May/June 2010 Contest Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My review.

Canyon Operation 5/10: Not bad. Good flow. Textures need improvement. Show signs on where to go.

starlit city 8/10: A nice level. Did I play this before?

metropolis sprint 10/10: A fun level. Felt like a city. No complaints

cyber gauntlet: 2/10: A spring fest. It is too hard too. Nothing too see here.

dangerous volcano 7/10: A fine level. Start area is useless. Lava rises too fast.

buzzards bay 10+++: Its my level. Duh. The patch will come be released in a few days...

An instrumental song that fits the motion and theme of the level. I don't know what the song you just mentioned is, so I can't comment further.

Also, apparently, I'm one of only a few people that weren't lame enough not to complete Cyber Gauntlet. How can you rate it 2 and give a half-assed level like Starlit City a 6? What, are you using the shitty keyboard setup SRB2 starts you out with, so jumping on springs is "too difficult" because you don't know how to strafe? I don't get it.

Alright listen. its okay if you think it sucks, some of the people who actually got past the blue part actually had valid reasons why they didnt like it. so to all you out there who called it a spring-fest: dont judge the dang level because you cant get past the blue part!

Match:
MAPM1 - Diamond Blizzard Zone - 7/10
The map felt rather balanced with a good assortment of paths for Tails and Knuckles to take. The rooms however did not have much to tell them apart sometimes, which takes away from the overall direction.

MAPM2 - Coastal Cavern - 4/10
While it was playable, there certainly didn't seem to be as much purpose to the outer area as the interior and the hill. Additionally, this map threw Tails rings everywhere without any sort of organization.

MAPM3 - Citrus Foyer Zone - 2/10
It was completely unplayable in lag. A horde of rings in little squares along with weapons just made some of it luck based, and the rest just didn't feel right when all the weapons were in the same place.

MAPM4 - Lost Paradise Zone - 3/10
I'm sure this had some really excellent areas, but its hard to tell when none of the players could find one another. I did not go in any one area twice, and normally only found one combatant at a time.

CTF:
MAPF1 - Freezing Flame Zone - 4/10
The bases were frustratingly open. The textures felt a little erratic and might have made it a tad difficult for me to find my way around.

MAPF2 - Wellspring Keep Zone - 5/10
The map felt pretty generic, though the visuals were decent. It seemed absurd that the flag was hidden out of the way by the well and that the button was alone up there. It was also unreliable, and finding your way with the door closed is impossible until you've already come out that way. The center of the map was decent though, even though it reminded me a bit of that one bridge level from Jazzattack.

MAPF3 - Radiant Cavern - 6/10
The visuals of this map were stunning. I normally get annoyed by maps that try so hard to have different visuals on either side, but at least it looked good here. I did not really see much use in the center's depths, I think it should have probably been a little more accessible.The bases had an interesting layout while keeping consistent with the theme. However, the room with the flag itself was a little tight and I found myself getting stuck there during lag.
On my monitor everything was visible in the bases though, so it wasn't a big deal... though it'd probably be best to do away with the colormaps because when you have a large audience you want to make sure that the one with the worst display can still play fine.

MAPF4 - Climate Chaos Zone - 4/10
Utterly generic. It was also way too open for the gameplay to feel properly organized.

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Grassy Cliffs Zone - 2/10
The invisible walls made me wonder why there was springs and such above the level which made me expect a tails path. I kept getting lost because of the invisible walls and the misleading arrows, but when I found out there was only one starpost, I just flew back and forth over the cliff.

MAPR2 - Tidal Cave - 4/10
The level was a little bit cramped, but it was playable up until the waterslide. If the whole level were made just a tad more open, it would have been much better.

MAPR3 - Iron Aquarium Zone - 5/10
The level had some pretty good eye-candy, but it ran a bit long and the steam at the beginning is very easy to mess up. Particularly annoying is the fact that there is a space between the water and the wall which isn't clear until after you've already overshot the landing.

I find it hilarious how close the CTF division is this time. Actually, it's so close that Cinefast and me could win just by lowering our scores for Radiant Cavern. Not that we plan on doing that, but it shows just how open the outcome is. The margin between the first place and the third place is not even half a point.

