
srb20053_2.png
Needs no comment

5:
srb20055_3.png
I have no idea what happened here, but you somehow managed to get a mostly invisible wall here. The top has a texture, but not the rest of it.

6: the lava seen in the picture above is now a death pit. At least it's a different lava texture at least
Oops I submitted the wrong version :O
The new version is here. Your arguments are invalid.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

I really am a noob

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

So for adding plain old collectible emblems in my map, do I just place those items in the desired spots and that's it? Or do I have to add any data into my maincfg? Also I can't seem to find the emblems in the items list in ZB.
The wiki has a tutorial. You must use the MainCFG.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

srb20001.png
Download: http://www.jmstark.net/SRB2Sugoi2/sc...ationaerie.wad
Title: Illumination Aerie Zone
Credits: Everything is credited to me, JMRante, besides the music, which was found here: https://modarchive.org/index.php?req...id&query=57733
Maintainer Notes: This was a great excuse to play around with SRB2 again and go crazy with custom textures. Haven't made a level in years, (since 2011), so let me know if I'm doing things that are old/bad practice. Another thing to look out for is getting lost; the last SP map I made people easily got lost in and in this one I've tried to avoid that in the design, but it is hard to predict player psychology all the time. Slopes, skyboxes, and polyobjects are pretty fun toys! This map is a bit messy and might also have some performance/rendering issues; I've been testing on a 6700k for software, so let me know if this map is laggy for those on laptop/older desktops.
...You have set a standard. I LOVE THIS LEVEL! It has amazing replayability value and supermassive effort put into it. If only all official levels could be like this...
This level is not without its flaws, however.
1) The emblems are well hidden -- too well if you can't access the Emblem Hints.
2) Some slope sections are punishing (maybe add more slopes or even smooth ground?)
3) The Unidus/Red Buzz tunnel has too many of the aforementioned enemies. Cut down the amount of Unidi by a ton because it's already gonna be crowded if you have one every three Buzzes. There are also too many Red Buzzes because having one by every ceiling height change is just overkill. They're red! Gold Buzzes would be more appropriate or maybe just cutting down the amount of Buzzes.
4) Too easy to get lost (especially in the cyan temple). An easy way to fix this is to add ring arrows.
I've played this three times now and I might do it again :D
Great level overall. If you could just improve this then you may have one of, if not the best level(s) in all of SUBARASHII.

Last edited:
I guess i wont be able to make 2nd stage maybe because im having some problems at my pc, il try and find another pc so i can make a 2nd stage

So for adding plain old collectible emblems in my map, do I just place those items in the desired spots and that's it? Or do I have to add any data into my maincfg? Also I can't seem to find the emblems in the items list in ZB.

Have you never placed emblems in maps before, or has it been too long? As long as I can remember you've always had to use SOC (read: yes you have to add your data to the MAINCFG) to place emblems. =P This page and section should help: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Custom_unlockables_and_emblems#Map-specific_emblems

Though sometimes people use those NiGHTS Wings as placeholders, since for some reason they've always looked just like emblems.

I've never placed emblems before! I've been using the NiGHTS Wings as placeholders, yeah :)

So I made some changes to this stage based on recommendations from Ice and Aquatic Hinote. Most importantly, the first curved slope on the cliff side path no longer launches the player into a bottomless pit. Good catch there Ice! Big problem.

I've tried to address both the suggestion to replace 1-ups with emblems and the emblem difficulty comments with an additional three character emblems. For example, there are now two Sonic emblems, one easy and one hard. Hopefully this is a good compromise.

Some of the enemy placement has been toned down and tweaked, but not too much since my intention is to make a stage on the difficulty level of a zone 5 or 6 in a full game. As well, I located three spots in the temple ruins where it is ambiguous as to where the player should go. Unfortunately the level geometry at these spots cannot be too radically changed without major work, so instead of directing the player with something really clever I just put down some arrows made of tiles on the floor to point the right way.

Thanks for the great feedback so far guys!

Green Flowers Zone complete!

lAoA0bu.png

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/04pbva7gstgy2vn/scrmt_greenflowerszone.wad?dl=0
Title: Green Flowers Zone
Credits: Credit to White T.U for helping me out with some problems, Manimi for the boss used in Act 4.
Maintainer Notes: No emblems due to unknown problems. Has Match and Tag support, that's why some springs are placed and the zoomtube in Act 1 goes both ways. Uses Sapheros' S3K Shields. Short and simple. Good for a first level, maybe?

