Signature Line Image Filesize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use PHP to verify that these data are appropiate for each image:

- Height
- Width
- Filesize

If not, simple no show it, or display an error message.

Hmmm... I can't seem to compile PNGCRUSH on my Win2k machine. It keeps giving me a 'Binary operator not found' error on... uh... Line 556 in pngcrush.c

hotdog003 said:
Hmmm... I can't seem to compile PNGCRUSH on my Win2k machine. It keeps giving me a 'Binary operator not found' error on... uh... Line 556 in pngcrush.c

Umm, there should be a precompiled binary available on the website that you can get...

Really? For Windows? I didn't find any...
I'll look again.

EDIT: Of course. They just *HAD* to hide the .EXEs three-fourths down the page. :roll:
And I went to all that trouble to try and compile it...
Thanks for pointing this out, SSN.

1. Why to have more than one signature?

2. Have a list of predefined pictures is a good idea ;)

CZ64, those forums with bigass lists of pictures in their sigs are ANNOYING, not to mention it takes forever to load.

Why to load all of them at the same time?

I have a better idea: add files into the server and create buttons that put
Code:
[img=ffffffff.eee][/img]
And pictures must have low filesize.

Actually,
tags only display files with either a .bmp, .gif, .jpg, and a .png description. Example:
[img=http://www.sepwich.com/lotr-srb2/other/SRB2000.pcx]

Code:
Alrighty, now a newbie here pointed out that he saw a lot of people getting away with breaking the avatar rules, and while the avatar rules aren't being broken as much as he says, the signature rules really are. 

After doing a bunch of right clicking on older member's signature lines, almost every image in signatures I checked was rather large, some topping out around 70 KB. Images in signatures aren't supposed to be that big, really. Seriously, the point is to keep load time down...it's been a while since I checked, and I obviously lost out because of that. It's more than possible to have an avatar and signature banner in less than 20 KB, but it requires compression and some creativity. If it's too difficult with the images you're using, just use a basic text-based signature. Image compression is a powerful tool, and doesn't need to make your image look like crap as a result. 

okay how do you put a picture in the signature for pete's sake
I simply removed a lot of offending images to deal with the problem, mostly from older members that post a lot (since they were the posts that I checked). 

If you have an image in your signature still, please check it against the filesize limitations. 20 KB is rather tight, but it's more than doable if you try, so give it a shot. If some people have some suggestions on how to lower an image's filesize, feel free to post tips in this topic, I'd assume it'll be rather educational for a lot of the people on the forum, and helps keep bandwidth costs down on whatever website you use to host your images.

how do you put pics in the signature anyways

*sigh* We REALLY need to put that bumping rule back in.

You do realize this topic is over a year old, right? Anyhow, pictures in signatures have been disabled. They've been disabled for a while now. In case you haven't noticed, no one on the forum has a picture in their signature. Also, you cannot edit your profile at this time due to a bug with the MB.

http://sepwich.com/ssntails/mb/viewtopic.php?t=3017

FuriousFox said:
*sigh* We REALLY need to put that bumping rule back in.

You do realize this topic is over a year old, right? Anyhow, pictures in signatures have been disabled. They've been disabled for a while now. In case you haven't noticed, no one on the forum has a picture in their signature. Also, you cannot edit your profile at this time due to a bug with the MB.

http://sepwich.com/ssntails/mb/viewtopic.php?t=3017

Maybe there's a mod for not being able to post in topics if they have had no posts for a set period of time (excluding mods and admins) somewhere. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back