Official Level Design Contest Voting: July/August 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Warrior said:
As for... "FF's Stupid rule", what's your beef against it? I mean, really, one map by the same author per division is enough, and it encourages quality over quantity.

It's because he liked making a load of poorly done maps and entering them all at once, I'm sure he'll get over it in time.

No, it was a number of factors.
First take a look at the timing of the rule. The contest that came before when the rule was added, was it a repeat of the January/February 07 or the November/December 07 contests that either me or Sonic master submitted a lot of subpar levels? No, it wasn't. Making it look like nothing was currently calling for the rule to exist.
There was also a string of contests with rule breaking levels starting with January/February 08 up to May/June 08 when the new rule was added. This made it look like FF could not enforce the current rules of the contest. before adding his own into the mix. Even his new rule was accidently broken last contest.

I've also found a few loopholes in FF's new rule. One of which is having a former member (such as Sales) send in your entry under their name. Which then makes it harder to tell who made what.

Oh and Cue, I will get over this with time, but how much time it will take is another matter.

glaber said:
First take a look at the timing of the rule. The contest that came before when the rule was added, was it a repeat of the January/February 07 or the November/December 07 contests that either me or Sonic master submitted a lot of subpar levels? No, it wasn't. Making it look like nothing was currently calling for the rule to exist.

So, let me get this straight. You don't think it should have been added, because the damage was already done. But... what about later contests, when someone decides they want to post a lot of levels? Just because a rule was late for some other contests doesn't mean it shouldn't restrict a flow in later contests.
And actually, to be frank, you still submit a lot of subpar levels. Little has changed in that regard.

There was also a string of contests with rule breaking levels starting with January/February 08 up to May/June 08 when the new rule was added. This made it look like FF could not enforce the current rules of the contest. before adding his own into the mix. Even his new rule was accidently broken last contest.

This is because FuriousFox is not omniscient and doesn't always know if the level has been released before. Sure, the contest could be a little better managed in that regard (and I believe I have an idea on how), but it seems to me like you're being a total dick to him about it.

I've also found a few loopholes in FF's new rule. One of which is having a former member (such as Sales) send in your entry under their name.
Aaand, if people find out that you did that?

Blue Warrior said:
glaber said:

So, let me get this straight. You don't think it should have been added, because the damage was already done. But... what about later contests, when someone decides they want to post a lot of levels? Just because a rule was late for some other contests doesn't mean it shouldn't restrict a flow in later contests.
And actually, to be frank, you still submit a lot of subpar levels. Little has changed in that regard.
If it absolutly had to be added it would of been better if it was closer to either of the 2 contests mentioned earlier.

Regarding my subpar levels, I could always bring back Battle Woods. Starting with act 5. (Act 4 was taken)

Blue Warrior said:

This is because FuriousFox is not omniscient and doesn't always know if the level has been released before. Sure, the contest could be a little better managed in that regard (and I believe I have an idea on how), but it seems to me like you're being a total dick to him about it.

And I don't expect him to be omniscient. He isn't Q after all. What I expect for him to uphold the rules and disquallify rule breaking levels when the proof is brought into light. This is why I didn't include the last contest in the string.

Blue Warrior said:
I've also found a few loopholes in FF's new rule. One of which is having a former member (such as Sales) send in your entry under their name.
Aaand, if people find out that you did that?

They might suspect a few unknowns of doing this as well if this happened. But this is just one of the loop holes possible and why would I use a loophole I exposed? It would make more sence to use one that is still unrevealed.

Glaber's Signature said:
MR. F. Fox, it's time to pass on the Contest Torch. (Late again Mr. Fox)

Your entire hate of that rule may be explained here, because it sounds to me like you just want to host it yourself.

At least, that's what I'm getting from your signature... >_>

I swear we've been here before, too, was it you who was all "Let me run the contest!" a while back, or am I mixing up the users?

That was me for awhile, but I guess I need to reword my signature because I'm inelegliable for hosting.

Edit, Afterthought: I've thought about it and I'm going to PM Furoious Fox and see if we can't come to a compromise about the rule.

