Fawfulfan Presents: Yet another M.U.G.E.N. question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
This is another question regarding the fighting game, M.U.G.E.N.

You know how you can change the number of rows and columns on the Character Select screen in system.def? And how you can change the size of the portraits in the boxes? I've done all that to allow for more characters, but there's one thing I can't figure out how to change: the size of the little boxes which the portraits are in. They remain the same size. I need to know if there's a way to change the size of the box sprites.

Just so you know, I use a type of M.U.G.E.N. called Super Smash Bros Brawl ZX.

No, I can create as many boxes as I want. The problem is that they remain the same size, but overlap as though they were smaller.

I think the problem is that it's using a sprite of a fixed size. Do you know how you might shrink that sprite?

Okay here's a screenshot:
35aojgz.jpg

As you can see, the pics are properly lined up, BUT the boxes containing them did not resize, so there's a bunch of messy overlap.

Is there a fix for this?

Yeah, it might be the screenpack. If you changed the number or boxes, the alignment goes wrong, and becomes glitchy. It's the way that the screenpack was supposed to be as. If there is a version that was included with it that allows more characters to be used, then I'd use that one. There is a program I used to have that lets you align the boxes, but I cannot find it currently.

fawfulfan said:
Is there a fix for this?
It's called breaking out the image-editing tools and resizing them manually. That's about all you can do.

But I think that the boxes in that screenpack are governed by sprites. If I could shrink down the box sprites inside the screenpack, would that do the trick? And what sort of program would allow me to do that?

Sorry to double-post, but I have to bring this to attention.

I need to know what sort of program you would use to edit PCX files for MUGEN. DO NOT SAY PHOTOSHOP, I CAN ONLY USE FREEWARE!!!!!

I see that MUGEN inherits a lot from Allegro. You can edit PCX files in GIMP, which is a free download.

But still, why would you ever need or want that many characters? Doesn't that flood the game with bugginess and make it impossible to get familiar with all of them?

The more the characters, the longer the loading time. Fighter Factory also loads PCX files and can save them as BMP files.
Shrinking down the boxes in say, paint might not work, since the size of the actual portraits has to be on the screenpack that you use. There certain portrait sizes in the character that are triggered to be used and be resized in the game.

Manic said:
The more the characters, the longer the loading time.

Not for me. My game isn't any slower than when I got it. And I like having an insane amount of characters. For me, the more characters that are available, not only are there more options, but Arcade Mode is never the same twice around.

AARGH I'm double posting again! But if I just edited my previous post, no one would know I need more help.

Whenever I take PCX files in a preexisting character and try to edit them in Fighter Factory, they become invalid, and the game doesn't recognize them!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG! GAAAAH!

It's most likely because the colors used are not in the color pallete, so the colors get messed up. You can't just stick another sprite in there that isn't in the pallete.

Mission accomplished! I managed to create a playable Fawful in MUGEN! AND I got the screen to look right, which was my question in the first place. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back