Black Mesa (Source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRB2-Playah

Ne'er-Do-Anythin'
(This thread applies only to the Source-based subculture of the SRB2 MB)

Black Mesa (Previously known as Black Mesa: Source) is an upcoming total-conversion mod for Valve's Source Engine, and is a complete fan-made remake of Half-Life 1 from the ground up.
Before you say "Valve's already made a HL1 remake. Half-Life: Source, dingbat," Half-Life: Source was pretty much a straight port to the Source Engine, with little change. This is a nearly total ground-up remake.

The maps are being made from scratch, with layout matching that of HL1's original map layout, but with environmental detail to match Half-Life 2.
Most of the models are being made from scratch as well, aside from models already present in Half-Life 2.
The storyline is being tweaked to match better with Half-Life spin-offs Opposing Force, Blue Shift and Decay, but remains largely the same.

And it looks amazingly beautiful. Far beyond the quality of regular mods. YouTube Trailer released recently
Black Mesa website
I advise you to browse the Media section.

And before you ask "Does Valve know about this?", they do. They only requested that the name be changed from Black Mesa: Source, as they didn't want people to think this was made by Valve. So, the name is now simply Black Mesa.
This mod will run on the Orange Box version of the Source Engine, so the Orange Box is required to play. It is planned to be released sometime in 2009.

Personally, I am geeking out, especially after that trailer.

It seems they're using combine soldiers in the place of the military guys too, though. How does that work for Opposing Force? Or did they simply not have models ready at the time of the trailor?...

Not sure what you're seeing. I don't see any Combine.
I know they have military models. There are pictures of them in the Media section.

This thing. Coming down the stairs. It seems like it has military clothes on the limbs, yet it clearly has a hidden, black face/chest with glowing eyes, giving the impression of some form of Combine. This is the clearest shot of it I could get, I'm sure you can understand my confusion.

Hm, I can see where you're getting at JTE. On first glance, those guys definitely appear to be Combine, save for the army gear.

Maybe they're supposed to be goggles of some sort?

This may shed a little more light... The soldier on the right appears to be wearing a gas mask of some kind. That's likely what we're seeing in the video...

My only gripe remains the fact they couldn't possibly get the official voice actors to enact some of the lines in this. It'd be damn impressive to get the G-Man himself to re-act his closing lines.

Sure, but barring the lady making the announcements on the tram, all of the voice clips are quite low-quality recordings. Oh, and HL1 G-Man doesn't really sound like HL2 G-Man.

..but it's on the PC, so I'm naturally not going to be able to run it.

Also, sounds interesting, though it's just another single player FPS!

I barely remember playing HL1 but this mod might be the best mod in the whole universe. With that said it looks very very nice and a little nostalgic for recreating scenes.

Although Gorden looks really weird though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back