• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Pony Blast 2. (Placeholder name.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rissian Cloud

Wayward Brony
I don't know if anyone remembers us or not, but we were working on a Celestia wad awhile ago. Anyways I've started this thread to reveal our large scale mod project. It's basically an overhaul of Srb2 with pony maps, characters and more. Before anyone asks I have actually worked with doom builder for years so we do have experience with mod design. I may delve into Lua as well for more in depth edits but that is for another day.

Planned Features :
A campaign mode. (Though it's more like adventure mode with hub maps.)
Multiple Ponies to play as, which Disolia will be handling.
Custom Lua abilities for each pony. (Depends on how srb2 handles Lua.)
A complete world change (No vanilla srb2 maps will be in this mod.)
A custom intro.

We have some more features planned but they haven't been set in stone yet.
==================================================
Neighagra Ruins with 4 almost finished ponies.
Doctor%20Whooves_zpsug3hn1pz.png

BonBon_zpsu3o9qn6p.png

Octavia_zpslfl1feif.png

srb20010_zpsqo0pj8kf.png
These screenshots are all a WIP, and we have gained permission from the author to make ponies out of their base sprites, and to use existing sprites for ponies like Octavia and Bon Bon.

We've been trying to contact the person who made the Applejack wad but we can't find them so we won't be including her by default if anyone asks we do have a modified version of her though. As you can also see the maps are undecorated because they're not done yet.

We've just received permission to use some of the existing pony wads which will save us a good amount of time.

This mod is still really early but we do have a sprite artist helping us along with Disolia, who also uses the base sprites to add new ponies.

Author Credits so far :
Urimas for letting us use his sprites and base sprites.
Disolia character wad designer, sprite editor and ability concept designer.
Rissian map designer and future lua scripter.
Akb778 for letting us use his pony wads.

Because this is a WIP many aspects are subject to change at any time.

Last edited:
I think you'll find SRB2's Lua hooks flexible enough to allow for any ability you might want to make. The system is more than capable of crazy overhauls to the base gameplay, if you've ever seen Rosy, Quickman or (shameless plug) Space Chase.

Are you sure you guys have the scripters needed to get all of your ideas done? I'd be more than willing to help if you guys need assistance.

Well I'm currently the only scripter, and I'm rather new to Lua though I have used other languages. A few months of C# and a few years of scripting for smaller languages. So having help would be pretty great. My more experienced area is map design.

Looking forward to this. When you say the campaign is going to be an "adventure" mode, do you mean that it is only for hanging-out online, or will there be actual gameplay involved? Boppin' enemies, collecting not-rings... that sorta thing.

The campaign will be kinda like Sonic Adventure's setup with a hub world that connects to various maps. I assume custom exit can handle that and if not Lua probably can. It's not meant for hangout but I suppose people could use it on the casual room if they wanted to. It'll certainly have things to do in it. If Lua is flexible enough maybe even text dialogue but that's a big stretch I don't know how much Lua is integrated into Srb2. Maybe Red can fill me in on the more detailed aspect, or the wiki.

We currently have 3 hub worlds planned.
Canterlot.
Ponyville.
Cloudsdale.

Just don't expect a release too soon, as I do have a few things that can keep me pretty busy time to time.

This sounds very promising. Here's to hoping it all goes well.

Out of curiosity is there a full list of all the planned playable Ponies?

Due to the fact that I’m an amateur sprite artist that is currently only doing this as a hobby the following lists are subjected to change, and should not be treated as the holy bible.

Guaranteed Characters
This list contains characters that have been completed or are at the end of their completion stage.
1.) Doctor Whooves
2.) Derpy Hooves
3.) Celestia
4.) Luna
5.) Pinkamena
6.) Octavia
7.) Applejack
8.) Fluttershy
9.) Rainbow Dash
10.) Bon Bon
11.) Maud Pie

Probable Characters
This list contains characters that have already been started and are beyond 30% complete.
1.) Vinyl Scratch
2.) Big Macintosh
3.) Daring Do
4.) Rarity
5.) Pinkie Pie
6.) Twilicorn
7.) Trixie
8.) Berry Punch
9.) Parasprites (Enemies)

Planned
This list contains characters that haven’t been started yet or are in the infancy stage of development, but will be in the game.
1.) Daisy
2.) Lily
3.) Rose
4.) Lyra
5.) Nurse Red-Heart
6.) Caramel
7.) Flitter
8.) Thunderlane

Complications:
This list contains planned characters that have currently run into some technical issues, and have been put on hold for the time being.
1.) Zecora
2.) Spike
3.) Applebloom
4.) Scootaloo
5.) Sweetiebelle
6.) Changelings (Enemies)
7.) Metal Rainbow dash
8.) Chickens
9.) Spit Fire

Improbable:
This list contains characters that are out of my realm of skill, or are characters I generally rather not waste time on due to their complexity or other reasons.
1.) Discord
2.) Chrysalis
3.) King Sombra
4.) Mane-iac
5.) Cadence
6.) Others; I don’t feel like mentioning by names.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to step in and say that you're really going to have to provide some evidence for these claims beyond some proof of concept screenshots. This is a very ambitious project and needs some solid evidence of progress. If you guys are as far along as you say you are, you're gonna have to provide more relevant screenshots.

I never implied anywhere that this was anywhere near finished. All we have right now are some finished character wads with vanilla abilities and WIP maps. Do you want a video of those character wads? Because we have that, but none of the maps are worth their salt yet.

11 No posting about project plans without proof that you have started. Likewise, do not ask people to make things for you.

I assumed what we had was enough for that?

Last edited:
I never implied anywhere that this was anywhere near finished. All we have right now are some finished character wads with vanilla abilities and WIP maps. Do you want a video of those character wads? Because we have that, but none of the maps are worth their salt yet.

Just seeing the characters in motion for now would be great.

Just a heads up about the hub worlds, Currently you're going to need redundant versions of each hub map provided you don't plan on having the player spawn at the same spot each time they return to it.

if you can somehow make SRB2 handle level changes the same way as Hexen, then you might only need one.

It sounds to me like you're going into the classic overambitious trap instead of starting small and then working your way up to a larger and larger scope. Starting with an overly complicated project will just lead to failure when the amount of effort necessary to actually see any working results becomes incredibly high. Instead I suggest if you actually want to make such a project work, start with a small amount of playable characters with a couple stages, and release demos to get feedback on your work to determine if you're going in the right direction. As you get more and more done you can increase the scale to match your content.

creepypastas are shit and nobody wants anything related to them...

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Creepypastas are anything but scary, and hardly interesting to begin with.

Onto the topic, though, that's a huge list of characters you got there. Did you even get to plan unique abilities for each of them?

Yeah we have a a lot of things planned out already. But I think we're going to take Mystic's approach and we're going to work on the core things first. As long as it's okay for this to be the editing topic that is. I think we can focus on our current goals right now, maps and balancing our existing characters. We can always add the custom abilities at anytime once we're ready to. I guess for now they can use vanilla abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLPmifihyAw Fluttershy was made by Akb778.
Please excuse my horrible xbox headset, it gets really distorted and loud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back