Unknown zone names in Demo 3's SRB2.srb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandwichface

Trash Bin connoisseur
19456missing zones.png

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but hey, it's worth a shot.

I got bored and was looking through Demo 3's SRB2.srb using SLADE and came across these. What were these zones supposed to be? Secret levels? Deleted single player levels? Images taken from SLADE's sprite viewer (and then professionally edited in MS Paint).

19456missing zones.png

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but hey, it's worth a shot.

I got bored and was looking through Demo 3's SRB2.srb using SLADE and came across these. What were these zones supposed to be? Secret levels? Deleted single player levels? Images taken from SLADE's sprite viewer (and then professionally edited in MS Paint).

I am not sure what the other ones are, but hidden palace is a secret level.

I think you stumbled upon some old (or not so old?) secret level concepts for SRB2. Fun fact: The devs have revealed that there is a secret stage in the works that's abbreviated "STZ". Make of that what you will.

I think you stumbled upon some old (or not so old?) secret level concepts for SRB2. Fun fact: The devs have revealed that there is a secret stage in the works that's abbreviated "STZ". Make of that what you will.

Stz. That might be Sweet Tooth zone. A map about a tooth.
Okay, sure.

I immediately thought of Twisted Metal when I saw Sweet Tooth Zone...I suppose a candy-based level would make more sense for a Sonic game.

Well, we all know Hidden Palace and Egg factory. If I didn't know better, I would say they MIGHT be future zones. Freak show...

I can confirm there was a Hidden palace zone made during the demo 2 era. How this was confirmed was SNN Tails released the level along with a very WIP Speed Highway after I asked about the secret exits on Beta Deep sea and Rocky Mountain.

it's unknown if Hidden palace or any of these zones may return.

I can confirm there was a Hidden palace zone made during the demo 2 era. How this was confirmed was SNN Tails released the level along with a very WIP Speed Highway after I asked about the secret exits on Beta Deep sea and Rocky Mountain.

it's unknown if Hidden palace or any of these zones may return.

Yes. I played your "The Past" wad. What I am wondering if there are still plans for these maps?

I immediately thought of Twisted Metal when I saw Sweet Tooth Zone...I suppose a candy-based level would make more sense for a Sonic game.

There already is, actually. There's Sweet Mountain in Sonic Colors which is what Kirdlord23 stated earlier.
One of my favourites!

Crystal Caves might explain why we have crystal textures in SRB2. It could have been because of that! I find it quite odd why these level names were planned when the full game and all it's levels was planned before SRB1 was in development. So I kind of want to rule out that theory and start to theorize that they were experiments in mapping by our old friend SSNTails or someone else in the developer team and improving their skills/finding ways to improve SRB2. I'm assuming Egg Factory would have a lot of, say, conveyor belts. Crystal Cave might have falling crystals (They are much more fragile than you may think!) Sweet Tooth and Freak Show might have their own group of stuff that might not have been possible at the time. That's my thoughts, anyway.

Last edited:
What horrors lurk within the deepest recesses of this seemingly innocuous "technicolor animals running" game? Bizarre prototype worlds not meant for exploration? Monstrous badniks too powerful to fight? Things like this? Oh, the humanity!

I don't think anything can top O_MAP20M.ogg, though.

also I don't know if the eggman door is actually unused or not but it's still hellishly ugly either way

Last edited:
Am I allowed to talk about this?
Mystic's in Japan right now, so I guess I'll just act in his stead and talk about it.

• Sweet Tooth Zone: A zone wherein you play on a giant set of teeth as the creature whose teeth you're on inhales tons of candy, chewing repeatedly. You have to dodge his teeth coming together inside cavities and missing teeth, but watch out for plaque, which will attack you, and gum, which you briefly get stuck in, leaving yourself vulnerable to being crushed by teeth.
  • Crystal Cave: A 1:1 remake of the Apogee classic.
  • Hidden Palace: A remake of the Sonic 3&K stage. Knuckles's version, specifically, which can be completed in five seconds. What, you thought it was the Sonic 2 one? You naive fool.
  • Eggfactory: You get to visit a dairy farm and gather the eggs to put into a carton to be shipped off for sale. Basically an Emerald Hunt stage.
  • Slime Valley: An old idea for Techno Hill Zone. We debated which name to give it, before ultimately settling on Techno Hill - however, we already had graphics made for Slime Valley at this point, and figured "eh, maybe somebody'll make a stage for this" and left it in. Obviously, that didn't pan out, and the graphics are gone now.
  • Freak Show: Remember Zim's Base? Right, well, this was a bonus stage based on Freakazoid!, which is the best show based on a freak ever made, obviously. Don't count on seeing it any time soon.
And that's all she wrote.

LightSpeedX said:
Don't see why not... unless the devs have something to hide...

Well, this kind of concerns stuff that no longer applies AND stuff that's actually in development.

also I don't know if the eggman door is actually unused or not but it's still hellishly ugly either way

Haah, that's a texture made from an InstantSonic sketch.

Mystic's in Japan right now, so I guess I'll just act in his stead and talk about it.

• Sweet Tooth Zone: A zone wherein you play on a giant set of teeth as the creature whose teeth you're on inhales tons of candy, chewing repeatedly. You have to dodge his teeth coming together inside cavities and missing teeth, but watch out for plaque, which will attack you, and gum, which you briefly get stuck in, leaving yourself vulnerable to being crushed by teeth.
  • Crystal Cave: A 1:1 remake of the Apogee classic.
  • Hidden Palace: A remake of the Sonic 3&K stage. Knuckles's version, specifically, which can be completed in five seconds. What, you thought it was the Sonic 2 one? You naive fool.
  • Eggfactory: You get to visit a dairy farm and gather the eggs to put into a carton to be shipped off for sale. Basically an Emerald Hunt stage.
  • Slime Valley: An old idea for Techno Hill Zone. We debated which name to give it, before ultimately settling on Techno Hill - however, we already had graphics made for Slime Valley at this point, and figured "eh, maybe somebody'll make a stage for this" and left it in. Obviously, that didn't pan out, and the graphics are gone now.
  • Freak Show: Remember Zim's Base? Right, well, this was a bonus stage based on Freakazoid!, which is the best show based on a freak ever made, obviously. Don't count on seeing it any time soon.
And that's all she wrote.
So dying while in Sweet Tooth would send you to Heinous Anus Zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back