OpenGL problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
OpenGL is slower than DirectX 9 by about 20 FPS. Also, OpenGL has numerous texture glitches, no support for fades in the Windows version, and overlapping polygons look absolutely horrible. There's no question, DirectX is the standard in graphics technology. Why would the big companies use OpenGL if it's too slow and looks bad?

FoxBlitzz said:
Why would the big companies use OpenGL if it's too slow and looks bad?
Because it's portable. In computers it looks like it doesn't make sense because the 90% is Windows, games are normally for Windows and you can use DirectX for it. But when developing the game for a console, unless it's XBox, you can't use DirectX.

I think you're confused. The DirectX version of SRB2 is software-drawn, and the OpenGL one is hardware-drawn. If we also had a Direct3D mode, it would look just like OpenGL.

I think you're confused. The DirectX version of SRB2 is software-drawn, and the OpenGL one is hardware-drawn. If we also had a Direct3D mode, it would look just like OpenGL.

The software mode uses DirectX 3. I'm talking about DirectX 9. HUGE difference.

Because it's portable. In computers it looks like it doesn't make sense because the 90% is Windows, games are normally for Windows and you can use DirectX for it. But when developing the game for a console, unless it's XBox, you can't use DirectX.

I wasn't talking about consoles. They use their own APIs except for Dreamcast. I was talking about major Windows games. They're developed in DirectX 9 and then ported over to OpenGL for Mac and possibly Linux later, or possibly never. OpenGL is mainly used by independant game designers and those who don't want to learn DirectX (It's more complicated).

FoxBlitzz said:
The software mode uses DirectX 3. I'm talking about DirectX 9. HUGE difference.

Whether it's DirectX 3 or DirectX 9, you're still just blitting pixels to the screen. It wouldn't look any different if we compiled SRB2 with the DirectX 9 SDK... it would just force users to have DX9 installed before it would run.

I never said you had to compile DirectX 9 into the executable. I just said it would be nice to overcome all the stupid problems OpenGL has with a DirectX 9 plug-in. Of course, the chances of someone developing this are astronomical.

And what I'm trying to tell you is that DirectX 9 would look just like the OpenGL version does. It's not a problem with OpenGL. It's a problem with SRB2's horrible hardware implementation.

Doom 3 and Quake 4 use OpenGL. I wouldn't say DirectX looks any better. They're just different ways of talking to the same hardware. OpenGL says "Hello", and DirectX says "Greetings". Same thing, different words.

SSNTails said:
Doom 3 and Quake 4 use OpenGL.
They use DirectX 9 by default.

SSNTails said:
I wouldn't say DirectX looks any better.
Well it's certainly more bug-free. And some of the annoyances ARE part of OpenGL itself, such as the darkening of edges and the fades not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back