Magma Peaks: Definite improvements, but some points remain. such as that starting point and the red stuff blending together. Knuckles has his own exit, but for some reason is able to access the one sonic and tails can by means of a climbable wall.
The death pit issue with the LRZ Lava actually rears its head on Knuckles' path too, especially since the bustable wall is soo big, the rocks don't get out of the way in time.

Also I think the dev's may have an issue with Knuckles' wall climb ability.

Attachments

• srb20056.png
    srb20056.png
    240 KB · Views: 277
  • srb20063.png
    srb20063.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 286
Magma Peaks: Definite improvements, but some points remain. such as that starting point and the red stuff blending together. Knuckles has his own exit, but for some reason is able to access the one sonic and tails can by means of a climbable wall.
The death pit issue with the LRZ Lava actually rears its head on Knuckles' path too, especially since the bustable wall is soo big, the rocks don't get out of the way in time.

How in the world did you even get there?

Actually, the Crawla started as two Unidi (overkill) which then became one Unidus (ruins perfect runs). I made it a Red Crawla because I felt that Blue Crawlas aren't fast enough so... not much way to improve this...?
I tried removing the death pit lava but I couldn't because whenever I tried to fix the Puma Bridge Of Death, my Workbench kept crashing O_O
So I kept it. The different texture is there to let the player know that this lava is not the same. And the issue with Knuckles in Sonic's path, I found out because you can spindash up that slope. ._.
I'll definitely fix the Knuckles path issues but I don't think the rest is so easily fixed.
EDIT: The way Boinciel figured it made it so that I can't remove the slopes easily O_O
I need to make it so that either KTE can't get up or so that all characters can access both.

Last edited:
It's over, You've won, But with this, We can continue our work....

Title : Mix it all together.
Music : High and Broken - S&SR
Link : https://www.mediafire.com/?z16xthnjarle3b1
Notes : So much Slopes, use them to reach higher platforms, or to gain Speed.

Well, it was an alright level, up until I ran into some problems that immediately need to be ironed out. I did all of my testing in Software Mode.

1) Right off the bat, the game is telling me that you have a few reversed FOFs(2 and 5), so you should reverse the floor/height values on those control sectors to fix the problem.(Or if it's a gravity control sector, just make the ceiling higher than the floor.)

2)The first problem is the very first ramp over the pit in the cave past the Pointy enemies. The pit and camera is situated in a way that you cannot see over the ramp that leads over it until you're already in mid-jump and dying to it; try putting down some exclamation signs or something to warn the player that it's a hazard.

3)The second thing I noticed was that your long slope chutes mess with the wall perspective something fierce in Software, so I'd suggest making a thok barrier on the side walls to minimize the issue.

4a)The room with the sloped blocks jutting out of the lava needs a bit of attention. The pit messes with the camera if you get too close, so either make it sector type 7 or lower the pit away from the player so it's not just a touch away.

4b)The spindashing off of the slopes is a fine technical skill to map for, but don't put them out of sight around a corner where you could easily overshoot it and die on your first time!

5) The last and biggest problem was the teleport to 2D. Sometimes it will transport you off the track and straight into a pit. Trying again caused it to go to 2D, but switched the controls to free reign analog mode?? This causes a crash over the first pit you try and jump over, so I did not complete the level either way.

Opening it up in SLADE and selecting the music track causes SLADE to crash, hilariously enough.

Attachments

• srb20029.png
    srb20029.png
    134 KB · Views: 284
  • srb20033.png
    srb20033.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 256
Thanks for the Criticism, I have fixed the camera issue on the volcano section, and FOF heights issue, I also placed some danger sign before the Pit after the slope, as for 2D camera, I Intentionally did that using a script, So it's not because of teleport, However i increased the camera distance and made the platforms easier to reach to sort of solve the problem.

I Have also added a Thok Barrier to the long slope after the GHZ themed section so this should minimize the walls issue, And for the soundtrack not playing on Slade3, It might be just you because it works fine for me, But it doesn't matter as long as it works fine ingame.

That said, I have adressed most of the issues you mentioned, Link updated in the original post.

Last edited:
Right now ive got some free time so i will work on my level.

Dont forget in this christmas you should spend some time with your family: Me and the Srb2 message board.

Last edited:
Download: Attached.
Title: Atlantis.
Credits: Uses SRB2 Asset Pack and Freedoom textures. Credits are contained in a lump inside the map.
Maintainer Notes: Useful maintenance info is inside the Credit lump.

Attachments

• MapPreview.jpg
    MapPreview.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Atlantis.zip
    972.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back