YOUR Artwork can be shown HERE!! (NO Sprite Rips, please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nitro_the_hedghog said:
Monster, give Classic amy some better shading, otherwise it looks really nice.

I'm not sure how I could improve her shading, as I based it off a pic of her back in the SSBSS topic. It didn't have much shading.

But thanks for the comment anyway. Classic Amy is being worked on slowly, but in comparison to the other things I'm working on it's being worked on quite fast.

Well, her pink appears to only be using 2 shades of pink, . I suggest a darker value and a shine.

Well, you'll want to fix the medium shade, because all I see is a light pink and a dark pink. Otherwise, the animation looks brilliant.

Blue Warrior said:
Well, you'll want to fix the medium shade, because all I see is a light pink and a dark pink. Otherwise, the animation looks brilliant.

That won't work, because then it would appear to merge into the brightest shade rather than the darker shade. Instead I've darkened the darker shade, as well as the medium shade of red on the thing on her head (I don't know what it's called, and I'm definitely not talking about her hair).

Here is the result from doing this to all the sprites for Classic Amy, and it may almost look the same as it was before.
AMEEA1-2.png
AMEEA2A8-2.png
AMEEA3A7-1.png
AMEEA4A6-1.png
AMEEA5-1.png

AMEED1-1.png
AMEEE1.png
AMEEF1.png
AMEEG1.png
AMEEH1.png
AMEEI1.png
AMEEJ1.png
AMEEK1.png

AMEEWALK2.gif

sonic_practice.jpg

Yeah...sorry for such a big size...-.- With my lack in patience, I don't want to break my printer just so I can use the scanner...Plus, my parents would never understand the reason. So, taken with my camera...a sketch of Sonic's head and arm(s). I had a previous picture...but this one, I looked at the previous picture and drew that...I told ya, I'm terrible at drawing...>.<

Edit: Sorry...That's as small as that picture gets...so deal with it!

Rescaling it using a drawing editor? Also, you could have as well posted a link to it instead.

Don't have drawing editor...and my Photoshop is expired. I'd rather not post the link...it's not that I don't mind people seeing this...just I have no trust in people.

We could as well download the image to the hard disk and use our copy somewhere else :P

And even Paint would have done for the resizing.

Monster Iestyn said:
Blue Warrior said:

That won't work, because then it would appear to merge into the brightest shade rather than the darker shade. Instead I've darkened the darker shade, as well as the medium shade of red on the thing on her head (I don't know what it's called, and I'm definitely not talking about her hair).

I've said this before, but you should be using an entirely different color range. If you are using a program into which you can import the SRB2 palette, then look for the range of reds from color index 16 to 47. If you are just looking at the palette to find the colors then its the first bright color to show up after white and looks like a (pastel?) reddish color. If you use that then you will have more shades than you need, and you will then have to figure out which shades to use and how many which is (in my humble opinion) a major part of graphical artwork along with doodling and planning.

I'd also make another version in the 1.1 palette, because then you will be able to use a more extensive range of purple shades to make her look more like the original. (Don't even try the v1.09.4 purple)

Also work with the spines a bit, I'm not sure if it was I'll Begin or Light Dasher, but they had a version of it that had shorter spines. I still like the way you are going with it, while I personally like the SA look better for Amy better (where the spines look like hair), I'm surprised this community has not yet completed a WAD with her old-school look.

Anyways, I'm not as good with pixel art with some people, and don't have the patience to finish a character WAD, I have at least one wip that I'm probably never going to finish. However I do have a couple things handy to show off... I'd like to show off a level with my own custom textures at some point though...

I made this for XMAS.wad a while back... was the Christmas version of the BRAK patch in Zero Ring zone, chances are most of you never saw it. (Background is one of the GIMP background options, I didn't make that)
Grinch.png

I made this just recently on request for a logo on another forum. I had originally made a smaller version (pure pixel art). I went to enlarge it by expanding it to a pixellated mess and then drew another one over it. I had a little bit of difficulty because it relied a little more on freeform drawing than lines and tiny pixel curves. I treated the whole thing like a giant work of pixel art and then blended it with various filters while giving the coffee a bit of dodge-burn treatment.
CoffeeCup.png

Looking back on the both of them, I could've been more accurate on the Grinch if I had more to go off of than one or two google images and vague memories, and I could have used the dodge to define the handle a bit more like I did with the rim, and burn the other side of the rim. I'm positive there are many other ways to improve on both (even if I keep the SRB2 palette limitations for the Grinch) but I'm quite satisfied with these.

