Summer Of Sonic Lived Up To It's Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

daiches99

Summer Of Sonic has DEFINITELY lived up to it's expectations.

Upon entering I got a Sonic Art book filled with a lot of Sonic pictures (obviously), I also got a stamp on my hand so I could re-enter whenever, I currently go around with the SEGA logo on my left hand haha!

1. There were demos of 'Mario And Sonic At The Winter Olympic Games' for DS and Wii, there was also a demo for 'Sonic and All Stars Racing'.
Unfortunately you weren't allowed to record it, but the games are all awesome.

'Mario And Sonic At The Winter Olympic Games' is very different to it's prequel mainly due to the snow changing the whole thing.

Wii:
When you start your event, it will show the event and where it is taking place before showing the controls e.g. Snowboarding, Radical Highway.
Unfortunately I was only able to play Hockey and Snowboarding.

Hockey works like football, you move around with the control stick and swing the Wii Remote to kick the ball. Hockey is actually very fast paced, when the two players get close it can get hard to get the puck past without turning around.

Snowboarding is very interesting but can be difficult to pick up on. You use the Wii Remote, Nunchuck (optional) or the Wii balance board (optional).
To move forward you have to tilt the Wii remote forwards which makes it harder to turn left and right, by lifting it up you slow down until you stop.
By turning the Wii remote left and right you will turn (depending on which way you turn it obviously), by jolting the Wii remote upwards you jump in which you can jolt the Wii remote: up; down; left or right which makes you perform tricks. There are boxes like in Mario Kart which gives you items such as Mushrooms; Stars; Turtles etc, pressing the 'A' button uses the item.
The problem is that it takes you a while to accelerate and it makes it hard to overtake people.

DS:
You wouldn't believe the amount of people who queued up to do this, plus you could only do one event and then the next person as a turn.
I only managed to do snowboarding but it is very fun!

Just like the Wii version, the graphics for the game is very surprising for it's console.
Snowboarding is actually very fun on the DS.
You use the D-pad to move around, the 'B' button is used to jump off of ramps, the two shoulder buttons ('L' and 'R') are used to drift around corners and and Y button is to boost.
This one is extremely fast compared to the Wii version but hasn't got any rails in it.

I would give the Wii Snowboarding 7/10, Wii Hockey 8/10 and DS Snowboarding 9/10

The queue for Sega and All Stars Racing was HUGE so I never bothered trying, from what I saw though, the tracks are incredibly graphical but can be slightly laggy at a few points but not for long. This was for PS3/Xbox360, the Wii version wasn't there unfortunately.
From what I saw, I would give SASASR from looks 8.5/10

2. The room is actually huge do there are a lot of things around the place such as Cos-players, Bandstand, Sonic Art Sales, Art Area and the game area.

Bentley Jones sang a few songs such as Seven Rings In Hand, he actually got some of the audience to stand up and sing to the songs for prizes. His latest album was also for sale.
Wentos also came up on stage with his chao puppet, rings (literally Sonic rings) were hidden all over the place, and if you found one then you could take it to Wentos' for his chao to give you a free Sonic game or rare goodie!
Some original Sonic Artwork was for sale as well, £20 a piece! That's roughly $33 a piece!
There was an art case containing some unreleased Sonic items such as Sonic gloves, Sonic rush speed sneakers, SATBK Sword with Wii Remote holder, Limited Edition Gold Premium Sonic Adventure 2 Music Disc, Transparent Sonic 10th Anniversary Figure and more!

More To Come!

Last edited:
And here I am without a booth, there goes the SRB2 advertisement. ^_~

Call me if Bentley Jones does another remix of a song *shot*

...No but seriously, Bentley Jones is my favorite Sonic song artist. I've even got someone else liking him too.

Sadly, I have no way to get to London from across the Atlantic, so I won't be showing up :(

What the above two users said.

Maybe some summer I'll have enough money to get to England.

I wish I could be there but the only way I could is if I found a warp pipe to Mario Bros. Plumbing. The Mario Bros. are from London!

I'm not going!
London is a neat place, don't get me wrong, but I'm not going all the way over there for something about Sonic.

Well, it's an interesting idea and all and I've had a few mates from the interwebs ask me already if I'm going to the Summer 'o Sonic. But it just doesn't interest me enough, as I haven't had much interest in his recent games and what not. That and I'm not up for making the trip to London just for one day, so I'll give this a pass.

Although, to all those who are going (assuming anyone from the SRB2 community is), Enjoy!

Living about an hour and a half away from the Boiler Room, I could quite easily go, but I can't see there being much there of interest, to be honest.

Either way, I decided to drop them an email out of curiosity regarding 2010 booths, just to see what they'd say. =P

I live in England, and see no need to go. But then again, I'd only go if there was something big that was Mother related. (Like that's gonna happen)

If it was some place I could reach, I would consider going. If they had SatAM releated stuff for sale then I would be going if I could reach them.

I'd go, but I don't really fancy driving for 3/4 hours to get there, nor do I like the idea of navigating London's confusing road network without any prior knowledge of where I'm going, especially with city traffic. Suppose I could get the train but to be quite honest, I can think of better reasons to travel to London than to go to a Sonic convention (like driving one of these), hope all those that are going have a great time, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back