Glaber said:

We have gone over this one many times with you, but you just can't get this embedded into your head.

It doesn't matter if they send in rule breaking ones. If you see any, just say so and link to the proof and vote on it like you would with any other level. Even though you have voted, the map will not win!

Please read that bolded and underlined paragraph multiple times. We are not going to argue any more about this shit. Also, if you decide to use that "loophole". I am pretty sure when we find out, you will be banned from the contest plus the person you are using to do the loophole with. I am quite sure you don't want a ruined reputation so I would highly suggest that you don't even try it. We will know one way or another.

That being said. It does also apply to the rest of you guys. If anyone does see a rule breaking map in a contest, say so and show us proof by links or screen shots and vote on the map like if it was a legal entry. Since we now know it is disqualified, it won't win the contest.

Ok, ok, I get the idea. I know already that using a loop hole to get around this rule is bad and I just not going to do it. At one point I was considering using one, but after reading the conquence it's not even worth it.

Edit: I just PM'ed FF about Rule 4 and part of the PM was for wishing to make peace.

Alrighty. I am glad you finally understand what will happen if and when it happens again. I do remember Mystic saying something similar to my post two contests ago? Either way, now you and anyone else will know what to do and that being said, We should now try to get FF to add what people should do if they encounter this situation.

Also, FF posting up the contest threads late has always been like that. Just to clarify again: unless we say so, consider that the next contest will happen.

I would've asked this on the pre-voting topic, but that's not up, so this is the next best spot:

Would it be acceptable to enter a level into the OLDC that assumes the player already has already gone through rigorous player training? I mean, to some extend, everyone has the basic player training of springs, deathpits, and crawlas. But on the other hand, I don't want to make a level that's frustrating because the player doesn't know what to do. Thoughts?

(To put this in context, think about Portal. When aking a custom map for Portal, it would be reasonable to assume that everyone has finished the single-player campaign. However, any new gimmicks after that have to be introduced. Problem is, though, that you don't want to play out the same player training in each new level that uses said gimmick. Conversely, nobody wants to play a map with a gimmick they haven't had any experience in, and the map doesn't teach the player how the gimmick works.)

Options:

- Go the Omochao Route with Linedef Type 113. Easiest, but not as cool. However, you'd be best going with this route after seeing FFZ1.
- Introduce the gimmick in absolute dead give-away form at first, if possible.
- Use Cut-Away View, if that helps.
- Don't use the gimmick.

Thing is, though, the player training needed for said gimmick will exist. I'm mainly wondering if requiring the player training beforehand is questionable or not. Although screw it, I'd rather just have the maps not be publicly released in the contest.

I'm also really sick and tired of you assuming that I'm still where I was back when I made FFZ1. I'm not asking for you to criticize me based on previous work, I'm asking you to tell me what you think about an idea. Stop it now.

Since the editing topic is absent and I want to give a hint about my 1 player entry, I might as well do it here.

This upcoming contest I'm entering another Special Stage. It will not be in the mode seven style, and the music choice is idmus19 in SRB2 demo 4.35. (I found out how to turn mus files into midi)

Oh and no need to worry about the converted midi being too loud this time I chose a lower volume setting before converting.

Please. Please. Medivo Act 1. That's what I've kinda been waiting for. Daimondus[sic] Act 2 proved that you can make good Single Player stages as well. How many of us are interested in a Special Stage? Not any of us, really. I want some actual competition from you.

Ice said:
I hate special stages.

I just hate the Srb2 ones, those are horrible. I hope you can come up with a special stage that acutally feels uniqe.

Medivo act 1 may be a bit off still. this time of year is when I also wrok on SRB2 Halloween updates and after that SRB2 Christmas Updates.

But hey. I'll start on Medivo act 1 any way. Just don't expect it untill OLDC Nov/Dec 08 as well as another NiGHTS stage to complete the Year of NiGHTS

Freezing Flare Zone Act 2 is pretty much done. Just need to wait for the topic, so I can submit, although I'm tempted to just submit it anyways without the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back