That being said, I still need to finish my Race votes (which incidentally will swap the first and second place).

Quite honestly, SC, I read your voting and I disagree with your saying Iron Aquarium isn't a thokfest. Granted, it's not entirely a thokfest, but the underwater parts are uninteresting, because they're just thokking straight to the next area. (And pointing it in a specific direction doesn't make it not a thokfest. Sonic Circuit had turns, does that make it not a thokfest? :P)

Match

Diamond Blizzard Zone - 10/10
Whooo, I like this level alot.

Coastal Cavern - 6/10

Citrus Foyer Zone - 2/10
Bullet Ball is better than this one.

Lost Paradise Zone - 3/10
This level is sure lost all right, if ya know what I mean. *wink*

CTF

Freezing Flame Zone - 3/10

Wellspring Keep Zone - 7/10

Radiant Cavern - 10/10
OH MY GOSH. This level is just pure awesome. Stunning visuals and excellent lighting effects.

Climate Chaos Zone - 4/10
I liked Storm Temple better. Seriously, no joke.

Race

Grassy Cliffs Zone - 1/10
Whoa, short level.

Tidal Cave - 6/10

Iron Aquarium Zone - 5/10
Undeaf'd rings much?

Race

Whoa, short level.

You didn't like it just because it was short? Or would you care to elaborate?
Actually, never mind, I already know why my level sucks. But some people like when people go into more detail in their reviews.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Is it over?

Is what over? The reviews? I don't think so.

Every contest, this happens. 7:00 EST hits and someone has to mention "the results are running late boo-hoo". It's actually kind of annoying.

FF has a life, and sometimes life gets in the way of getting everything done on time. Just relaaaaax.

I know these are late, but just posting them in case they get counted.

MAPR1 - Grassy Cliffs Zone by AndyMan123 - 3/10
Lots of confusing invisible walls. Also pretty short.

MAPR3 - Iron Aquarium Zone by Zap610 7/10
I love the detail but the rings are not deafed and the room with all the crushers as scenery was confusing. (because I thought I needed to go past them)

Need I remind people that the voting doesn't truly end until the moment FuriousFox gets back in here and says he's tallying things up? The date he specifies is just a guideline.

And on that note, razor-quick Race votes since I didn't think to do it before:

MAPR1 - Grassy Cliffs Zone - 1/10
Okay, seriously, we need a two starpost minimum. Having only one starpost virtually guarantees shortcuts in your map.

Speaking of shortcuts, they're all over the place here. Also, the rest of the map's a total mess too.

MAPR2 - Tidal Cave - 7/10
Hey, it's playable and pretty fun! Me likey.

MAPR3 - Iron Aquarium Zone - 4/10
Ugh. Please, make the directions after the first starpost a bit more obvious. The first time me and my little group of people played this, we got stuck and thought we had to navigate through the crushers.

Last edited:
Really, those arrows are kinda unneeded. Just put some glass around the crushers and it should magically become much more intuitive.

also, matt, did you find the computer room

Last edited:
Wow, so much for summer break resulting in a better turnout!

I wasn't planning on it, but real quick multi votes:

MATCH
Diamond Blizzard Zone - 6/10
Very pretty, very much potential, very problematic. It desperately could stand to be shrunk or have some redundant areas cut, and maybe a little better texture variation. Way too much auto ammo (my immedeate thought: Mystic will eat this place up).

Coastal Cavern Zone - 7/10
Underrated. It's kinda plain, but decently balanced and I had a hell of a lot of fun with it. Panel placement needs to be shuffled a bit as most people tend to hang out around the SRM on the hill. BTW:

xsrb0008.png

ffffffffff

(and that score was achieved with a dialup connection, c-lag, and not using mouselook)

Citrus Foyer Zone - 2/10
1 point for playability, 1 pity point for being somewhat amusing. Stop submitting these.

Lost Paradise Zone - 5/10
Not really sure what to judge this since it's more or less a betatest, but it wasn't terrible for a big map. A group of 4-5 players was able to get relatively decent scores in 5 minutes, though I wouldn't try it in team match. But then, I had more fun with Astray Canopy a couple contests ago. If a Sonic player goes for the SRM in that giant pit, they can't escape.