JEV3 said:
I've said this before, but you should be using an entirely different color range. If you are using a program into which you can import the SRB2 palette, then look for the range of reds from color index 16 to 47. If you are just looking at the palette to find the colors then its the first bright color to show up after white and looks like a (pastel?) reddish color. If you use that then you will have more shades than you need, and you will then have to figure out which shades to use and how many which is (in my humble opinion) a major part of graphical artwork along with doodling and planning.

I'd also make another version in the 1.1 palette, because then you will be able to use a more extensive range of purple shades to make her look more like the original. (Don't even try the v1.09.4 purple)

Also work with the spines a bit, I'm not sure if it was I'll Begin or Light Dasher, but they had a version of it that had shorter spines. I still like the way you are going with it, while I personally like the SA look better for Amy better (where the spines look like hair), I'm surprised this community has not yet completed a WAD with her old-school look.

Actually, I based the Classic Amy I'm making off that pic of her that I think I'll Begin posted. Light Dasher didn't seem to be doing so well at making her, so I decided to join in. Once again, I beat Light Dasher's sprites with mine, just like with my pic of Blaze (except I didn't stop on just the first sprite!). The reason I used the reddish-pinks for my Classic Amy was because those were about the same colours that the Amy in that pic I mentioned earlier had in it.

Here is the pic I was talking about:
110px-Sonicjam_amy_32.png

As for your suggestions to improve it... The pinks from 16 to 47, they're not reddish at all. And they're not very good with Amy, SA or Old-School version.

As for the idea about using the 1.1 pallete, it would have the right purples for Amy. But I see no point in doing so, not until 1.1 is out. Why? I'm planning to make a character WAD for 1.09.4 from these sprites and more to come. I don't really like any Purple with Amy personally.

As with the spines business, I thought they were fine as they were. Did Old-School Amy ever have shorter spines than Sonic? No... well, not that I know of, actually.

And finally... There was an Old School Amy WAD, made by Donnyku. Trouble is, Donnyku's Amy didn't look enough like Amy, not even the Old School version. It was partly because of the purple color Donnyku used for his Amy, as well as the hair not done correctly. And the faults don't stop there!

omega4yq1.png

Made this in a Com. Tech class, using Photoshop and a tablet...

It's nothing fancy (but plenty messy), but I thought I'd post it anyways.

Don't even get me started on inking...

Monster Iestyn said:
Actually, I based the Classic Amy I'm making off that pic of her that I think I'll Begin posted. Light Dasher didn't seem to be doing so well at making her, so I decided to join in. Once again, I beat Light Dasher's sprites with mine, just like with my pic of Blaze (except I didn't stop on just the first sprite!). The reason I used the reddish-pinks for my Classic Amy was because those were about the same colours that the Amy in that pic I mentioned earlier had in it.
Whoa hold on there sally, You've already prooven that your flipping sprites are better then mine, but you don't have to brag about it in every art topic, and by the way, The blaze sprite is I'll begin's, he just let me use it

light dasher said:
Monster Iestyn said:
Actually, I based the Classic Amy I'm making off that pic of her that I think I'll Begin posted. Light Dasher didn't seem to be doing so well at making her, so I decided to join in. Once again *(ain't that the truth)*, I beat Light Dasher's sprites with mine, just like with my pic of Blaze (except I didn't stop on just the first sprite!). The reason I used the reddish-pinks for my Classic Amy was because those were about the same colours that the Amy in that pic I mentioned earlier had in it.
Whoa hold on there sally, You've already prooven that your flipping sprites are better then mine, but you don't have to brag about it in every art topic

Yes, I've noticed this too; it's getting really redundant. Just because you made a few sprites that looked better than another person's doesn't give you the right to be a braggart and be rude. You have to give points to light dasher for trying. As for this topic, well, I've yet to see anything else posted by you that wasn't just blatant egomania... Also, for a while now, we've only seen front walking sprites, and nothing else. :|

</offtopic>

As for art, well... does photography count? (The following images were resized from 3648 x 2736, 4:3 aspect ratio.)

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

I've been told to have a keen eye for photography, but meh, I'm pretty average if anything. I still take lots of pictures, though, regardless of whether or not I'm a professional simply because it's fun to do! I don't see the point in doing something if you don't enjoy it, even if it's work or something to sustain your monetary income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back