CTF
Freezing Flame Zone - 4/10
Annoying bases and fairly blah layout. I've played decent fire+ice maps and this isn't one of them. Knux users don't seem to stand much of a chance here except to spam bounce in the chokepoints. Nice of the flag to always return in the "nasty goop", at least.

Wellspring Keep Zone - 5/10
The bases are, well, different, but just not laid out effectively and they are built to camp in. Every game on this place takes forever as a result, and it kind of undermines the lava/glass wall gimmick to make the flag easily reached with or without it activated. Two rail panels overlooking a big open space in the middle is a baaaaaad idea as anybody who wanders across the bridge with the flag is, half the time, dead meat. There's potential here, but you have some learnin' to do about layout.

Radiant Cavern Zone - 6/10
Not one of your better maps, but pretty decent. Maybe brighten the caves a little bit but, it's not such a collassal problem now that you can put the crosshair on people to identify their team. My only major concerns are that there's a little too much bounce ammo and the stage is hella cramped - if not for the latter this would be a 7. Middle area needs some serious expansion.

Climate Chaos Zone - 3/10
Weak. For all that excess (unnecessary) space, it's a thokfest - the path between the flags is an almost unobstructed straight line. Theme and lack of lag/insanity aside, I don't see how this is much better than Storm Temple. Scrap the "ruins" base (whichever color that was) and do something interesting with the treetop environment of the other one on both sides - better yet, throw out most of the layout altogether. Tons of missing sidedefs BTW.

CIRCUIT
Arbitrary invisible barriers thrown down to screw people up != level design. I second the two-post minimum.

Tidal Cave Zone - 7/10
Now this is a real race map. It's a little bit evil with the death drops, and there's some runoff areas that need to be dealt with (namely that stupid bit on the right at the start that you can fall into and ruin your chances of winning), but this is good stuff and pretty too. Best map this contest.

Iron Aquarium Zone - 3/10
I realize this is a first-timer map but it flat sucks. The steam vent bit isn't intuitive at all, the first underwater room is a deluge of lag, and most of the map is an excessively large thokfest. All the scenery effort in the world (for which i'm throwing an extra point) goes to waste if the thing is no fun.

Last edited:
Dangerous Volcano Zone by Internet Explorer: 6/10

This level is very linear. The beginning was not a good idea because it takes too long
to play the actual level.

Throughout the level I see great gimmick ideas but the level design needs some work. The rising lava would have moved too fast if the person thought they had to use the diagonal spring to get to the next area, there was no real use for the spring except getting that one moniter which is confusing. Knowing to get to the next room in the second rising lava section is another story, it is not easy to tell where you have to go and what is a wall because the same textures look like a wall from where you start, the opening should be more distinguishable. The lava should not be slime in diguise and be very deep in the sections where you can recover from falling in, it makes it almost impossible to get especially if you can not find a spring in time. The blue color map is very hard to see in. The 2D section was fun to go through, but the only suggestion I would make is to make the diagonal springs zoom tubes because there is a chance where people actually may not be exactly where they should to continue to the end of the level.

Overall it was a level with great ideas, but seemed very cramped, linear, and confusing at times.

Buzzards Bay Zone Act 1 by WEREHOG: 3/10

Is an improvement over last contest, but a lot of the level is cramped and crowded. Also try to make some hallways and platforms a bit larger like the beginning for example, a lot of them are a too small.

Canyon Operation Zone by ComRante: 4/10

Starlit City by Brawl: 3/10

This level is an improvement over
Metropolis Sprint Zone by Whackjood: 5/10
Cyber Gauntlet by verifiaman: 7/10

I really enjoyed this type of stage, it was fun and challenging but felt too short (220 tics to spare on the water slide section).
A suggestion would be to add more ideas on to the spring and rope hang section a little bit more, they were the shortest parts of the level.

Do not have enough time to rate and comment on the rest of the levels, but overall this contest was on par with the first one that 2.0+ had except a bit better or worse in my opinion.

What happened to the Single Player levels overall in this contest? They were neither terrible nor completely terrible but they were a bit better in previous contests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back